What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamba Osaka v Adelaide United Grand Final Legs 1 & 2 Discussion

fish eel

Immortal
An A-League team will never win the ACL while:

a). They are forced to play a year after their qualification
b). The salary cap ensures good players inevitably leave after a good season

I'm not advocating a removal of the salary cap, by the way, just pointing out that it ensures that the side appearing in the ACL rarely features the players who got them there.

Not necessarily.

Who have Newcastle lost from their GF winning team that would make a difference?

Bridge and Musalik? They good have kept one if Con was prepared to use the 'olyroo' marquee? ;-)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Who have Newcastle lost from their GF winning team that would make a difference?

I'd argue that they were pretty huge losses. They're not doing too poorly for Sydney, and that's without having formed the kind of combinations they'd established after a few years at Newcastle. Johnson wasn't exactly a slouch for us, either.

Con is an idiot. I'm not going to argue that. I hate that he's affiliated with my club, even though it's his buck.

fish eel

Immortal
I'd argue that they were pretty huge losses. They're not doing too poorly for Sydney, and that's without having formed the kind of combinations they'd established after a few years at Newcastle. Johnson wasn't exactly a slouch for us, either.

Con is an idiot. I'm not going to argue that. I hate that he's affiliated with my club, even though it's his buck.

I'm not saying they weren't bad losses, but atleast one could have been kept.

In any case, yes, the cap is the biggest hurdle we face in winning this title.

We just dont have the capability to attract the same foreign quslity as the j-league clubs. And the best local players tend to stay in the j-league longer.

Misanthrope

Staff member
We just dont have the capability to attract the same foreign quslity as the j-league clubs. And the best local players tend to stay in the j-league longer.

More allowances need to be made for cashed up clubs to splash out cash on top quality players. I do think the salary cap is there with good reason, but at the same time, I'd like to see more 'loopholes' in place for the clubs with cash to build competitive squads. Even if it meant one side dominating - it would raise the profile of the competition to have 'marquee' players with some genuine marquee value.

griffo346

First Grade
To be fair guys if this was played straight after Adelaide's 6-0 loss to Melbourne i don't think we would of made the final.

IMO i think its our imports that are helping us and these imports weren't there when we lost 6-0 to Melbourne

Latest posts