What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Ellis

typicalfan

Coach
lol at anyone who doesn't recognise the world class quality of Hanley.

Ellis is good but I'd take Offiah, Hanley, Davies (ok he was welsh!), Millward, Phil Lowe or Denis Betts over him in terms of quality English imports.
Offiah? you are kidding right? He was out of his depth in our competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Offiah? you are kidding right? He was out of his depth in our competition.

ARL 36 games 20 tries
Int 33 games 26 tries

I think you need these:
thick-glasses+%25281%2529.jpg

typicalfan

Coach
ARL 36 games 20 tries
Int 33 games 26 tries

I think you need these:
thick-glasses+%25281%2529.jpg
How many did he let in throughout those 36 games. I bet it is more than he scored. If fact that bet is mighty safe, I remember him giving up 4 tries in a game and leaking tries consistently. Offiah got found out defensively in the ARL.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
erm...no...he got found out defensively at home first...

though he was'nt to bad by the time he finished his career,probably down to the fact he was a damnsight heavier due to hitting the weights.....as opposed to the skinny whippet he was in the late 80's early 90's

typicalfan

Coach
erm...no...he got found out defensively at home first...

though he was'nt to bad by the time he finished his career,probably down to the fact he was a damnsight heavier due to hitting the weights.....as opposed to the skinny whippet he was in the late 80's early 90's
I assumed that also, I felt his time at the powerful Wigan side sort of hid that weakness a little but at the Dragons and Roosters he may as well not have tackled at all.

It is laughable to say he performed better over here than Ellis, that is the main point.

roughyedspud

Coach
thats cos most of our players only used to come over for 2 or 3 months at a time during our off season barely playing more than 10-12 games....

had they had a couple or 3 seasons there you'd have a different opinion

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench
It is laughable to say he performed better over here than Ellis, that is the main point.

Yes ....let's focus on the main point. Offiah had to score tries because of the shocking amount he let through.

Kinda like the Bunnies ...in a way.

Ellis > Offiah and most of the other pommy nuffies mentioned with the exception of Hanley and Bishop

Forwards are always the most valuable anyway. You'd need a bloody good back, in the mould of someone like Slater to consider taking 'em over a world class forward.

I'd take Ellis or say James Graham much sooner than I would Hanley or Offiah. Not to say they're better players, but more valuable I think.

Most teams(Except maybe the Dragqueens and Rabbithoes) have gun wingers( I realise the Pearl played all over the show). World class forwards are much harder to come by, especially getting a couple in 1 team.

I'm a Warriors fan. So don't really see wing and fullback as an area that could be improved on much. Forwards, even though I rate our pack, could be. Ellis is a MACHINE.

I know it's a big call but he's the Pom Second-Row Petero for me. Just one of those no-nonsense extremely good workhorses that nobody could speak ill of.

And I've had a couple of beers, which is why I've rambled.

I'm speaking in generalities here though. I wasn't about to see Hanley running around... But I just don't see it... Inglis has proven that no matter how good you are, if you're with a shit team a back is nothing to a team.

roughyedspud

Coach
funny you mention james graham.......i hope im wrong but i think he'll get found out in australia..i just don't think he has the temperament

funny you mention james graham.......i hope im wrong but i think he'll get found out in australia..i just don't think he has the temperament

You know what spud, you mentioned a potential move back in 09 or early 2010 and I would have said the same thing. Not only would I have said that, I've had gone into a full-blown rant and destroyed his mentality and his child-like being.

I don't know what's made me change my mind, but over the last year he's won my heart some. And it was heard as a Bradford fan, believe me.

I think he's matured and will rise to the Australian challenge.

The NRL is head and shoulders above the SL if you ask me, I'm a bit of a traitor by British standards, so I don't talk up any old SL player. But I have this gut feeling that Graham will go very well. It could be because he's signed to the Bulldogs and it seems like a fit, I'm not sure.

If you ask me now he's too good a player to fail and the worst of his mentality will aid him in the NRL, I think. He's too arrogant and stubborn in himself to fail.

Really though, I used to criticise Graham really heavy. I disliked him to the point I'd cheer Ryan bloody Bailey when they were up against each other!?!?!?! I like him at the Dogs though, a good fit I think

You are right though, his temperament is a bit 'off'. And it can either make him a great NRL player or a massive failure and sulk. I think he'll go well at the moment

WireMan

Bench

I don't think he will get found out. Thats just the way he is.

He had a massive moan after about 5 mins against us not long ago. Still kept going and dragged his team back into it.

I look at the forwards in NRL and think that he will be the number one prop in the NRL by the end of next season. He is a machine.

Glad he is leaving Saints.

roughyedspud

Coach
like i said i hope he does it.........but.......i would'nt be surprised if he's back at saints after a year

Don't you think though rough - and this is what change my mind a lot - that the sulk and arrogance in him could actually work in his favour? I just can't see him being the type of bloke to have a bad first year and piss of with his tail between his legs. He seems like he has far too 'much ego for it

axl rose

Bench
For anyone that was watching in the 80s how did Garry Schofield perform? I notice he has 50 games for Balmain.