What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of the Year

ek999

First Grade
Yeah he seemed to get caught out a few times. It's one of those things you get better at with experience though

Vic Mackey

Referee
All 3 games were entertaining. I enjoyed the storm warriors the most.

Thought a lot of the tries in the souths broncos game were more due to bad defence then good attacking play.

innsaneink

Referee
No, Tim Gilbert made it the worst game of the year.
Yep, god he's shit

and wally sounded like he was gunna cry early, then he sparked up as the broncs got ahead

Sterlo too was very aggro tonite....I'd say he had a good whack on the Broncs

good game but not game of the year no way

souths1908

Juniors
Awesome game. Even if we had of lost I would have said one of the games of the year. Agree with the above comment about blooding new players, add to the list Turner, McInnes and Korosau and the next few years are looking good. The strip was a 50/50 call, if it went the other way we would complain about a strip, so it's hard for the refs to make that sort of call on the run.

ram raid

Bench
Found it real exciting. Both teams have heaps of improving to do to be honest ... this year has been weird, no team has really established dominance. All the pre-comp favs, Roosters, Souths, Manly, Storm etc are playing way below par, and some teams like Parra and the Tigs are going way better than expected ... not to mention the Titans. I honestly have no clue what to expect come finals time. But I think we're in for some awesome footy whatever happens.

Brutus

Referee
Gee the commentary was ordinary. Gilbert is hopeless.

Wally was urging the Broncos to get into field posi for a field goal when they were 28-26 behind. Terry Lamb would have been so proud.

ram raid

Bench
Gee the commentary was ordinary. Gilbert is hopeless.

Wally was urging the Broncos to get into field posi for a field goal when they were 28-26 behind. Terry Lamb would have been so proud.

I think Wally has dementia or something. I kinda feel sorry for him.

Dave_

Juniors
Found it real exciting. Both teams have heaps of improving to do to be honest ... this year has been weird, no team has really established dominance. All the pre-comp favs, Roosters, Souths, Manly, Storm etc are playing way below par, and some teams like Parra and the Tigs are going way better than expected ... not to mention the Titans. I honestly have no clue what to expect come finals time. But I think we're in for some awesome footy whatever happens.

This is exactly how the NRL has wanted it to be for years. The nature of the salary cap system is a promoter of mediocrity. You win the comp, your players' value rises considerably then you lose a few to other clubs. The following year players play for their respective countries and states, driving their value up once again, forcing more quality players out of your club and then your fu*ked and have to rebuild again meaning a few seasons on struggle street before you repeat the process.

This is the whole idea of the cap, but does it really mean better quality footy is played? Hmm.... It means you really can't consider any side the "underdog" anymore and all sides have a realistic chance of winning each game which is good right? Not if every side is mediocre and the playing field is too even. What happened to the David vs Goliath matches? They're gone, along with consistency, fluency, dynasties and most importantly high quality footy.

This is why you see sides like the Titans leading the competition despite clearly delivering "mediocre" performances each week, and this is not a knock on them as all they're doing is playing the mediocrity in front of them. All it does is lead to fans being confused and frustrated.

This is just my opinion and the way I see it at present.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Agree.
Problem with the cap is some player are being.g overvalued because then have played in a successful team.
Adam Blair anyone.
Tony Williams?

Dave_

Juniors
Are you a Bronco fan Dave?

Nah mate, I follow the Knights. I was just giving my opinion as to why I think the season is unfolding as strangely as it is. All the sides are just so "vanilla" compared to previous years. There has been so much player movement that it's no wonder teams are having trouble settling into a groove.

I didn't mean to go off topic, I was simply replying to a comment with my 2 cents worth, which is what I thought being a contributor on a footy forum was all about.

Last edited:

ram raid

Bench
This is exactly how the NRL has wanted it to be for years. The nature of the salary cap system is a promoter of mediocrity. You win the comp, your players' value rises considerably then you lose a few to other clubs. The following year players play for their respective countries and states, driving their value up once again, forcing more quality players out of your club and then your fu*ked and have to rebuild again meaning a few seasons on struggle street before you repeat the process.

This is the whole idea of the cap, but does it really mean better quality footy is played? Hmm.... It means you really can't consider any side the "underdog" anymore and all sides have a realistic chance of winning each game which is good right? Not if every side is mediocre and the playing field is too even. What happened to the David vs Goliath matches? They're gone, along with consistency, fluency, dynasties and most importantly high quality footy.

This is why you see sides like the Titans leading the competition despite clearly delivering "mediocre" performances each week, and this is not a knock on them as all they're doing is playing the mediocrity in front of them. All it does is lead to fans being confused and frustrated.

This is just my opinion and the way I see it at present.

All valid points, but I think the alternative is much worse. I don't think dynasties are really in the best interests of the game.

Dave_

Juniors
All valid points, but I think the alternative is much worse. I don't think dynasties are really in the best interests of the game.

Absolutely, I hated the Broncos/Storm etc dynasties although I always enjoyed when my side came up against them because it was a true test of where they were at and it was real us vs them clash. Going back to them days is certainly not the answer but neither is today's way of thinking or every season will be played out like this one and we'll have 6 points separating the minor premiers and 11th spot.

I don't however have the answer at the moment.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
We need to stop f**king with the rules, or if we are going to f**k with them, we f**k with the RIGHT rules. The obstruction and stripping rules need a comprehensive review. The Shoulder charge and dead ball did not.

Latest posts