What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Ellis

POPEYE

Coach
As if we needed any more proof that you are a brainless git. As good as Ellis is, Hanley was far greater.

How many games did Hanley play in Australia? How long did he stay on the paddock? How tough was he?

Hanley would rate about 10th in the list of good poms to play here, if that

hutch

First Grade
How many games did Hanley play in Australia? How long did he stay on the paddock? How tough was he?

hanley is one of the best players to have played the game. he may not have played for a long time here, but his impact in his short stay was immense. england havnt seen a player of his calibre since!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
None, not one had the infuence of Tommy Bishop.

He helped make a club. One that is still around today much to the disgust of many.

He was also an awesome player.

tumblingdice

Juniors
hanley is one of the best players to have played the game. he may not have played for a long time here, but his impact in his short stay was immense. england havnt seen a player of his calibre since!

his impact with Balmain may have been immense, but his impact with Wests Magpies second time around was an anticlimax:(, not that one man can be expected to carry a team

Vic Mackey

Referee
anyone saying hanley wasnt a success wasnt watching footy in 1988

the effect he had on the comp was unbelievable

it made jarryd haynes 2009 form look lame

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hanley was great, influence awesome, but he did not give Balmain credibility, like TOMMY did the sharks.

westie

Bench
If we really do get this TV deal bonanza, I hope it goes to bringing in new quality and not paying guys even more than what they're earning now.

English guys like Graham, Tomkins, Roby are in the top 3 in the world in their positions. Even guys discarded from my club like Chase, Galea and Manu would walk into our current side - if we could afford them.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Ellis is unbelieveable. Would not swap him for any other player in the game. He is the best signing we have ever made, and I include the likes of Prince and Hodgson etc. in that. Can't wait to see him and Blair in the backrow next season.

great player but better bloke.

next year will be his last in black gold and yellow

Hopefully it won't be as I am sure he is signed to the Wests Tigers untill the end of 2013. He wants to win a NRL competition and I can't see him leaving early unless he does. He is a fantastic player as other have menionted our best every signing at the Wests Tigers.

POPEYE

Coach
Ellis is unbelieveable. Would not swap him for any other player in the game. He is the best signing we have ever made, and I include the likes of Prince and Hodgson etc. in that. Can't wait to see him and Blair in the backrow next season.

Hanley would last 10 minutes if Reilly lined him up once. Bishop would put him to sleep. Ellis in the modern game with it's protection would still shorten him up. Anyone with a rocket up his bum looks good until the fuel gets low.

Red Bear

Referee
ellis is 5 times the player burgess is. burgess is like the benji of the forwards. does one great thing which the commentators bat themselves stupid over and then they ignore the 5 stupid things he does after it.

is truly the ultimate professional. its ridiculous the difference in our forwards attitude when he isnt playing. if ellis doesnt play we lose friday by 30, no doubts.
TBH Burges is pretty f**kng good. Was consistently make 120+metres and 30 odd tackles last season, and will only get better. Good ball playing skills as well. Just needs to sort out his handling, can drop a ball at present.

Would prefer a back row of

Ellis
Burgess
Gallen

to one with Blair

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol at anyone who doesn't recognise the world class quality of Hanley.

Ellis is good but I'd take Offiah, Hanley, Davies (ok he was welsh!), Millward, Phil Lowe or Denis Betts over him in terms of quality English imports.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
TBH Burges is pretty f**kng good. Was consistently make 120+metres and 30 odd tackles last season, and will only get better. Good ball playing skills as well. Just needs to sort out his handling, can drop a ball at present.

Would prefer a back row of

Ellis
Burgess
Gallen

to one with Blair

Burgess is good, but Ellis is better. Blair and Ellis together will be great next season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Burgess, injuries permitting, will be outstanding. he is still a young kid learning the forwards trade but his natural size and skill level coupled with his personality will make him a star if he can get a decent coach and a decent physio!

Red Bear

Referee
Burgess is good, but Ellis is better. Blair and Ellis together will be great next season.
Ellis at the moment is definately better and yes, Ellis and Blair will be excellent. I just think Burgess is better and will get even better than Blair.

leichhardt

Juniors

HAHAHAHAHA
That is hilarious!!

Hanley is one of the greatest EVER rugby league players let alone English rugby league players and is EASILY the greatest pom to ever play here.

That is an objective statement. It is not subjective.

If you don't rate him then you are not entitled to an opinion on rugby league.

haynenation

Juniors
hanley was a good player but do u think some ppl overated the amount of good players.

to be a champion player (lockyer, hayne, fittler, dugan, johns, tallis, buderus) i think you have to consistantly be playing really well

roughyedspud

Coach
pppssstttt...........hayne does'nt play consistantly well........infact he's probably the most hit or miss player in the league