What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gene freed from Giants contract

MrCharisma

Bench
SUNDAY - 9th October 2005

Huddersfield have parted company with popular Papua New Guinea international Stanley Gene after rejecting his request for a contract extension.

The 31-year-old former Hull KR and Hull utility player has been released from the last 12 months of his contract with the Giants to give him the chance to look for another Super League club.

Gene, who made 63 Super League appearances since Huddersfield were promoted back into the top flight in 2003, wanted a new two-year deal to secure his future.

“Stanley approached the club looking for a contract extension beyond his existing term but that was something we were not prepared to commit to at this stage,” said Giants general manager Richard Thewlis.

“We wanted to review his position at the mid-point of next season but Stanley indicated that he believed he would attract offers elsewhere for a longer-term contract and we have agreed to release him from his contract.”

Huddersfield have also released former Leeds full-back or winger Marcus St Hilaire, 27, whose contract has expired, and former Halifax winger Lee Greenwood, 25, who played seven of the last eight matches of the season for the Giants after joining them from London Broncos.

The Giants have released eight players in all and have so far signed Andy Raleigh, Steve Snitch, Matt Gardner and Stephen Wild.

Taken from Super League website

bartman

Immortal
That's an interesting one. I can only assume Giants are after more players - if not this year then next year? Wonder where Gene, St Hillare and Greenwood will end up now...

JasonE

Bench
I heard the Giants may be signing Albert Torrens, I can't believe why, he was ok about 5 years ago.
Lee Greenwood isn't too bad at all.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Heard the same rumour, but where's the evidance?

Where allowing Robbie to leave for rubbish, can't say I'm happy if the signing is true.

JasonE

Bench
DrewBeliever said:
Heard the same rumour, but where's the evidance?

Where allowing Robbie to leave for rubbish, can't say I'm happy if the signing is true.

I've read it in the independent, examiner and league weekly (Gene to Bulls), RP has signed for 2 years at the Giants.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
If the media have hold of such news, then I don't understand why the Bulls don't publish it on line. It's pretty stupid.

bartman

Immortal
Looks like not re-signing Gene for two-years was perhaps linked to the Giants now-announced signing of Aspinwall from Wigan, on a two year deal...

terracesider

Juniors
bartman said:
Looks like not re-signing Gene for two-years was perhaps linked to the Giants now-announced signing of Aspinwall from Wigan, on a two year deal...

Maybe. It's as good an explanation as any, but Aspinwall wll not be able to fulfil vital role that Gene did. Sir Stanley has been the influential figure in Fartown's revival and it's hard to see who is going to replace him as the main playmaker. Perhaps Thorman will step up.

Sharp seems to be rebuilding the side and with a resticted budget I guess some tough decisions have to be made.

As for us signing Wobbie, you'd better crank up the swear filters....

damo72

Juniors
JasonE said:
I heard the Giants may be signing Albert Torrens, I can't believe why, he was ok about 5 years ago.
Lee Greenwood isn't too bad at all.

Albert Torrens is playing for Cronulla next season

damo72

Juniors
I have now heard that Huddersfield have signed him for 12 months but I got the info from a recent article posted on another site, I feel sorry for Huddersfield. Although it looks like a surplus of centres with De Vere, Evans, Aspinwall and now Torrens

terracesider

Juniors
damo72 said:
I have now heard that Huddersfield have signed him for 12 months but I got the info from a recent article posted on another site, I feel sorry for Huddersfield. Although it looks like a surplus of centres with De Vere, Evans, Aspinwall and now Torrens

Confirmed by the club:

http://www.atomservices.co.uk/giants/latestNews/NewsArticle.asp?Index=837

Thanks but don't worry about it. We are quite capable of feeling sorry enough for ourselves. Must admit, I know nothing about him.

damo72

Juniors
He isn't as bad as some make him out to be, struck a raw deal at Manly and never stood a chance at St George Illawarra behind Gasnier and Cooper. Can finish a try and could possibly play lock (or loose forward as the British put it) but I really hope you get to see the best of De Vere as he is one of the best defensive centres running around, can sniff out a try and a tremendous goal kicker, just hope he stays injury free.