What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop - Will it pay off?

RedVEddie

Juniors
So as happy as I am that we have signed a new great young player who seems to have some potential. My optimistic side is telling me that he will become an integral part of our team for the future and may be able to pair with another one of our young players as 6-7, or pair other potential players we might sign before seasons end.

However, my pessimistic/realist side tells me that this is a high risk low reward signing. He is a great player when he is playing with the best NRL team in the world alongside the best 3 players in the league today (Smith, Cronk, Slater). Hopefully he can convert his role play in Melbourne to match a team where he will be holding the reigns and leading the attack.

I will always look to my optimistic side being a diehard Dragons supporter and hope that he turns out to be the best signing of the decade for us.

Thoughts everyone?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Just relax. He doesn't get enough credit for what he does in the Storm line up. Great young player who will only get better with age.

Louiethefly

Juniors
He is a great buy, He can play in the halves, centres and absolutely carves up from fullback (I remember when he played NYC he looked like a mini Billy Slater). He's still young and will be able to form a good combination with King, Rein, Chase, Stanley or whoever is playing in the spine with him. Hopefully we can keep him long term because we are starting to get a few good players who we can build a solid team around.

Wizardman

First Grade
Personally, I think his best position is fullback. Wherever you play him, I hope he carves up because it will be great for international football to have him in full flight. His style was not unlike Slater's, but had no opportunity to develop in the position.

Steelman

Juniors
so as happy as i am that we have signed a new great young player who seems to have some potential. My optimistic side is telling me that he will become an integral part of our team for the future and may be able to pair with another one of our young players as 6-7, or pair other potential players we might sign before seasons end.

However, my pessimistic/realist side tells me that this is a high risk low reward signing. He is a great player when he is playing with the best nrl team in the world alongside the best 3 players in the league today (smith, cronk, slater). Hopefully he can convert his role play in melbourne to match a team where he will be holding the reigns and leading the attack.

I will always look to my optimistic side being a diehard dragons supporter and hope that he turns out to be the best signing of the decade for us.

Thoughts everyone?

please r u for real....

nrlnrl

First Grade
a definite positive as it gives the Dragons credibility when a key member of the reigning premiers leaves to join them.

possm

Coach
Widdop and Chase will be a great combo. Backed up with Drinkwater and Style we will at last have some dynamic halves that will take advantage of the great work our forwards provide.

Add fulbacks Dugan and Cummins, Centers Beale and Josh Morris and we will have a roster to match any team in the competition.

Sheens will have no trouble getting these players to perform at their best each week. All I hope is that he can keep Dugan on track but I am sure Dugan will respond to the influance of the Dragons fine culture in the same way as Vidot has.

Aside from the players mentioned above, the Dragons need to make certain the rention of Creagh, Rein and Weyman to ensure that we retain a competitive pack. Thompson is a very good addition given his versatility however, I hope he is positioned in the forwards in rotation with Frizell. How good would our 2014 team look?
Dugan/Cummins
B Morris/Quinlan
J Morris/Green/Runciman
Beale/C Stanley
Nightingale/Vidot
Widdop/K Stanley
Chase/Drinkwater
Merrin/De Bellin
Creagh/Harris
Thompson/Frizell
Hunt/Stockwell
Rein/King
Weymen/Prior

Last edited:

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Widdop looks a real good player. He comes from a strong club in terms of culture and he will add really good values to the squad; and this is something Todd Carney (or Dugan) would not add.He goes to the line and asks questions of the defence. The signing of Thompson is also terrific news. However I am scratching my head about us chasing Mitch Aubusson and/or Felite Mateo (if the rumors are true). These two blokes are well over rated. If we can get Rangi Chase back then the only real hole to fill is the center position. That is a real priority now. As for Josh Dugan...lets stay clear of him. I think he is far more trouble then he is worth.

Minh

First Grade
I've wanted Saints to sign Gareth from about two or three years ago and now we have him for next season he may get even better now that he is one of the main men in the team.

What's Up

Juniors
Relax everyone and take a breath. The poor bloke hasn't even started here yet and already he is being judged. You can't compare the big three and widdop in regards to us. What you should look at is comparing Gareth to Soward. Gareth is a better player, more complete player than Jamie and has age on his side. His best years are to come.

Very astute signing by the club. Very excited and I'm sure he'll do we'll. at least we will have a running halve. Haven't had one since Trent Barrett.

Fire

First Grade
So as happy as I am that we have signed a new great young player who seems to have some potential. My optimistic side is telling me that he will become an integral part of our team for the future and may be able to pair with another one of our young players as 6-7, or pair other potential players we might sign before seasons end.

However, my pessimistic/realist side tells me that this is a high risk low reward signing. He is a great player when he is playing with the best NRL team in the world alongside the best 3 players in the league today (Smith, Cronk, Slater). Hopefully he can convert his role play in Melbourne to match a team where he will be holding the reigns and leading the attack.

I will always look to my optimistic side being a diehard Dragons supporter and hope that he turns out to be the best signing of the decade for us.

Thoughts everyone?

It'll pay off.

We'll have him between the ages of 25-29.

Melbourne are cheating merkins, but, they know how to develop players. You can build a team around this kid.

We are also striking the right balance between moving on those from 2010 (Soward, Cooper, Fien), bringing in gun youth (Thompson, Frizell, Merrin), and having a good leaders at the club (Nighty, BMoz, Creagh).

bigkev.jpg

BennyV

Referee
He will definitely pay off. I imagine he'll stay at 5/8 here, where I reckon he excels (the only real difference between a 5/8 and fullback these days is defending in the front line). His running game would perfectly compliment the playmaking of Rangi Chase or even Josh Drinkwater when he comes of age. Best of all, he is young and has a good attitude. And he can tackle. Definite win for Saints

However I am scratching my head about us chasing Mitch Aubusson and/or Felite Mateo (if the rumors are true). These two blokes are well over rated. QUOTE]

I dont think Aubusson is overrated because noone really rates him! I wouldnt' bother chasing him, he'd be a depth player and we have plenty of them. Mateo would be an interesting inclusion - clearly has the talent but is very mistake-prone. That could be helped with decent coaching and surrounded by good players. Can you imagine how many tries would that with '...Merrin gets the ball, steps, spins, offloads to Mateo...'

Minh

First Grade
At 500k per season Saints have done well in negotiations, I'm pretty sure Widdop could have got more elsewhere but chose to come here instead. If we play our cards right we can win a premiership or three in the next 5-8 years.

getsmarty

Immortal
Relax everyone and take a breath. The poor bloke hasn't even started here yet and already he is being judged. You can't compare the big three and widdop in regards to us. What you should look at is comparing Gareth to Soward. Gareth is a better player, more complete player than Jamie and has age on his side. His best years are to come.

Very astute signing by the club. Very excited and I'm sure he'll do we'll. at least we will have a running halve. Haven't had one since Trent Barrett.

Exactly...let the bloke settle in!!!! LOL

64 Dragon

Coach
Widdop looks a real good player. He comes from a strong club in terms of culture and he will add really good values to the squad; and this is something Todd Carney (or Dugan) would not add.He goes to the line and asks questions of the defence. The signing of Thompson is also terrific news. However I am scratching my head about us chasing Mitch Aubusson and/or Felite Mateo (if the rumors are true). These two blokes are well over rated. If we can get Rangi Chase back then the only real hole to fill is the center position. That is a real priority now. As for Josh Dugan...lets stay clear of him. I think he is far more trouble then he is worth.

Aubusson has re-signed with the Chooks. Thank goodness.

Latest posts