What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GENERAL - Aussie OR Kiwi...?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Benji Marshal, Sonny Bill Williams and karmichael Hunt are arguably the most exciting prospects in Rugby League. SBW has committed himself to the New Zealand side. Unfortunately this means he may not be able to play origin which is a major shame IMO.

But both Marshal and Hunt have said that they are putting State of Origin ahead of International tests. I think this is a major prob;em in our game at the moment. New Zealand in a couple of years could potentially have an awesome team consisting of the like of Hunt, Marshal, Williams, Tupou that could rival Australia but as long as players are putting Origin ahead of Tests than the kiwis are always going to suffer.

Is it time that Kiwi's and are allowed to play origin? Or should it remain that origin = Australians and Kiwis can play if they choose to represent the Kangaroos.

I have no doubt that if Kiwi's could play Origin than Hunt and Marshal would make themselves eligible for New Zealand.

roopy

Referee
Willie Mason and Timana Tahu both had to decide which country to represent as well.

yakstorm

First Grade
Benji Marshall declared himself for NZ earlier this year mate. Hunt is the only Kiwi in the recent batch of exciting new players to declare himself for Origin instead of the nation he spent most of his life growing up in.

The difference with say Carroll, Mason and Tahu is they all spent the majority of their lives in Australia, with them only being born over in NZ and moving over when they were 3. In their cases they have been in Australia more than long enough to be Australian's.

Hunt has caused all the controversy compared to the others cause even at the moment he isn't an Australian Citizen, he is only a resident. He is still a NZ citizen and spent most of his life in Kiwiland.

roopy

Referee
Tahu was born in Melbourne with a Maori father and an Aboriginal mother. His parents split when he was young - with his father returning to NZ and his mother taking him to her hometown of Moree. Tahu didn't play league till he went to an aboriginal youth hostel in Newcastle and started to attend Cardiff High at the age of 16 - and was in firstgrade within two years. He was also a gifted basketballer.

The point is - he never went to NZ till he went with the Knights to play the Warriors and had very little contact with his father till a few years ago. His father tried to convince him to play Union.

yakstorm

First Grade
My apologises about Tahu, I thought he was born in NZ but moved over... Mason (Auckland) and Carroll (Christchurch) were however.

DIEHARD

----
That was during Super League and it was a massive effort to find any QLD Origin players. With the ARL neglecting to sign QLD Origin stars.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Yeah I saw an interview on 60 minutes with Benjii Marshall and he said on it that he wants to get rid of his shoulder injury before playing for the kiwis and that his goal is to play for the kiwis and that he pledges his allegiance to NZ. I have no problems with Carroll, Tahu and Mason playing for Australia but not Hunt

joshreading

Staff member
I think everyone (the players and ARL etc.) need to realise that if the Kiwi's (and even a Pac Island team) are aloud to become strong not only will Origin remain strong (there is no threat there) but we can quite soon be at the point where games between Australia and New Zealand command higher attention and respect Australia wide then Origin.

When we have respectable tests other states will show it because it represents all of Australia. (Origin does NOT)

nz_novacastrian

Juniors
what actually happened with Carroll, because he has played NZ Maori but has also played for Queensland!! I think that anyone who plays NRL should be able to play origin. That'd allow the likes of Morley, Wiki and such to excel if they got choosen in this great game.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
nz_novacastrian said:
what actually happened with Carroll, because he has played NZ Maori but has also played for Queensland!! I think that anyone who plays NRL should be able to play origin. That'd allow the likes of Morley, Wiki and such to excel if they got choosen in this great game.

The only dowside of this is it takes away the aura of Origin. NSWelshmen V queenslanders. Origin would become a glorified all-stars game.

tigerdude

Juniors
heaps of players were allowed to play for different countries when the world cup was on. Luke rickestson played for Ireland, and Willie mason played for Tonga. Lote played for fiji as well. All of them have since played RL for Australia

DIEHARD

----
Tidus_Raider said:
The only dowside of this is it takes away the aura of Origin. NSWelshmen V queenslanders. Origin would become a glorified all-stars game.

Exactly and it is a MASSIVE downside. We can't let it happen.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
This is where it's all gone wrong:

*Brett Webb is an Aussie, has no Kiwi background, has only been living in NZL for 3 years yet he qualifies for New Zealand
*Tonie Carroll played for NZL in the world cup cause he missed out on selection for Australia in 2000. After that he was eligible for New Zealand in the GB tour in 2002. Not a minor nation, they try and compare that to Ricketson playing for Ireland, stupid comparison cause Ireland is a minor nation. He's a kiwi first, yet they select him for Australia

C'mon guys think about other countries as well as picking players for Australia, despite the fact that they are Kiwis. I mean Karmichael Hunt is more Kiwi than Brent Webb and NATHAN CAYLESS !!!! :shock: :?

yakstorm

First Grade
The Cayless brothers are a clear example of why international eligability can never be clear cut. They were born in Australia, grew up in Australia and are Parramatta jnrs, but they are two of the most proud Kiwis you will ever meet, and love playing in the Black and White jersey.

Their parents are Kiwis, and they are extremely proud of their heritage, and its not like they couldn't of gone far for Australia. At stages Nathan could of easily made Origin, and same with Jason, but they see themselves as New Zealanders and good on them.

Latest posts