What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day - Once Were Warriors

DJDL

Bench
The effort he made to get there and then get penalised wrongly shows just how much referees have no feel for the game a lot of the time. It wasn't like he sauntered there solely for the purpose of putting the fullback off.

I just saw the end of the Panthers/Storm highlights.
Literally every bomb that went up had an attacking player go up with the sole intention of batting it back - including the one which lead to the Storm try.

No one making a legitimate attempt to catch the ball.

I honestly don't know what they think at times introducing these kind of rule changes.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I just saw the end of the Panthers/Storm highlights.
Literally every bomb that went up had an attacking player go up with the sole intention of batting it back - including the one which lead to the Storm try.

No one making a legitimate attempt to catch the ball.

I honestly don't know what they think at times introducing these kind of rule changes.
What did you make of those 3 Pappy drop outs in the second half?

PJ

First Grade
A question on another penalty.

Ronnie I think tackled that piece of work from the Warriors in the air on our goal line and got penalised.

I thought you were allowed to tackle in air in a try scoring situation.

If he hadn't tackled him there the catcher just goes straight to ground and it's a try.

What else was he meant to do

Frenzy.

Immortal
A question on another penalty.

Ronnie I think tackled that piece of work from the Warriors in the air on our goal line and got penalised.

I thought you were allowed to tackle in air in a try scoring situation.

If he hadn't tackled him there the catcher just goes straight to ground and it's a try.

What else was he meant to do
Maim him. Legally, of course. As I have mentioned. The P.O.W. is, as mentioned, a cunova thing.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Back to the "tap back" penalty.

What is the definition of too soon? Doesn't nearly every player that junps before attempting a kick defusal go early?

Talk about not having a feel for the game when making rules.

CM67

Juniors
That's the thing that stood out for me.
Yes, they were missing tackles but they were in cohesion.
Everyone working for each other.
You miss? No worries, I've got you covered.
Huge improvement in that area.

I did notice Nikora seemingly had a brief to stop AFB.
He seemed to be constantly coming in and chopping his legs out from under him.
Two others up top to wrap up the ball, and it's job done.

All working together.
Solid plan.
Earned the right as Fitzy always says

Stake Removed

First Grade
It's not so much a source of confusion to me as a source of something illogical. I've watched all the round one games and the short drop out is a clear contest to have a chaser jump early and tap the ball back, as Kennedy was trying to do. Papenhuyzen's short drop outs all had the chaser jumping at the ball from 8-9 metres out. So much so there was doubt about them touching the ball before the plane or not on every occasion.

The rule is flawed.
What else could we expect for PVL and the NRL, it would be another rule they came up on a whim.
They need to speak to refs before these rules, not Annesley, but the ones out on field.
Ask them how hard will this be for you, actually they would be saying let the game flow it's easier for them as well

Stake Removed

First Grade
Back to the "tap back" penalty.

What is the definition of too soon? Doesn't nearly every player that junps before attempting a kick defusal go early?

Talk about not having a feel for the game when making rules.
They have no idea of the feel of the game I used to ref touch for years actually the Lam's and Hodges for a while.
If they keep the rules simple, the players and the refs actually get it to flow.
Otherwise is becomes like rugby yawn union, too technical and penalties everywhere.
The attacker being tackled in the air is a hard one to rule on, for safety, you could say have to tackle whilst contesting ball but it's hard to judge

shadowboxer

First Grade
Always a treat reading the game day thread post game.
Not having a dig at the slitting, it’s the care factor of a die hard fan that brings out the fear mongering.
Whilst dire early on, they just needed to settle in and dig in.
Bloody great performance full of grit and didn’t cave in against a few rubbish calls etc.
Sick as a dog at the moment - but that win was a real dose of medicine

shaggs

Coach
Random question too.. but we have Cam and Dale as co-captains… both played last night, but Nicho attended the presser after the match. What’s that about?
Cam and dale go about there jobs and can be captain with no change.
nocho plays on emotion and adding captaincy just tips him over the edge.

Plus Nicho is way prettier than cam and dale

ragzouken

Juniors
Leads into another thing I noticed.

As they fought tooth and nail to get back in the game and eventually hit the lead and win. I've noticed after just watching the replay that they had a real steely seriousness about them. Score a try, don't go overboard, steel up, go back and come again. May equate to improved focus. Hope so.
Was all buisness even when Ronnie scored he had a lil clap and straight back in sifa didn’t even flinch, surely with no adjustments in squad they have grown enough mentally to realise we have been lacking in that department