What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game 3 Squads

For the first time in the last 5 or so seasons, there hasn't been a thread directly after an Origin game asking for opinions for a NSW squad for the next game.

For a change, NSW appear to be the settled unit with one change at most based on performance, and any others dependent on injuries in the next couple of rounds of NRL.

In contrast, QLD are looking at making several changes to their squad, with some big decisions as to which route they take.

Backs.
With Slater out, four players will be in contention for this important position - Inglis, Boyd, Bowen, Barba. With the NSW kicking game having been below average in the first two games, the new FB will probably have the opportunity to make a big impact up at Lang Park. Selecting Inglis or Boyd will require a reshuffle of the backline, whereas Bowen & Barba will allow the existing right & left-side combinations to be maintained. Nielson, Chambers, Tonga appear to be out of form or injured. Could Justin O'Neil get a gig?

Inglis has been a standout at FB for Souths this year and if this were the only consideration, he would be shifted there immediately. But he'll have to be replaced at left centre. Barba or Bowen will probably strengthen the squad overall but a player such as Inglis getting involved so much more would probably give NSW a mountain of headaches.

Forwards.
Thaiday will probably return to replace the injured Parker. Taylor will resume his position as Thaiday's right-side interchange relief on the bench and really needs to be used in middle of the game in the final 15 of the 1st and opening 15 of the 2nd half, rather than the end of the match when it could be on the line. Harrison was at fault for the 2nd of B.Stewart's tries but should maintain his place over on the left-edge. Gillet has had limited impact off the bench in both games so far, but his quality is undeniable and he covers more bases than a sole impact back off the bench.

I'd like some opinions on big Petero. The big fella has been a stalwart for QLD over the years, and deserves the opportunity to go out with respect and on the field, but it seems to me that he has gone on one year to long in the Origin arena. The QLD culture will mean he will get this chance, and even as a NSWelshman, I hope he plays lights out, but he appears to be weak link in the middle at the moment.

Mal and his advisers will have to find solutions to a few problems in the next couple fo weeks.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Having watched a few Souths games this year, and noted the improvement in the squad, I had high hopes for Taylor's Origin campaign. The signs were that he was finally dispelling criticisms about being a player not willing to do the rough stuff. In certain games so far this season he had been devastating.

But sadly this form has not been brought to rep level. It is a disappointment, but it should not have been unexpected. Taylor is yet to develop a hardened mentality that is required at this level. In essence, he is a flat track bully, who isn't yet capable of carving out a rugged performance in the face of overwhelming defensive pressure. This is the description of an Origin forward.

Queensland really needed him to step up the other night, and he failed to deliver. The dropped ball late in the game was disgraceful. The team had been given a penalty and NSw were on the backfoot, the organisers looked primed and were in readiness. But empty-headedness on Taylor's part saw it all turn to dust. Horrible! It hurts most because the nurturing that occurs in the Queensland camp has turned otherwise solid players into extremely good campaigners in the past. Yet it seems to fail Taylor, or he just does not respond.

I don't know where he goes from here. With the injury to Parker and bakcrow stocks fairly thin, it is virtually impossible to leave him out. But at present he is more of a liability than a weapon. Of course, we live in hope that that may change.

Jimminy

Juniors
Ok.. For Queensland.. Seriously.. Josh Mcguire. That guy will rip it up. If he gets picked I promise.. He will be man of the match. He will be Qld's Bird.. A dirty mongrel that gets away with it.. But with more heart. Go Qld!!!

Mr Fourex

Bench
I'd like some opinions on big Petero. The big fella has been a stalwart for QLD over the years, and deserves the opportunity to go out with respect and on the field, but it seems to me that he has gone on one year to long in the Origin arena. The QLD culture will mean he will get this chance, and even as a NSWelshman, I hope he plays lights out, but he appears to be weak link in the middle at the moment.

I thought Petero went well in game 2 .......in his first stint, he was the pick of the QLD forwards for mine.

Not sure what you mean by weak link in the middle. If there is one, NSW don't seem to be exploiting it.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Having watched a few Souths games this year, and noted the improvement in the squad, I had high hopes for Taylor's Origin campaign. The signs were that he was finally dispelling criticisms about being a player not willing to do the rough stuff. In certain games so far this season he had been devastating.

But sadly this form has not been brought to rep level. It is a disappointment, but it should not have been unexpected. Taylor is yet to develop a hardened mentality that is required at this level. In essence, he is a flat track bully, who isn't yet capable of carving out a rugged performance in the face of overwhelming defensive pressure. This is the description of an Origin forward.

Queensland really needed him to step up the other night, and he failed to deliver. The dropped ball late in the game was disgraceful. The team had been given a penalty and NSw were on the backfoot, the organisers looked primed and were in readiness. But empty-headedness on Taylor's part saw it all turn to dust. Horrible! It hurts most because the nurturing that occurs in the Queensland camp has turned otherwise solid players into extremely good campaigners in the past. Yet it seems to fail Taylor, or he just does not respond.

I don't know where he goes from here. With the injury to Parker and bakcrow stocks fairly thin, it is virtually impossible to leave him out. But at present he is more of a liability than a weapon. Of course, we live in hope that that may change.

Agree with all of that. Bitterly disappointed with Taylor's efforts last Wednesday night.

I thought the old hard heads in the Maroon corner would have had him fired right up. They would be disappointed too.

Might be a good time for Gordie to give him a spray in the media again........

JamesBrandy

Juniors
Mal was on the game plan saying how Matt Bowen was a chance for fullback...also Ben Barba was in camp all week as 18th man for game 2. I think Matty Bowen has been in great form and really links well with Thurston.

They'll never drop Petero. If there's any more injuries in the forwards, Josh McGuire deserves the spot after his performance against the Cows tonight.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Petero is way off the pace, particularly in defence. I hope and know he will be selected in game 3. He was starting to show signs of wear and tear last year, when Bird waltzed past him en route to setting up a try for Mitchell Pearce.
He is turning into a turnstile and someone I hope we single out for special treatment in defence.

He does still take a decent hit-up though, but nothing like he used to.

caylo

Bench
I dont thin NSW will make any changes but if they were to I would have Lewis starting over B.Stewart (maybe bring in Mateo for him or Creigh but Stewart from the bench would be the way to go) and have Mannah instead of Merrin. I'm trying not to be bias but Merrin wasn't seen until the 2nd half and when his one he does next to nothing (and has so for all his origin games) while Mannah is in form and has yet to play a poor game for NSW. Also Mannah has never been man handled by anyone, he is just so strong and Merrin seams to be dominated every tackle.

For Qld I think Inglis has to go to fullback, he has been dynamic this year but I can understand if Barba or Bowen go there. I would think that if Tonga is fit they would have Inglis in the #1 and Tonga or Tate in the centres with the other on the wing (go for experience). With Parker likely to be out, Thiaday will come back in and Taylor will be very luck to be considered IMO, one of the worst origin performances since Hodges debut.