What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game vs Parra

Dragsters

First Grade
  1. Reading some of these comments is laughable. We're not going to win every game this year - we don't have the players for that.
Positives

Duges and Widdop - playing good football.

Game plan - I think what we're playing this year is better than last and more tailored to the skills of the team. We'll score points this year I think.

Negatives

Kicking game - can't win with a power game without field position and this is a skill where both McCrone and Widdop are inconsistent.

Outside back defence - Jennings and Radradra killed it today and Norman knew it and got them the ball. Aitken needs to learn from today.

Handling - we dropped to much ball today

We need a halfback asap.

This is the biggest issue right now imo.

In the meantime, at least pick someone else who wants to play there, Mann!

McCrone to the bench or back to cup level.

Milne must be the first centre picked this week.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
The players have not executed tonight though I guess the fans will blame the coach for tonight's loss
I would argue that 80% of that can be attributed to coaching. The dropped balls will allow for the rest, but I'd even argue that discipline is a coaches domain - see our completion rates in 2009-11 under Bennett compared to that since.

As for that 80% - all Mary. The use of the bench was abysmal. The defensive pattern was doomed from the get go (how he thinks that half-decent coaches havent worked out how to exploit us is beyond me). And the way he trumpeted our 'power game' all pre-season and after last week has screwed him. That game may work against poor coaches or inexperienced teams, but any coach with a handful of brain cells knows how to combat us. Tighten up and bully the forwards, and we have NOTHING else. Mary has no plan b. If our forwards are matched evenly, let alone dominated, we dont know what to do, because we havent trained for anything else.

That's on him. And has been for the lat 3 years.

Glenn01

Juniors
Reading some of these comments is laughable. We're not going to win every game this year - we don't have the players for that.

Positives

Duges and Widdop - playing good football.
Widdop looks good this year

have you two:
A: Lost your minds?
B: Been smokin up with the trippy old dude?
C: Have absolutely no idea WTF you are raving about?

The job of a playmaker is to be creative with the ball. Sure Widdop hid behind McCrone who had a shocker but how much creativity with the ball did you see from Widdop? And now compare it to Norman and Gutherson?

Speed, creativity and x factor. Any of Milne, Mann and Field can add this. Personally, I would like to see Mann at 6 and Milne at 3.
Creativity? Holly Makarov, we agree. So whose job is it to be creative? I would also like Mann to be given a chance at 6 but I wouldn't drop McCrone. McCrones's kicking was shocking but why do you think he has been charged with the kicking?

hazzbeen

Bench
I would argue that 80% of that can be attributed to coaching. The dropped balls will allow for the rest, but I'd even argue that discipline is a coaches domain - see our completion rates in 2009-11 under Bennett compared to that since.

As for that 80% - all Mary. The use of the bench was abysmal. The defensive pattern was doomed from the get go (how he thinks that half-decent coaches havent worked out how to exploit us is beyond me). And the way he trumpeted our 'power game' all pre-season and after last week has screwed him. That game may work against poor coaches or inexperienced teams, but any coach with a handful of brain cells knows how to combat us. Tighten up and bully the forwards, and we have NOTHING else. Mary has no plan b. If our forwards are matched evenly, let alone dominated, we dont know what to do, because we havent trained for anything else.

That's on him. And has been for the lat 3 years.
Benny I agree with all you say here , after one game he is telling everyone how we are going to play . We dont have a plan B we never had one under Mary ....

They were to fit and quick for us today. Their line speed was incredible, as soon as we caught ball, they were in our face, no time for anything, yet they did it with ease and made it look so simple. They said backs would be difference, so true. Mary recruited size, but parra showed today how to play us. Aitken, lafai and nigttie, to slow. We need better game plans. Mann and Milne should ve starting. Full credit to Arthur, Mary has to go.

Parra were 2 metres offside all game

possm

Coach
We told Parra we were going to play 'our power game' again this week and there will be no changes to our 17. So with this info, the Eel's coach devised a great plan to win the game.

Aitken, Lafai, Nightingale, McCrone and Packer played very poorly and should be dropped to reserve grade. Mary needs to get the players up for the game against the Sharks. I suggest the following backline for next week:

1. Dufty
2. Mann
3. Dugan
4. Milne
5. Macdonald
6. Field
7. Widdop

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Normal transmission has resumed.
Terrible defence and way too many errors as well as woeful attack.
Milne and Mann surely have to be starting next week but who knows.
We went alright last wk but sadly it will probably be the best we will play all year.

Parra were 2 metres offside all game

Yup. Their line speed was suspiciously good alright.

Plus they wouldn't clear out of the ruck at a reasonable pace.

Between those 2 factors, it was near impossible to get a quick play the ball and give us a platform to work from.

That said. When we did have time in good field position, we looked predictable and short on attacking options like previous seasons. Combination of poor coaching and a lack of naturally creative players.

Am sure we all agree Parra's backs are much better than ours

French, Norman, Jennings, Radrada all too good for us.

Our handling let us down.

Once we fell behind we seemed to panic. Too many errors. Can't constantly give away the ball in good field position and expect to win the game.

McCrone's kicking game was ordinary under pressure. Didn't expect anything different from Josh. Its precisely why the club has recruited Hunt for 2018.

Don't feel forwards were dominated.

Aitken wasn't alone in making poor reads in defence. First try, Lafai back peddles and slides when defending 5-10 metres from our line. Result was inevitable.

Lets hope the performance doesn't drain the teams confidence and enthusiasm.

Next week they have a chance to rebound back in to the winners list.

Execution let us down today, however team selection didn't help our cause.

BrissyRedV

Bench
have you two:

The job of a playmaker is to be creative with the ball. Sure Widdop hid behind McCrone who had a shocker but how much creativity with the ball did you see from Widdop? And now compare it to Norman and Gutherson?

Creativity? Holly Makarov, we agree. So whose job is it to be creative? I would also like Mann to be given a chance at 6 but I wouldn't drop McCrone. McCrones's kicking was shocking but why do you think he has been charged with the kicking?
I don't know why you bother.

j0nesy

Bench
have you two:

Widdop played well tonight, pull your head in. I admit it and I'm not a great fan of his. Surely you're taking the piss?

Country Dragon

Juniors
have you two:

That's enough Vas!

Country Dragon

Juniors
We told Parra we were going to play 'our power game' again this week and there will be no changes to our 17. So with this info, the Eel's coach devised a great plan to win the game.

Aitken, Lafai, Nightingale, McCrone and Packer played very poorly and should be dropped to reserve grade. Mary needs to get the players up for the game against the Sharks. I suggest the following backline for next week:

1. Dufty
2. Mann
3. Dugan
4. Milne
5. Macdonald
6. Field
7. Widdop
Like it or not, we won't see that backline all year let alone next week!

Crush

Coach
I love how some fans want to completely change the team for round 3 after a heavy loss round 2.
Dufty
Mann
Milne
Dugan
Macdonald
Field
Widdop.
So after that team loses 50 nil to sharks what next? Drop all those guys and bring in the under 20s team?

thebigredv

First Grade
Completely change the team?? No, some fans who wanted Milne and Mann in the team before the start of the season are just reiterating their points after a poor loss.

2 rounds?? It's been 5 years.

I love how some fans want to completely change the team for round 3 after a heavy loss round 2.
Dufty
Mann
Milne
Dugan
Macdonald
Field
Widdop.
So after that team loses 50 nil to sharks what next? Drop all those guys and bring in the under 20s team?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Dufty
Mann
Milne
Dugan
Macdonald
Field
Widdop.
In the big scheme, McCrone should never have been there so I am just after Aitken to do some reserve time after that shocker. Milne is a quality sub for him.

Glenn01

Juniors
Widdop played well tonight, pull your head in. I admit it and I'm not a great fan of his. Surely you're taking the piss?
I don't know why you bother.
yeah. So geniuses, whose job is it to be creative? WhyTF is McCrone charged with kicking? Compare Parras halves (both) with ours. Last week was an aberration on the back of a hopelessly dominant forward pack. This week business as usual. Widdop must go! He won't be picked up by another NRL team but maybe the an ESL team is willing to pay out a significant % of his salary for the reminder of the year. Mann or Field or Nona to take over.