What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones II

McNulty

Juniors
Much better episode tonight I thought than last week. The Mother of boring finally did something interesting.... Perhaps FINALLY she will start heading towards goddamned Westeros now that she has her army and we can stop wasting Tyrian on pointless politicising crap.

Most importantly it looks like several story lines are being merged together now, which will give far more time to focus on actual story telling and not just giving little snipets of a dozen different things each week. No Arya or dornish stuff was a welcome change too

Daenerys Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons

Daenerys Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons

McNulty

Juniors
Arya is one of my fav characters in the book. Enjoy her story line. Was looking forward to seeing where it leads!!

perverse

Referee
Some people are hard to please... I thought that episode was awesome. Actually this season looks like it will trump the last few handily.

saint.nick

Coach
I only have one little problem...howcome it took Davos so long to ask about what happened to Stannis and Shireen?

perverse

Referee
Also, tying Arya back to the main story by having her go after Jon would be brilliant. Then we just need Bran to show his hand.

perverse

Referee
I only have one little problem...howcome it took Davos so long to ask about what happened to Stannis and Shireen?

It didn't really, his only chance would have been when he asked her to resurrect Jon, and he had other things on his mind at the time.

Could have been dealt with a bit earlier, but I didn't think it was too unusual.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Hard to say that Sansa and Jon was always on the cards. Usually when two Starks come close to each other something bad happens .

:lol: :lol: Good point. Maybe always on the cards as the wrong phrasing. It was gearing that way since Jon took his breath maybe would have been better.

perverse said:
Some people are hard to please... I thought that episode was awesome. Actually this season looks like it will trump the last few handily.

I don't know who isn't pleased? If that was directed at my comment, all I was saying was I preferred the other episodes. I did mention that this was still good!
Season 6 at this point is way better than Season 5 at this point.

Is next series the last one? That could explain why things are ramping up

perverse

Referee
:lol: :lol: Good point. Maybe always on the cards as the wrong phrasing. It was gearing that way since Jon took his breath maybe would have been better.

I don't know who isn't pleased? If that was directed at my comment, all I was saying was I preferred the other episodes. I did mention that this was still good!
Season 6 at this point is way better than Season 5 at this point.

Is next series the last one? That could explain why things are ramping up

Yeah fair enough. I've heard only 2 more seasons, not sure if this includes this one or not.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Surely the first episode was the most underwhelming?

I've looked back at the first one fondly.
Possibly because it was the first of the season so I was excited to have it back.
I should re-watch it again now we're back and running

On another note, I'm reading the e-book, upto Clash of Kings and maybe a quarter way through

chrisD

Coach
- the dragons aggrievance...I don't understand why this needs explaining to anyone. You're upset that Missandei didn't object with, 'no Tyrion, Dany locked them up because bla bla bla'. Come on man, that's just being insufferably nitpicky, and such a point raised by Missandei in no way contributes to theorising. It's just any old dumb reason to criticise the show.

- Jaimie and Cersei...I haven't seen anyone else raise this aggrievance. There's a good reason why.

- I think it's well implied that everyone is f**king scared of Ramsay, and that's why they wouldn't try anything against him, out of fear of his nightmare consequences.

- It was explicitly explained by Ellaria why the Dornish are okay with the Sandsnakes killing Doran. Tristane was clearly seen as a little weak link. More importantly, he's Doran's son. He's not going to be happy with them when he finds out they killed his father. He was unguarded because he obviously didn't expect anything from the Sandsnakes. This doesn't mean I like the Dornish plot, but your criticisms are invalid.

- Your last point is up there with the dragons point as the dumbest. Davos was not present when Stannis or Shireen died. If he knows about Shireen's death, he's not going to ask Melisandre to resurrect a black-roasted body. When Melisandre gets back to Castle Black, she immediately makes it clear that she was wrong about Stannis, while she implies it was supposed to be Jon, not Stannis...so he's not going to ask her to resurrect Stannis, who's body is out rotting in the forest, is he? He asks her to resurrect Jon because he obviously sees something special in him, and sees the whole bigger picture. Besides, who else was going to ask her?! What the hell would Ed know about Melisandre's magic? Melisandre wasn't going to pick herself up and do it by her complete discretion, she needed some motivation.
It's not surprising you don't understand considering what you think are ample explanations. It's not a case of wanting, it's a case of what the show was then and is not now. Unchaining the dragons is a decision, it has a consequence, Dany chaining the dragons was a decent plot point previously. They've undone that whole decision as though it never happened, as though it just slipped everyone's mind and as if Tyrion is too dumb to consider what could happen even if no-one pointed it out. They've done it because they don't care about these things anymore, consistency and logic, they've done it because they need the dragons free and wanted a scene with Tyrion and the dragons.

Just like they had Davos simply accept Mel's slight shake of the head with regards to the man he's been fiercely loyal towards, putting it aside while he inexplicably decides it's resurrection time for a character he barely knows. It wasn't consistent, it wasn't logical, the Davos that was previously portrayed wouldn't have left it at a shake of the head, his first words to Mel wouldn't have been about something other than Stannis, he'd have doggedly hounded the truth out of her, immediately. But having kept the character consistent would have left him turning against Mel and looking for confirmation of Stannis' fate, when they wanted him teaming up with Mel and focussing on the randomly conceived resurrection. And they wanted that scene with Brienne it seems. Character consistency was inconvenient and so was shelved.

It's not the same show it was, it's racing towards the end with a focus on action and fan service. Which is fine, it's entertaining still in that regard, but theorising like people have been relies on the writers adhering to some kind of world and character consistency, rather than just pulling whatever they want out their ass because it'd be cool.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It's not surprising you don't understand considering what you think are ample explanations. It's not a case of wanting, it's a case of what the show was then and is not now. Unchaining the dragons is a decision, it has a consequence, Dany chaining the dragons was a decent plot point previously. They've undone that whole decision as though it never happened, as though it just slipped everyone's mind and as if Tyrion is too dumb to consider what could happen even if no-one pointed it out. They've done it because they don't care about these things anymore, consistency and logic, they've done it because they need the dragons free and wanted a scene with Tyrion and the dragons

The Dragons get free in the books too, so it’s obviously an important part of the overall plot.

Another character does it but if they introduced him then you’d have a long-winded story arc about this guy that ultimately goes nowhere. Plus I think Tyrion's justification was sound. Those bad boys need to grow to be effective in Westeros.

I'm not sure Dany chaining them up was a great plot point anyway. Rhaegal and Viserion were the two tamer dragons, it was Drogon causing all the trouble and he never got chained up.

Last edited:

McNulty

Juniors
Just a thought.

Only death can pay for life.

Jon has paid for his with 3. He's given back to the many faced God.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Just a thought.

Only death can pay for life.

Jon has paid for his with 3. He's given back to the many faced God.

Could be. But they still may not like people being brought back from the dead.

Anyways, just thinking of things that might force Arya to go to Westeros. I'm sure she'd have to play a part in the Starks taking back what's theirs. I don't think she'll be in Braavos that much longer.

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
It's not surprising you don't understand considering what you think are ample explanations. It's not a case of wanting, it's a case of what the show was then and is not now. Unchaining the dragons is a decision, it has a consequence, Dany chaining the dragons was a decent plot point previously. They've undone that whole decision as though it never happened, as though it just slipped everyone's mind and as if Tyrion is too dumb to consider what could happen even if no-one pointed it out. They've done it because they don't care about these things anymore, consistency and logic, they've done it because they need the dragons free and wanted a scene with Tyrion and the dragons.

You're just looking for problems within that dragon plot that don't even exist. Missandei was obviously apprehensive about letting the dragons free, but Tyrion uses his conveyed sense of knowledge to make a very strong argument that convinces Missandei and co. that unchaining them is the right thing to do, especially with the escalating Harpy problem that began after they were chained up. There are no plot holes, no gaps in logic, no gaps in consistency.

Just like they had Davos simply accept Mel's slight shake of the head with regards to the man he's been fiercely loyal towards, putting it aside while he inexplicably decides it's resurrection time for a character he barely knows. It wasn't consistent, it wasn't logical, the Davos that was previously portrayed wouldn't have left it at a shake of the head, his first words to Mel wouldn't have been about something other than Stannis, he'd have doggedly hounded the truth out of her, immediately. But having kept the character consistent would have left him turning against Mel and looking for confirmation of Stannis' fate, when they wanted him teaming up with Mel and focussing on the randomly conceived resurrection. And they wanted that scene with Brienne it seems. Character consistency was inconvenient and so was shelved.

Yes, that is one inconsistency that I already raised. My only explanation is he instantly realises from Mel's reaction that he was dead, and was then distracted by the whole Jon Snow thing to find out the details. But Davos getting Jon resurrected makes sense. It doesn't matter if he barely knew him as a person, he saw what Jon was and how important he is. Like I said, Melisandre was too broken to pick herself up, and he was the only guy to do it. She wasn't going to resurrect Jon by her own discretion, because she'd lost a lot of power, had lost faith in herself as a servant for the red god, and had never done a resurrection before.

Parra

Referee
The Dragons get free in the books too, so it?s obviously an important part of the overall plot.

Another character does it but if they introduced him then you?d have a long-winded story arc about this guy that ultimately goes nowhere. Plus I think Tyrion's justification was sound. Those bad boys need to grow to be effective in Westeros.

I'm not sure Dany chaining them up was a great plot point anyway. Rhaegal and Viserion were the two tamer dragons, it was Drogon causing all the trouble and he never got chained up.

And thst other character got fried. Tyrion unchaining them and getting fried would've been awesome.

sandshark

Bench
Impatiently waiting for next book.
Its been hard finding other books to read whilst waiting. Nothing comes close.
If there is, please tell me.

McNulty

Juniors
And thst other character got fried. Tyrion unchaining them and getting fried would've been awesome.

I was actually thinking that was going to happen whilst I was watching (thinking back to what had happened in the book). Obviously, thought that they couldn't kill Tyrion, but for a moment his confidence around the dragon was very similar.

I was disappointed there was no Strong Belwas in the show. Liked his character in the book

McNulty

Juniors
Impatiently waiting for next book.
Its been hard finding other books to read whilst waiting. Nothing comes close.
If there is, please tell me.

Apparently the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is meant to be up there with LOTR & GOT. I haven't had time to start it but that is next on my list!!

Not sure if it is finished but there is 14 books in the series.

Latest posts