What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Games postponed / Vaccine discussion

PJ

First Grade
I tell you what. Either vaxxed or not, if they start to segregate places I will not venture into them, including the football.
They are reporting that they will not let people into any sport event, including the NRL, unless you have your 'papers'. That will be it for me. I will not renew my membership and not watch the sport at all.
No big loss to me.
The fact they are using this view as 'protection' to other people is the biggest load of horse shit. If you have had the vaccine you are relatively protected from the thing, if someone has chosen to not be vaccinated they put themselves at risk, and are willingly open to that, it is their choice that they could be at risk.
I hear/see segregation mentioned and I see apartheid.
I am not cool with that at all.
The fact some are welcoming it so easily makes me sad.

I really get that, and do somewhat agree.

Maybe have an informed non consent for the vaccine, and if you are on that list you can go anywhere you want (though I think businesses like Qantas should be able to decline unvacced people just like a hippy healing store in nimbin should be able to ban vacced people) BUT if you require hospital treatment for Covid you are back of the queue e.g. you need a ventilator for Covid but some poor bastard needs it after a car accident and only one about, bad luck.

Quicksilver

Bench
I’d be highly sceptical if it were just the reds in the Labor Party pushing the vax.

But it’s the Liberals too. I think we can definitely trust this one.

Mojo

Bench
I tell you what. Either vaxxed or not, if they start to segregate places I will not venture into them, including the football.
They are reporting that they will not let people into any sport event, including the NRL, unless you have your 'papers'. That will be it for me. I will not renew my membership and not watch the sport at all.
No big loss to me.
The fact they are using this view as 'protection' to other people is the biggest load of horse shit. If you have had the vaccine you are relatively protected from the thing, if someone has chosen to not be vaccinated they put themselves at risk, and are willingly open to that, it is their choice that they could be at risk.
I hear/see segregation mentioned and I see apartheid.
I am not cool with that at all.
The fact some are welcoming it so easily makes me sad.
Being asked to show evidence of vaccination against a contagious deadly disease is not in any way comparable to being the victim of nation- wide, life-long, political and economic prejudice.
As you say, it's your choice: don't get vaccinated, dont watch sport. It's not comparable to apartheid in any way.
PS: Hopefully, you also won't contact COVID. Good luck.

I really get that, and do somewhat agree.

Maybe have an informed non consent for the vaccine, and if you are on that list you can go anywhere you want (though I think businesses like Qantas should be able to decline unvacced people just like a hippy healing store in nimbin should be able to ban vacced people) BUT if you require hospital treatment for Covid you are back of the queue e.g. you need a ventilator for Covid but some poor bastard needs it after a car accident and only one about, bad luck.
I have lost a relationship to someone who went full on anti vax, and the whole conspiracy track. It hurt to lose someone to that life, and it does become their life. They just barred me from any existence.
I am now seeing the pro-vaxxers do it in exactly the same manner to some of their oldest friends, who are not anti-vaxx, they are in the midst of trying to fathom all this and make their own decisions. They hate the people who marched, and abide by all rules that have been set up.
They have been ostracised by their friends already for not towing the party line.
This segregation occurring is not a society I want to be a part of.

Being asked to show evidence of vaccination against a contagious deadly disease is not in any way comparable to being the victim of nation- wide, life-long, political and economic prejudice.
As you say, it's your choice: don't get vaccinated, dont watch sport. It's not comparable to apartheid in any way.
PS: Hopefully, you also won't contact COVID. Good luck.
Where did I say that I wasn't vaccinated?
If you are going to come on here trying hard to sound like a scholar maybe you should improve your comprehension skills.
I talked of segregation in society.
f**king Stains supporters cannot help but show their true lack of depth in thought.

bubs

Juniors
Vaccine passports will be a requirement to travel overseas. Something everyone will have to get used to. They will also be a requirement to enter Australia.
But once 80% of people get vaccinated our reaction to it will change. The danger to the majority of the population will drop very significantly. Our hospitals will be able to cope with the rest and won't go over the 'cannot cope' line.
Unvaxxed people will still take the risk of Covid with them. That will be their choice. They'll have to live with the potential costs of catching this disease, and the average schmo out there like us will be paying more Medicare Levy each year due to their stupidity.
But Vaccine passports to travel will be here to stay.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I waited for a couple more posts to fully understand your point BBB and now I get it. I don’t see it going full segregation in society as I firmly believe those that are vaccinated will be enough to see an end to the severity of this virus.

I am however supportive of getting the vaccine and helping people understand if they want to. If they don’t then fine but please do not let me see you complain about any freedoms that are currently not available to you as a result of govt restrictions out in place to help with the long term goal.

Quicksilver

Bench
Vaccine passports will be a requirement to travel overseas. Something everyone will have to get used to. They will also be a requirement to enter Australia.
But once 80% of people get vaccinated our reaction to it will change. The danger to the majority of the population will drop very significantly. Our hospitals will be able to cope with the rest and won't go over the 'cannot cope' line.
Unvaxxed people will still take the risk of Covid with them. That will be their choice. They'll have to live with the potential costs of catching this disease, and the average schmo out there like us will be paying more Medicare Levy each year due to their stupidity.

I think Australia may have already had vaccine requirements for new immigrants?

bluefox68

Staff member
Booked in to get vaccinated this Friday and happy to do so. My wife this Sunday.
We’ve been trying for weeks - finally got bookings.

I hope my family and friends and you guys all get the vaccine. I’d hate to go through any of them getting this damn disease or hear that any of you are sick from it, but if you decide not to have it, that is your choice and I’d still hate to hear you got sick from this.

I’m with BBB though, segregating people within the community at things like sporting events etc is an appalling proposition. Why would those vaccinated be concerned about sitting next to or near an unvaccinated person? Surely the unvaccinated has more reason to be concerned.

Quicksilver

Bench
Well, supposedly the vaccine will help with heard immunity and transmission for the creation of new strains. I don’t suppose that will matter if a killer virus is flown over from Kentucky or wherever though.

I like everyone back then, had to get a smallpox vaccine when travelling overseas to Europe for the first time back in 1969. My father and I had yellow vaccine cards that we had to show emigration officials both here and upon our arrival in Europe. I had a bad reaction to vaccine, had a very high fever and our GP who did the vaccines had to make a housecall to our joint and he said that a small number of people reacted badly to it but got better after one or two days, as happened to me.

PJ

First Grade
What is everyones predictions for when Sydney comes out of lockdown?

Honestly, October/November.

I have work to do in Melbourne in November that no one else can do. Can get a travel exemption but customer has a strict no visitors whove been in a hot spot for 14 days. So I am putting plans in to do 2 weeks quarantine for this job. That's the faith I have Gladys will get this under control.

Eion

First Grade
70%. Then there’ll be all types of hullabaloo over who can do what until we get close to 90%. Then no one will give a shit except for international travel.

Tiger Shark

Bench
At the current rate of vaccinations which is 500,000 per week and if we need to get to 70% then I'd say early to mid October but they want to ramp that up even more with more sites etc. So could be earlier.

We might see lockdown ease when we get to 50% , which could be late August or Sept I suppose but who knows what that looks like.

sladden road

Juniors
This will require an entirely new mindset. This starts with surrendering the addiction to zero cases and obsession about every single hospitalisation and death. Lockdowns must be abandoned once every Australian has had the opportunity to be vaccinated. We cannot shut down society to protect people who are unwilling to protect themselves.

The above is from the Smh today from a fella in a think tank in England. It's an interesting point, once everyone has had the chance, well if you opt and get ill..well that's on you.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/bri...d-and-australia-must-too-20210801-p58etl.html.

Covid has exposed the fault lines all across society and this debate over public health is just another one. Think of SW Sydney as opposed to a stroll across Bondi on the weekend. Or even the ability to have an education to a level that a person can criticise a vaccine. As I post often, it's about power and money. Those with it do fine, and they continue to stir the pot of racism, , right vs left, sexism, freedom, anti-vax, pro-vax etc..whatever. It's a class war people, just at it has always been except there are only two classes. The haves ( about .5%) and the rest split up into dwindling middle, working-class, precarious work, welfare and below poverty.
Plus the extra special jackpot prize brought to you by the thing we have all forgotten about, the one true existential event of our lifetime..true life and death.
Climate change.
It is coming and there's no vaccine against human stupidity and greed.CC will make covid appear like a sneeze. It's our inbuilt obsolescence. Planetary exitntion. Except for the ultra-rich...exhibit A Tesla and amazon rockets. They will f**k off to the moon or NZ and well all bake...in about 100 years.
SO thank God we have Fitz cause I want to see another premiership before then.

This will require an entirely new mindset. This starts with surrendering the addiction to zero cases and obsession about every single hospitalisation and death. Lockdowns must be abandoned once every Australian has had the opportunity to be vaccinated. We cannot shut down society to protect people who are unwilling to protect themselves.

The above is from the Smh today from a fella in a think tank in England. It's an interesting point, once everyone has had the chance, well if you opt and get ill..well that's on you.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/bri...d-and-australia-must-too-20210801-p58etl.html.

Covid has exposed the fault lines all across society and this debate over public health is just another one. Think of SW Sydney as opposed to a stroll across Bondi on the weekend. Or even the ability to have an education to a level that a person can criticise a vaccine. As I post often, it's about power and money. Those with it do fine, and they continue to stir the pot of racism, , right vs left, sexism, freedom, anti-vax, pro-vax etc..whatever. It's a class war people, just at it has always been except there are only two classes. The haves ( about .5%) and the rest split up into dwindling middle, working-class, precarious work, welfare and below poverty.
Plus the extra special jackpot prize brought to you by the thing we have all forgotten about, the one true existential event of our lifetime..true life and death.
Climate change.
It is coming and there's no vaccine against human stupidity and greed.CC will make covid appear like a sneeze. It's our inbuilt obsolescence. Planetary exitntion. Except for the ultra-rich...exhibit A Tesla and amazon rockets. They will f**k off to the moon or NZ and well all bake...in about 100 years.
SO thank God we have Fitz cause I want to see another premiership before then.
Settle petal, on current averages we should have two more before the great sizzle