What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game vs the Storm

Chachi

Bench
If you told me at the beginning of the year that I'd be pissed off with our form after back-to-back wins against Nth Qld and Penrith I'd have said you were crazy. How on earth we are 2 points away from 3rd place I'll never know, but I think that the next few weeks will either make or break our season.

I really don't know how we got away with that win against the panthers, but it's obvious that Elliott needs to come good with his promise to make a few decisions between now and the game against the Storm. On current form I have no doubt our three quarters will get carved up by arguably the best centre pairing in the comp, but do we have a team capable of winning in Melbourne?

With Miller and maybe Frawley available, surely Williams and Gafa need to be dropped from the side completely. I hope Kahler is relegated to the bench to make way for Hodgson. I'm also in two minds as to whether we put Carney back on the bench to give us a bit of extra creativity if required. I suppose in many ways it depends on which Melbourne team turns up on the night, but I really think this next game will determine if we're good enough to make the finals this year.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Chachi said:
I suppose in many ways it depends on which Melbourne team turns up on the night, but I really think this next game will determine if we're good enough to make the finals this year.

I think you are dead right about this one. I think almost all of the tipsters in the papers will go with the Storm and fair enough after they destroyed the dogs in their last outing. But their home form has been letting them down I think:

Round 15 they lost to the Panthers 14-28
Round 11 they lost to the Dogs 16-26
Round 8 they lost to the Sharks 10-30
Round 6 they lost to the Eels 14-26

So they haven't been doing all that well at home yet they are performing away relatively well.

I think attitude will be a big factor (for both sides) but game plan is all important too I think.

Chachi

Bench
Yep. They're certainly beatable - as long as we have the right forward pack (with absolutely everyone contributing for a change) I think we match up well with them up front.

As with most teams, the key is to keep Orford out of the game to reduce the effect of King and Slater.

It's such a cliche, but this is certainly shaping as one of those "four point games" with 7 teams within 2 points of each other on the ladder. If the boys can't fire up for this game then I think we're gone for the year.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Slater and Orford are the key for the Storm. They have carved us up alot in recent games. Contain them and we'll be a chance.

ausraider

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
Slater and Orford are the key for the Storm. They have carved us up alot in recent games. Contain them and we'll be a chance.

I think if our forwards can contain theirs we will go a long way to winning this game.Orford will only come into play if we allow their forward to dominate.No silly penalties for free ride in our red zone cos thats where they are at their best.
I think Lomu and Thommo up front with Hodgson and Miller and Croker at lock and on the bench Tongue, Kahler,Raston and Campese.

Macko8

Juniors
seriously i dont know why matty hasnt used Willie Raston yet...drop williams this week put in Raston.

ausraider

Juniors
Macko8 said:
seriously i dont know why matty hasnt used Willie Raston yet...drop williams this week put in Raston.

How do you like my forward pack and bench Macko.

Macko8

Juniors
ausraider said:
I think if our forwards can contain theirs we will go a long way to winning this game.Orford will only come into play if we allow their forward to dominate.No silly penalties for free ride in our red zone cos thats where they are at their best.
I think Lomu and Thommo up front with Hodgson and Miller and Croker at lock and on the bench Tongue, Kahler,Raston and Campese.

looks pritty good mate. i reakon miller would play his best footy at prop and shift lomu into the back-row and hodgo to the bench thats my opinion..but it looks very good.

ausraider

Juniors
Chachi said:
It'd be pretty hard to have Kahler ahead of Hindmarsh on current form tho?

Thats a tuff call.Even though Hindy has been going gangbusters for last few weeks I still rate Kahler just ahead of him and I mean only just.But on current form I wouldn't mind either of them.

ausraider

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Robbo to take Gafa's spot, assuming Frawley is injured still.

You would think thats the way Elliott will go after praising Robbo for yesterdays effort.

mike83au

Juniors
Hopefully we are awake to the Orford reverse kick to Slater, who usually ends up scoring underneath the posts asa result..... well, that's been the trend in the last few matches we've played them.

The raiders have to defend in there own 20 and stop the kick and chase from orford to slater. Wthers and woolford have been great from dummy half and need to take the pressure off to win this game. Also need to take advantage with our physical dominance in the forward pack.

sydraider

First Grade
This game is pivotal for our run home IMO.

We have to rid ourselves of recent trends, one of which is not being able to beat the storm. If we start with that, it will go a long way for our confidence IMO. Maybe even help to starting new trends such as winning a semi!
The next four rounds are the most crucial,
Storm (A)
Eels (H)
Warriors (A)
Broncos (A)

If we can win three of those four. it will do wonders for our confidence!

legend

Coach
If we win three of those four then we are a legitimate premiership threat. A tough ask but certainly not impossible. By round 20, we should have a few more fit bodies to choose from with Graham and Adamson vital to our finals chances.

juggalo_strit

Juniors
from what my memroy recalls we haven't got the best of records V's the storm whether it be home or away. lets hope it can be changed this week.

i agree to drop williams this week. i'm still not sure why elliot bought him though, he barely plays 20mins per game

legend

Coach
Fair call because that would be about the average margin of victory in recent years.

Latest posts