What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Ellis

andrew057

First Grade
Was a huge fan of the guy, until he dropped the knees into Chris Houston the other week and generally played like a dog the whole game.

eozsmiles

Bench
He's been the 2nd best backrower in the game for the past 2 years behind Gallen. If he was Australian we'd hear far more of him as he'd be playing rep footy.

bartman

Immortal
He was good week to week before he even got over here as well, should have rated in the top 3 back-rowers for the last five years.

Like Morley though he'll probably want to end his career back in England. So only one or two more seasons here with Wests I reckon...

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
He was good week to week before he even got over here as well, should have rated in the top 3 back-rowers for the last five years.

Like Morley though he'll probably want to end his career back in England. So only one or two more seasons here with Wests I reckon...

He was at that level he is now for almost entire duration with us, bar the first few months.

bartman

Immortal
Agreed - I lived half hour down the road from Rhinos territory from 2004-2008 and knew Ellis would have no trouble at all in the Australian comp. Great signing by Wests. Props like Morley and Burgess might have attracted more attention, but Ellis is a 80 minute workhorse and much more valuable.

super_coach

First Grade
Absolute champion on and off the field, this bloke will achieve even more after football and you cant say that about to many others

shiznit

Coach
I felt compelled to make note of this bloke having watched a replay of Friday nights games.

Ellis truly has become one of the elite second rowers in our game, and is the complete package. He can do the hard work making easy metres up the middle, run good angles wide on the left edge and is one of the fiercest defenders in the competition. He was savage in that Manly game, and we all recognise how much fun it is to see Jason King getting smashed to oblivion.

My thoughts then turned to just where he sits amongst the best second rowers in the game. Simply through deduction the only result I can come up with is that he is definitely in the top three. Fair to say?

I look forward to him playing a major role in Wests run to the finals.

he was one of the elite players in the game before he even turned up at the tigers.

same with Sam Burgess and Adrian Morley.

and it will be the same when James Graham plays for the dogs next season.

for the most part elite footballers in the UK are elite footballers in Australia & NZ.

They certainly get paid like elite footballers....

did'nt he pack the wife off back to england so she gave birth in england and not australia??

good lad :D

She gave birth in Australia I think, unless she's had a second kid (he had his first right before season 2010 started). I remember him saying he was looking forward to raising an Australian son.

Vic Mackey

Referee
ellis is 5 times the player burgess is. burgess is like the benji of the forwards. does one great thing which the commentators bat themselves stupid over and then they ignore the 5 stupid things he does after it.

is truly the ultimate professional. its ridiculous the difference in our forwards attitude when he isnt playing. if ellis doesnt play we lose friday by 30, no doubts.

westie

Bench
Burgess is hamstrung by playing at Souths. They've mismanaged his injuries and are generally shit. He'd have been a different player at a good club.

POPEYE

Coach
Adrian Morley, Ellery Hanley, John Gray, Kevin Ward............?

Best thing to come out of England since the last Maiden tour you mean.......

Don't go putting your words in my mouth sweetie . . . I don't know what they've been wrapped around.

Reilly, Ellis . . . the rest you can keep.

Loudstrat

Coach
As if we needed any more proof that you are a brainless git. As good as Ellis is, Hanley was far greater.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Adrian Morley, Ellery Hanley, John Gray, Kevin Ward............?

Best thing to come out of England since the last Maiden tour you mean.......
Kevin Ward was a useless lump.
Ellery Hanley was OK in patches.
Morley was hot and cold.
Ellis trumps them all.