What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game vs Parra

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL, NYC Team Updates: Round 2 v Parramatta Eels
Sat 11th March, 06:30PM
A A

1489216151172.jpg

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has confirmed that Jai Field and Luciano Leilua will drop out of the Dragons' squad to play the Parramatta Eels at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday night.

A rib injury suffered at training late this week has ruled Field out of the Round 2 clash, with Kurt Mann replacing him in the Dragons' 17.

Leilua is the other man to drop out of the initial 21-man squad that was named on Tuesday.

NRL Squad for Round 2 v Parramatta Eels:

1. Josh Dugan
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Josh McCrone
8. Russell Packer
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Tariq Sims
15. Leeson Ah Mau
16. Jacob Host
18. Kurt Mann
19. Taane Milne
21. Hame Sele

NYC Squad for Round 2 v Parramatta Eels:

1. Steven Marsters
2. Reuben Garrick
3. Matheson Johns
4. Zac Lomax
5. Tristan Sailor
6. Joe Lovodua
7. Jackson Willis
8. Josh Dowel
9. Reece Robson
15. Max Bailey
11. Trent Peoples
12. Jayden Morgan
13. Stuart Mason
Interchange:
14. TJ Uele
16. Hayden Lomax
17. Cooper Purcell
18. Israel Seufale
19. Jack Cross
21. Tom Angel
22. Jackson Ford

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/11/nrl_nyc_team_updates.html

ALSGI

Bench
Had a look at the Parra forum, first time. I can't believe there are people out there that support other clubs!!!!
From the quick look I had, as expected our forwards get the most mention as threats but most are confident their backs are better. A few comments about Dragons fans as expected.

Interesting they have a thread about Hayne that has 2,600+ posts, and that's only after he went to the GC.

Anyway, at the 11th hour mark, hope the Dragons can show the same kind of spirit and confidence from last week. It'll be interesting to see if Mann gets more minutes then Field did last week.

I'm quietly confident we'll give them a bit of a touch up, with Nene scoring his first try for us.

Go the Dragons.

emu62

Juniors
Had a look at the Parra forum, first time. I can't believe there are people out there that support other clubs!!!!

ALSGI, I was told as a kid there are only 2 types of supporters, Dragons supporters & those that wish they were.Still believe this to be the case

Crush

Coach
From the quick look I had, as expected our forwards get the most mention as threats but most are confident their backs are better. A few comments about Dragons fans as expected.

Interesting they have a thread about Hayne that has 2,600+ posts, and that's only after he went to the GC.

Anyway, at the 11th hour mark, hope the Dragons can show the same kind of spirit and confidence from last week. It'll be interesting to see if Mann gets more minutes then Field did last week.

I'm quietly confident we'll give them a bit of a touch up, with Nene scoring his first try for us.

Go the Dragons.
Ohhh, ALSGI! I don't like saying that last comment out loud! Now drags will get a touch up with Nene doing an ACL! Quick, take it back!

Crush

Coach
I think it will be a great game today. Not liking the 630pm start though, thats messing with my sport/family life balance!

JDHD

Juniors
Parra weren't as good as everyone thinks they were last week. Parra's execution was godawful. Manly showed yesterday what kind of team they are.

Similarly, we came up against a team that had bought into their own hype and had several players dealing with off field indiscretions.

This game will be interesting to see whether either team are actual contenders or if we're both middling teams who got lucky.

kit66

Bench
You can't underestimate the value of the first up big win. Everyone has written us off as potential wielders of the Spoon but the boys are having none of that and have thrown the cat among the pigeons. Will it last ?
If we stick to what worked last week then there's no reason we can't go on with it.
Keep getting numbers into the tackle - it's the best way to slow the opposition down ( apart from blatant wrestling - penalty magnet though ) and it's something we didn't do for the last 2 years.
Continue to play straight and up the middle - the metres are there for the taking.
Widdop and McCrone, go to the line more instead of playing before the line - we look so much more dangerous as it takes time and room off the opposition defence - Mary's finally caught on.
Be grateful the Rein has gone - McInnes was outstanding.
Give the ball to Thompson !

Big test against Parra but confidence and momentum are big factors in our favour, not to mention the mighty Dragon's Pack are back !

Go Saints !

Last edited:
Reactions: Qdf

kit66

Bench
We need to hussle Norman and its game over.. Our forwards have too much firepower - We need to persist w the bomb towards Mcdonalds wing as well as there are def points there. Plus I think Dugan is fast becoming unstoppable

It might have gone largely unnoticed but our forwards did a great job last week at targeting Penrith's 6 and 7, forcing them to make 48 tackles and sapping their energy. In comparison Widdon and McCrone made just 19 tackles ( Widdop only 6 ). Penrith's forwards were more interested in taking on our pack. The Power game is good but smart targeted runs can pay dividends as well. Add to that Frizell monstering Moylan nearly every time he got the ball, all but nullifying arguably their most dangerous attacking player. Good work all round.
We played smarter than we have for quite some time.

possm

Coach
I hope we change something this week because Brad Arthur is not going to set his game plan to cater for what was great for us against Penrith last week. I hope Dugan moves quickly to defend our left side as Lafai and Nightingale were found lacking in this area last week.

ALSGI

Bench
I hope we change something this week because Brad Arthur is not going to set his game plan to cater for what was great for us against Penrith last week. I hope Dugan moves quickly to defend our left side as Lafai and Nightingale were found lacking in this area last week.
Possm
Agree that we need change. Keep changing, evolving, especially while we're going well, not wait till it all falls apart and keep doing the same thing. But there's not a lot I'd change right now.

We both agree (but most don't) about Lafai and Nighty and in fairness Penriff scored on each wing last week. Nighty was his usual solid self, Lafai showed some good form and hope he gets some more confidence out of it. Don't agree they were found lacking last week but they will both continue to be targeted though, not sure they'd target Milne and Mann on the same wing as much.

kit66

Bench
I think it will be a great game today. Not liking the 630pm start though, thats messing with my sport/family life balance!

It's on at 5:30 in N.S.W. - so 4:30 if you're in sunny Qld. Correct me if I'm wrong.