What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game discussion

gUt

Coach
With all players fit you'd only really have Gillett, Hodges and Parker in the side wouldn't you? I know it would have been different at the start of the year but blokes like Jack Reed, David Hala, Dunamis Lui have really stepped up when given the chance.

Teo at least would get a run. Lots of young guys in our side atm.

If the stat the commentary team gave early tonight is correct, Bennett has now been on the wrong end of 11 out of the last 14 Dragons/Broncos matches.

Godz Illa

Coach
Not worried at all, gutsy performance, everyone is spent. I reckon Jamie was almost our best...
Jamie was our best for sure, and yeah I'm not too worried either. We have one more bye and hopefully it's the tonic we need. The injuries to Scott (is he our most important player or what??), Creagh, Morris, Young and Cooper suck, but they'll be back eventually and fresh as a daisy (especially if the former two miss Origin). Remember when Weyman came back after his suspension last year - he was a brand new player.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Manly game is important. We can win that down in the gong. Long turn around now.
Hopefully hornby is ok.

Then Newcastle without gidley, uate.

If Morris and cooper are back for manly game that will help.

Big Pete

Referee
Commiserations Dragons fans. Dead-set shame we didn't get to meet at full strength and while I'm thrilled with the win I still felt robbed of a top shelf high quality game.

With all players fit you'd only really have Gillett, Hodges and Parker in the side wouldn't you? I know it would have been different at the start of the year but blokes like Jack Reed, David Hala, Dunamis Lui have really stepped up when given the chance.

Te'o, McGuire, Hunt and either Tronc or Carlaw would fill the bench as well.

blacksafake

First Grade
Actually I feel sorry for the teams that played us prior to Origin, not really a fair competition is it?

Im not worried, we had 5 of our best players out tonight, and another 4 backing up from origin. We may struggle over the next 4-6 weeks, but I feel if we pull through that period we will be strong coming in to the finals series.

We missed Young around the centre of the ruck, defence was very ragged there. I cant believe that some people are bagging Prior. He went very well tonight.
Must agree with everything said.As for prior i thought he was good unfortunately he is just the go to man for those that want to bag someone.Once upon a time it was young that they all bagged.I do feel that both yo-yo's tries were very dusty.After tonights effort maxwell will be in reserves but by the same token i would'nt be surprised if he was given a promotion.

Minh

First Grade
We'll be fine after origin and having something resembling our full squad again. Broncs got the rub of the green tonight We'll smash them if we meet in the semi's.

Red V Ultras

Juniors
Not a bad game tonight and their try was from a forward pass and Nightingale's should of been a try. Given the tough road ahead and I'm sure Manly will be quietly confident now that were understrenght with injuries and rep players. With Hornby now injured were losing troops big time, also if Morris comes back next week Ricky will then choose him for origin 3.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Te'o
Gillett
Carlaw
Hodges
Parker
McGuire
Hunt
Tronc

Lockyer, Hannant, Thaiday, Yow Yeh backing up.

ok, I was going to let it pass until you mentioned Jane Carlaw , so now add :

Emmett
King
Goodwin
Hornby ( passenger for most of first half & then out for 2nd )

I'm not sure who else is out as they don't have an official reggies side, but maybe throw in Reece Simmonds as he would've been back to his blockbusting best with last week's game under his belt. Maybe he was rested with Ricky's SOO3 policy of not playing before the decider.

Good to see the benefit of the doubt used for the Nightingale no try, usually that goes to the attacking team, but maybe the new interpretation e-mail didn't reach the Dragons.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Goes without saying that the rep season is taking its toll.

Didn't see it on TV, hear it on the radio or read any commentary. I was just at the game.

To summarise:
1. We were well below par and lost momentum around the ruck too many times.
2. Broncos playing their 'Origin revenge' game and they really stepped up.
3. We were on the wrong end of 50/50 calls at crucial times... three tries disallowed that could have been given depending on the direction of the adjudicator's wind. But these calls shouldn't cost us a game.
4. Broncos try before half time was not a forward pass, it was a deadset knock-on. A disgraceful decision from the ref who didn't hesitate to award the try. No consultation whatsoever. A howler if there ever was one. Hope it gets the attention it deserves.
5. We were without too many key players, in particular we missed the defensive work of Scott, Cooper, Young and Creagh. I know Broncos were without a couple of players, but it wasn't the same key positions.
6. No Hornby in the second half. Injured, or simply rested when the match appeared to be pre-ordained?
7. I thought Prior was alright tonight. Improving just wide of the ruck when compared to previous weeks.
8. We'll be back!
9. Had some great seats and great company. SerbDragon behind enemy lines yelling "I'll fight anyone..."
10. We only lost by a converted try, take out the field goal. A gutsy effort all things considered.

Last edited:

clifford

Juniors
went to the game now watching the replay. we really did miss our defensive efforts of creagh and especially scott and coops. of course we are going to struggle thru these origin periods but come on guys you know how it is, were the dragons once we lose a game everyone around seems to think we are done and dusted. there b talk bout us all week being in trouble. then if we beat manly next week all of a sudden well b major favourites again.
i mean come on we were down by 10 at halftime and we were paying $4.50 on betting.

had some shockers called against us tonight but we didnt play at our best still.
hopefuly a good show against manly then a majorly needed BYE.

clifford

Juniors
plus guys we should finish pretty strongly since weve had hardly any home games. 7 of our last 10 matches are home so should finish strongly

blacklock

Juniors
watching that forward pass be explained by the ref before being awarded was the most painful part of watching that game. especially considering our try called back for a less blatant forward pass.

oh well....we will bounce back. hmmm would def be nice for refs to answer questions after a game.

actually this is a silly question and perhaps it has an obvious answer that i cant quite think of right now.... why is it the NRL cant allow a video ref to make a call on forward passes? if anything they would be in a better position to judge the way a ball leaves a players hand and whether it travels forward relative to their hands.

if the commentators can call it, why cant the refs? Its weird that we can live with certain loop holes and not others.

Sidestep

Juniors

Teo is a definite
Hunt or Baptiste will be No. 14
McGuire will start before Hala or Lui
Carlaw is in the mix for a bench spot

Dragons23

Juniors
Guys I understand that we had players backing up and players out injured but for me it shows just how important Coopz and Morris are to our side.
Not in attack but there Defence is incredible and we have never really been without both of them at the same time.

On the other hand Peni Must be Dropped.

He was awful.
He single handedly lost us this game.
Think about it?
If He catches that Ball against Yow yeh (which i feel he had some sort of control and yow yeh ripped the ball out)
If he doesnt drop the Ball over the line with nothing in front of him.
I know Nighty done the same thing but he had pressure on him Peni just dropped it.

if you add that awful decision by the touch judge with the forward pass then we could have won this game fairly easily.

Just on the refs i was at thge tigers the eels and Titans game and i must say i believe that the 10 metre rule does not apply to teams playing against us. All 3 games the refs were going back about 6-7 metres at most its like the only way to stop us is to get the refs against us.

I know i sound like im having a winge but its just so frustrating knowing how good we are and they way the refs are treating us.

I mean 1 penalty against Parra who are the most Ill disciplined team in the comp what a Joke.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Everyone knew this would be a tough period of the season, but 7 out of the last 10 at home ( plus a bye ) will help & should still be able to lock down a top 4 spot, possibly aiming for a top 2 spot to ensure the double chance :

It seems as though there have been some tough calls go against the team recently, but that happens to all teams over the length of a season, hopefully they won't in the finals. The same applies to injuries & with some luck, the worst of them has occurred & it will mean fresher players for the last portion of the season. ( the fact they have the latest bye possible also adds to this )

clifford

Juniors
wonder how the betting agency is feeling about paying out on us for minor premiers all ready lol

Bring back choc

Juniors
i think much of this reaction is due to the fact we just aren't that used to losing!!!!!!

We should still be on track for minor premiership in my opinion. We have 2 points from the bye and we still are yet to play Manly and storm. If we beat them we finish first. If we drop 1 of those games that could be the difference. The manly game next week is a real statement game i reckon. If we can come out and win, that will pretty much tell the rest of the comp we are still king.

If cooper is back, that will go a long way to helping us win. Scott and Creagh will be out.

RedVDave

First Grade
Bad luck guys, too bad the refs and touchies had a bad night. Broncos were missing a few as well but looking forward to seeing our two sides go at it with full strength sides.

The refs were awful no doubt! But did they cost us the game? Absolutley not! Yours boys throughly deserved the win a very gutsy effort by both teams! I won't hit the back panic button unless we continue to lose after the bye.

isaiah

Bench
well, we had the following players out with injuries, Morris, Cooper, Scott, Creagh, Young, Emmett,
Top it off, we could have been 10 nil when nighty dropped the ball.
well Thats footy.
sook.depth must be a problem for you. broncs were missing hodges, parker, gillett, te'o, maguire, and hunt more talent on the bench than you