What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garry Jack tips his son Kieran to switch from AFL to NRL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-from-afl-to-nrl/story-e6frexni-1225913985535

Garry Jack tips his son Kieran to switch from AFL to NRL

* Phil Rothfield Sports Editor-at-large
* September 03, 2010 11:27PM

THE league legend father of Sydney Swans poster boy Kieren Jack is predicting his son will do "a reverse Israel Folau" and switch from AFL to NRL before his football career is over.

Former Tigers and Kangaroo star Garry Jack last night told The Daily Telegraph his son would make an exceptional halfback in rugby league and would consider switching at the age of 26 when his Swans contract expires.

Jack, preparing for tomorrow's AFL finals showdown with Carlton at ANZ Stadium, could reverse the recent trend of NRL stars Folau and Karmichael Hunt jumping ship to a rival code.

"I think its something he'd like to do," Garry Jack said. "Kieren would love the challenge of testing himself against rugby league players.

"He played the game until he was 14 so he knows what to do.

"I think he'd make a great halfback. Imagine him at the Tigers playing inside Benji Marshall.

"On the fifth tackle he'd kick and land it on a sixpence. Personally, I'd love to see him do it one day if that's what he wants ... but it's his call."

Jack, 23, recently signed a three-year contract with the Swans in a deal worth around $1 million and is a real personality player and marketing tool for the game in Sydney.

A midfielder, Jack is renowned for his outstanding defence and has emerged as a genuine gamebreaker in the Swans' charge to the finals.

Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said his club would love to consider Jack for the NRL when his AFL contract is up.

"Anything is possible," Humphreys said.

"Seeing some of our guys going over to the AFL demonstrates that.

"I certainly wouldn't rule out the prospect and it will be a great yarn if it happens. I've not watched a lot of Kieren, but from what I have seen, he's a great competitor and he's very skilful.

"Pardon the pun, but he's a Tiger in terms of how he plays the game. He's obviously got a strong rugby league background and it would be a real possibility of happening if he's interested when his contract is up."

Having sat back and watched NRL superstars Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau quit the NRL to play AFL, league boss David Gallop welcomed the possibility of a genuine star jumping the other way.

"Wouldn't that be great given his pedigree in our game," Gallop said.

"It's fair to say if you can cut the mustard in the NRL on a weekly basis you can hold your head high among footballers of all codes given the intensity of our competition."

Jack's manager David Riolo last night said the Swans star was concentrating on his immediate future and the club's finals campaign.

"But if that's what he's told his dad, fair enough," Riolo said.

"He has the ability to do anything and after what's happened between the two codes in the past 12 months, anything is possible."

JW

Coach
Even if he wanted to, I can't see any NRL club even entertaining the thought of signing an AFL player.

LESStar58

Referee
Good old GJ's brain obviously got rewired when Ian Roberts used his head as a speedball!

Although any AFL player making the switch would generate trillions of dollars worth of media interest in comedy value alone!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not unless he gets offered in the order of $400-500,000 as that is what he'll be earning with his next contract with the Swans.

maple_69

Bench
He could land the ball on a sixpence on the 6th tackle? If he didnt hed be happy enough with his one point an...oh..you dont get a sympathy point? What about the million other skills of a halfback..guy has lost it

ironhorse

Juniors
AFL players into NRL ? would sit on the bench in nsw cup . Im sure Garry Jack is just trying to pump up his value in contract negs in a few years .

Paullyboy

Coach
AFL players can barely play there own sport let alone league..
He's got no chance.

This.

I put a punt on the Collingwood game last week because I was looking for value to add to my multi and it seemed like a sure thing. I watched the last quarter and couldn't believe how unskilled and flat out stupid these guys are. I obviously don't know much about AFL, but in the 5 minutes I was watching I worked out more about the game than half the clowns playing it. It was just embarrassing to consider I was watching "elite sport"

grouch

First Grade
I think you guys are missing the real issue here. And that is, the deep psychological pain and trauma of Garry Jack. I can sense the emotional distress buried deep within, the intense heartache of a true rugby league legend, that his son is playing the fairy game.

We should all share Garry's pain. I suggest we all wear lilac paisley armbands to the footy this week as an act of empathy, to show we know what it feels like to carry that burden.

Latest posts