What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB v Newcastle. Live 2SM.

Frederick

Staff member
bartman said:
8-10,000 is a decent crowd on a poor night, well done Newie fans.
According the FOXSPORTS the crowd was only 6235, so I'm actually pretty disappointed with that. I spose part of the blame has to go to the people who were advertising the match here, cause there was pretty much next to none in the couple of weeks leading up to it. Last night in my shop, I had the game blaring on the radio so it could be heard throughout the whole shop, and probably an average of 9/10 of my customers had no idea who was playing, or that there was even a match on last night.

roopy

Referee
Lowey3 said:
All the Saints team where 16.

Only 6 of them played in our Under 18's grand final victory over Wigan (batterd them).

The rest are lads who have only just turned 16... if we sent our other lads over who are 17 - 18 (Tyrer, Banni, etc...) then we would of put 50 on Newcastle.
If those guys were 16 - most will end up too big to play league when they are in their 20s.
The score at halftime was 22-4 and Saints went scoreless in the second half. The Newcastle boys worked out that the Saints forwards lacked mobility and the newcastle 6 and 7 made break after break down the middle of the field, but the Saints cover defence was firstclass and most breaks were cleaned up. Newcastle were held up over the line three times, which was due to great cover defence as well.
While a lot of the Newcastle players played in our u18s team this year, i think they only used 16 and 17 year olds.
If the game were played over again, with what we know now about the gaps down the middle of the park, Newcastle would win easily.

innsaneink

Referee
ucantseeme said:
i would expect any team of full time professionals to crush a team made up of part time amateurs, 40-6 is okay but if the Roos or Kiwis played against the same Newcastle division team you know it would be a massacre

Whats the point?

Its a warm up game, with nothing riding on the result, all the important games are following....I'd be surprised if they ) Poms ( got past third gear any period of the game bar maybe the opening spell.

roopy

Referee
The Newcastle comp is stronger than the Jim Beam cup.
I can't remember the exact figures, but Wyong opted to join the Newcastle comp rather than the Jim Beam cup because the JB salary restrictions would have seen them have to cut their salary to players by over half - and other sides in the Newcastle comp like Wests and Lakes spend more.
Players like Billy Peden, Mark Hughes, George Carmont, Chris Bailey, Craig Hall, Trent Salkeld and others have moved from the Newcastle comp to the NRL in the past - and most clubs in the newcastle comp have players with NRL experience.
Having said that - the Newcastle guys were playing the games of their lives and have been in near fulltime training for a month for this game - and the poms were trying to not get injured by these guys playing like their lives depended on it.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Roopy.. of the 3 pics, the first two just show the GB team only.

The 3rd has a red/white strip vs a green strip. I'm presuming this is the ST Helens kids vs Knights kids.

So back to the Newcastle select team, what colour strip did they wear, do you have any pics of them ?

JasonE

Bench

ah, it wasn't meant to be this small, i'll try and fix it tomorrow and i'll post one of my GB pics as well.

Lowey3

Juniors
roopy said:
If those guys were 16 - most will end up too big to play league when they are in their 20s.
The score at halftime was 22-4 and Saints went scoreless in the second half. The Newcastle boys worked out that the Saints forwards lacked mobility and the newcastle 6 and 7 made break after break down the middle of the field, but the Saints cover defence was firstclass and most breaks were cleaned up. Newcastle were held up over the line three times, which was due to great cover defence as well.
While a lot of the Newcastle players played in our u18s team this year, i think they only used 16 and 17 year olds.
If the game were played over again, with what we know now about the gaps down the middle of the park, Newcastle would win easily.

Take your main playmaker out of a team and points will dry up!

Gary Wheeler (St Helens stand off) was taken off injured, thats when we lost our way.

Listen here mate, we came over 2 years and batterd the Best you Aussies could offer and we'll do it again this year.

Played 1 = 1 one.

roopy

Referee
Lowey3 said:
Take your main playmaker out of a team and points will dry up!

Gary Wheeler (St Helens stand off) was taken off injured, thats when we lost our way.

Listen here mate, we came over 2 years and batterd the Best you Aussies could offer and we'll do it again this year.

Played 1 = 1 one.
I have to admit your team looked disciplined, fit and professional, as well as being much bigger than our guys.
On the other hand, the Knights development team looked like they had been thrown together an hour before the game. I don't have a team list, but i suspect many were guys who are hopeful of making our under 18 side next season.
Having said that - if we signed your entire backline and a few of your forwards i wouldn't complain.

Lowey3

Juniors
roopy said:
I have to admit your team looked disciplined, fit and professional, as well as being much bigger than our guys.
On the other hand, the Knights development team looked like they had been thrown together an hour before the game. I don't have a team list, but i suspect many were guys who are hopeful of making our under 18 side next season.
Having said that - if we signed your entire backline and a few of your forwards i wouldn't complain.

Thanks!

You no a little bit of credit is greatly appreciated when it comes to our guys. We at St Helens and the likes of Leeds and Wigan have really started to get the youth set up going.

It seems like Mr Daniel Anderson is willing to give youth a chance next season aswell, with 8 of the guys that toured Australia 2 years ago as part of the under 16's team, are in our full time squad.

This year we've seen the likes of James Graham and James Roby earn regular places and get picked for GB, while we also gave debutants to 10 players all aged under 18. Good to see.

While our GB coach at Wigan seems determined to sign any old average Australian (signed both Michael Withes and Shane Millard).

Shame really.

Latest posts