What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones II

Parra

Referee
Dogs, crossbow, fire - what's the difference? Those inflicting the pain seemed to get off on it as well. Danerys carried out about blood and fire for years and seems very moved every time she cooks people.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I'm just curious - what other direction could it have taken? He's the hero of the story.

Plenty of other directions. Literally, the storyline could go anywhere.

To clarify, I haven't read the books fully yet. I started watching the show, and only recently started reading the series. I'm about a third of the way through them all so all my thoughts are what I see from the show up until I've read upto. (I'm really enjoying the books, and wish I'd have read them before the show was made)

The thing with GoT , up to that point was there was no 'hero'. There were good guys (The Starks for example) and bad guys (Lannisters for example). As you can see by the 'good guys' where 'heros' typically come from, they are expendable - Ned is the best example of this.

I guess I liked the early seasons because people were expendable. No matter how big a 'hero' the character was built to be. Good guys died. Bad guys died. No one was really safe, and at any moment it felt like anyone could die (well, to someone who hadn't read the books), Now it feels like Jon in particular is untouchable. He's the ultimate do-gooder and it just grates me.

THAT BEING SAID. Before I get blasted, as I appreciate that I'm probably the only one here which feels that way, THAT BEING SAID, I am still enjoying the series immensely and rate it as my favorite current TV show. I'm allowed to not like a particular character, I'm not knocking the show whatsoever, I will tune in to the finale, and by god I'll watch the next season.

Parra Pride

Referee
YOU TAKE THAT BACK. I'll not hear the Great Euron Greyjoy spoken of in such company.

Mate I love Euron and I loved Ramsay as well, they are/were both entertaining as hell. Two of the biggest out and out merkins in the series though.

adamkungl

Immortal
Plenty of other directions. Literally, the storyline could go anywhere.

To clarify, I haven't read the books fully yet. I started watching the show, and only recently started reading the series. I'm about a third of the way through them all so all my thoughts are what I see from the show up until I've read upto. (I'm really enjoying the books, and wish I'd have read them before the show was made)

The thing with GoT , up to that point was there was no 'hero'. There were good guys (The Starks for example) and bad guys (Lannisters for example). As you can see by the 'good guys' where 'heros' typically come from, they are expendable - Ned is the best example of this.

I guess I liked the early seasons because people were expendable. No matter how big a 'hero' the character was built to be. Good guys died. Bad guys died. No one was really safe, and at any moment it felt like anyone could die (well, to someone who hadn't read the books), Now it feels like Jon in particular is untouchable. He's the ultimate do-gooder and it just grates me.

THAT BEING SAID. Before I get blasted, as I appreciate that I'm probably the only one here which feels that way, THAT BEING SAID, I am still enjoying the series immensely and rate it as my favorite current TV show. I'm allowed to not like a particular character, I'm not knocking the show whatsoever, I will tune in to the finale, and by god I'll watch the next season.

Surely you realise someone has to get to the end lol

Sorry to disappoint, but there are main characters. Game of Thrones/ASOIAF is about Jon and Dany. "Ice and Fire" and all that. They will make it to the final battles - they might not survive them, but they'll be there.
The Iron Throne, Kings Landing, the wars of the living, the Starks and Lannisters, they are all sideshows to the main event. Living vs Dead.

Apey

Staff member
Surely you realise someone has to get to the end lol

Sorry to disappoint, but there are main characters. Game of Thrones/ASOIAF is about Jon and Dany. "Ice and Fire" and all that. They will make it to the final battles - they might not survive them, but they'll be there.
The Iron Throne, Kings Landing, the wars of the living, the Starks and Lannisters, they are all sideshows to the main event. Living vs Dead.

Yeah this. It's not sustainable to keep killing off the biggest characters - you end up getting nowhere with the story and someone inevitably has to step up and replace them. The story has an ending, and it needs its major (i,e Jon and Dany) players to stay alive until it gets there. Other main characters, sure. I'd argue that the continual deaths of major/main characters is partly why the series is as long as it is to begin with, every time someone like Robb dies someone else has to either have their arc start or built on further before their arc peaks, else why would we care about them.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I think I may be more pissed that Jon died in the first place and then brought back.
Had he not died, I don't think I'd have as big of an issue.

He just seems to be, well, immortal. 3 arrows from Ygritte, being stabbed to death, surrounded outside Winterfell, taken under the water by the wights. Just kinda over it, as you know he'll make it to the end. Either kill him off for good, or stop trying to shock us that he'll die because we all know he won't until the last episode or two of the last season if at all.

Okay, rant over.

We havn't touched base with Theon for a couple of episodes, I expect we'll see him next week.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Theon can be seen in the background for the preview of the final episode. Even Brienne.

Looks like everyone is present for the epic showdown between Dany and Cersei.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Sounds pretty dumb to group everyone together, but that's TV for you.

Cersei won't let the opportunity go by to do something that will devastate them.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Cersei wants them to think she is playing ball, if anything goes down it won't be there.

It'd be more interesting that way. Like when Batman and the Joker have to work together. But to have so many heads of your rival houses in one place...

Parra Pride

Referee
Dany's entire army is outside and you'd imagine Drogon and Rhaegal are there as well. Cersei pulls shit and she's BBQ'd. They will probably have Scorpions set up, but I'm willing to bet they would torch her before anyone could get a lucky shot in to bring down even one, let alone both of them.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I'd also like to add how awesome it is that they'll be meeting in the dragon pit at KL.
Very fitting for both Cersei and Dany

DlEHARD

Juniors
She may already consider herself dead, so why not take out all of your opponents, in a scorched earth suicide plan?

Parra

Referee
Pretty sure Jon was kept hidden from anyone except Tyrion in that Winterfell visit - this was a large part of the creation of emo-Jon and his taking the black . He had to sit away from the main table and the highborn.