What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

game against Canberra

Farah can kick goals.

All of the news I've heard has said Ayshford has a mystery illness and has been quarantined, but there was no mention of glandular fever, or that he was ruled out.

I just heard 2 min ago on fox sports news that he has glandular fever... But they tend to run with a story...

skeepe

Immortal
I hope anyone coming down for the game has their tickets already... only single seats left.

macnaz

Staff member
awww only single tickets, perhaps you can move it to SFS so no one misses out, that would be the most sporting thing to do ;)

Tiger Hawk

Bench
awww only single tickets, perhaps you can move it to SFS so no one misses out, that would be the most sporting thing to do ;)
Yeah true home ground advantage is overrated, and you've got to keep the SCG Trust and NRL powers that be happy, just like our CEO did.

Hope everybody that was happy with the decision to play the game at the SFS last week was happy with the result, 20,000 rabid Tigers fans at LO or CSS wouldn't have made any difference I'm sure....

taste2taste

Juniors
I think the Tigers have been pretty hard done by.

Why should team 3 have to go and play at team 8 home ground.

The seeding you finish the home and away season with should carry through the finals.

weretiger

Juniors
I think the Tigers have been pretty hard done by.

Why should team 3 have to go and play at team 8 home ground.

The seeding you finish the home and away season with should carry through the finals.

maybe those in charge should have thought about that before they threw away the only advantage you get for finishing third just crazy.

Timbo

Staff member
I have some sympathy for you guys, but only because you all recognize the folly your club comitted by chasing the cash and going to the SFS.

No way you lose that game at Campbelltown, or Leichardt.

As for the system... We won at team 2s home ground, you lost a home final. I think it's fair we get the host. (I've said this many times in the past when the Raiders haven't been involved too, not being parochial here).

Should be a cracking game regardless.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I've got no issues with Canberra hosting the semi - not like it's a new thing for this year. If you win week 1, that's your right. Had we won last Saturday, we would have had a week off and wouldn't be in this predicament. Had we played at a traditional home ground, we probably do win.

As for extra cash, I don't believe we got any from playing at the SFS. The NRL gets the gate as it's a semi (my understanding and happy to be proved wrong). Unlike the saints last year, we weren't offered an extra $250k to play it there. There was no benefit (to Wests Tigers) to playing it there.

Timbo

Staff member
I've got no issues with Canberra hosting the semi - not like it's a new thing for this year. If you win week 1, that's your right. Had we won last Saturday, we would have had a week off and wouldn't be in this predicament. Had we played at a traditional home ground, we probably do win.

As for extra cash, I don't believe we got any from playing at the SFS. The NRL gets the gate as it's a semi (my understanding and happy to be proved wrong). Unlike the saints last year, we weren't offered an extra $250k to play it there. There was no benefit (to Wests Tigers) to playing it there.

Part of your contract with the SCG Trust to play at the SFS included playing home semi finals there, didn't it?

If it did, it would have been a cash thing. More money for the potential extra game.

macnaz

Staff member
It may have been a contract but thats not what was reported to the Weststigers fans by the club, they used the exuse that it will allow more fans to the game. Which i comented on in another thread , we were lucky if we had 20000 there, less than we have had at LO in club games so i dont think the fans approved at all.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I'm not sure anybody on these boards could state categorically what the finite details of the agreement with the SCG Trust are. It was rumoured that it was a stipulation that all home finals must be played there, however whether that equates to more money to the club is not known - and I've also heard that it wasn't a stipulation (hearsay however).

Simple fact of the matter is we should have done what was right for the team (not the SFS / NRL), after all that's what it's all about. That means playing a home final at home. Of course, making sure there was plenty of room for all the big banners, drums and cheer squad was more important to some, they can now wank off over how awesome the experience was from Saturday, forgetting about the result.

macnaz

Staff member
lol Hawk im with ya.
Just a question perhaps someone here may be able to answer.. What were the penalty counts for the weekends games? I couldnt find them on the NRL site the last i looked. Im very curious to see how the home sides went.

I see lawrence has been named on an extended bench. So has Fitzy. Meaney to get a shot at fullback

Wests Tigers Team
1 Sean Meaney
2 Lote Tuqiri
3 Blake Ayshford
4 Mitch Brown
5 Beau Ryan
6 Benji Marshall
7 Robert Lui
8 Todd Payten
9 Robbie Farah (c)
10 Keith Galloway
11 Liam Fulton
12 Gareth Ellis
13 Chris Heighington

14 Andrew Fifita
15 Bryce Gibbs
16 Simon Dwyer
17 Daniel Fitzhenry
18 Mark Flanagan
19 Chris Lawrence
20 Ben Murdoch-Masila
21 Sam Latu

Casualty Ward
Wade McKinnon - hamstring, indefinite
Geoff Daniela - hamstring, indefinite
Jason Cayless - knee, indefinite
John Skandalis - torso, indefinite
Taniela Tuiaki - ankle, indefinite
Tim Moltzen - knee, season.

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
Piss Fitzhenry off and put any of 18-21 on the bench and that is about the best we can do at the moment. Although I would imagine we will probably lose at least a couple to injury before kick off

dice

Juniors
maybe those in charge should have thought about that before they threw away the only advantage you get for finishing third just crazy.

Exactly. The irony of throwing away your home final and then complaining about missing out on a home final when it backfires.

alien

Referee
I hope anyone coming down for the game has their tickets already... only single seats left.

I got my ticket on Monday at 9am! We have some supporters buses coming down. The bus that I'm catching leaves Wests Leagues Campbelltown at 2pm. Can't wait for us to give it to the slime green! :p

alien

Referee
Yeah true home ground advantage is overrated, and you've got to keep the SCG Trust and NRL powers that be happy, just like our CEO did.

Hope everybody that was happy with the decision to play the game at the SFS last week was happy with the result, 20,000 rabid Tigers fans at LO or CSS wouldn't have made any difference I'm sure....

There wouldn't have been 20,000 Wests Tigers supporters at the Leumeah or Lillyfield rectangles because both grounds only hold 21,000 people and Roosters supporters could go for tickets the same time we could. The atmosphere was excellent at the SFS and we outnumbered the Roosters fans by alot. We didn't lose because we played at the SFS.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Yep, 4 straight penalties to the Roosters to start the game, only 2 penalties to us from general play in 100 minutes and just 1 penalty in the last 60 minutes (or whatever it was)....you keep telling yourself that it would have been the same scenario had we played at one of our true home grounds.