What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don't think 'offended' is the correct term.

It'e the media carry on which is I suppose concerning. Their ability to 'adjust' the landscape to suit their own agendas.

Because so many believe the first narrative that is placed in front of them

Little do they know this will narrative will just steel them for 2022 season.

The Realist

Juniors
Post of the day Maple.

I'm getting towards my mid 60's.

The stories I've heard about players, (including the immortals) if they ever came to light.....rugby league as we know would go up in flames.

It's bad real bad.

So the media have their y fronts in a tangle over a couple of photos, and the words to a song, a trophy being dropped (which has happened many times before) and a playing singing another teams victory song whilst druenk. A blokes mates (not him) but mates braking the covid rules.....

PLEASE

These wouldn't even make the top 1,000 of things done.

On the whole rugby league players have never been better behaved.

Some opposition fans though (you point and I'll whistle) are nothing more than Karen's clutching their pearls whilst wearing a twin set and skirt.

I had a customer once who told me a bunch of 1st hand accounts of Johnny Raper and his behaviour. He was worse than a deplorable human being despite being a legendary player. He'd make Tyrone May (at his worst) look like a real angel.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I had a customer once who told me a bunch of 1st hand accounts of Johnny Raper and his behaviour. He was worse than a deplorable human being despite being a legendary player. He'd make Tyrone May (at his worst) look like a real angel.

I know stories from a number of 'stars' from that era. None of which I chose to repeat.

The carryon by folks since Penrith won the G/F is almost laughable. As i said earlier nothing criminal. Just blokes and their partners with perhaps a little too much grog in their system, dropping the trophy. Then an attempt to 'take care' of the trophy as best they knew how.

Nathan Cleary just posted a photo on instagram of a massive blister the poor bloke has on his back since surgery from where the strapping and sling has rubbed against his skin. It looked nasty and quite vile and most of all REAL

Unlike the narrative the sports NRL media are going on with.

I have watched league since the mid 1960's. The only difference today. Folks (I mean everyone) has a mobile with a camera, wanting to 'take some footy player down'.

If anything players behave much better than they ever did back in the day. Perhaps these media writers need reminding. But knowing Kent they'll laugh it off and call it 'iconic'.

Like I said some weeks ago there is some postcode racism (bias) around rugby league. The big end of town is unhappy that those bogan westie with the tough upbring and swagger have woken up.

All the media is doing now is putting a fire in the players bodies for 2022.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
No internationals, no sport whatsoever in Australia at the moment, what else do they have?

I think most of the opposition fan hate has just come from jealousy. We’re the only club to patiently address our institutional problems and drag ourselves out of the shitheap rather than just employing deadshits to fling stupid money at stupid players. It’s pretty clear we’re joining the Chooks and Storm as perennial contenders. No one is going to like us anymore but they will enjoy the scraps of elite talent that we let go to prop up their clubs.

MTNPanther

Juniors
I know stories from a number of 'stars' from that era. None of which I chose to repeat.

The carryon by folks since Penrith won the G/F is almost laughable. As i said earlier nothing criminal. Just blokes and their partners with perhaps a little too much grog in their system, dropping the trophy. Then an attempt to 'take care' of the trophy as best they knew how.

Nathan Cleary just posted a photo on instagram of a massive blister the poor bloke has on his back since surgery from where the strapping and sling has rubbed against his skin. It looked nasty and quite vile and most of all REAL

Unlike the narrative the sports NRL media are going on with.

I have watched league since the mid 1960's. The only difference today. Folks (I mean everyone) has a mobile with a camera, wanting to 'take some footy player down'.

If anything players behave much better than they ever did back in the day. Perhaps these media writers need reminding. But knowing Kent they'll laugh it off and call it 'iconic'.

Like I said some weeks ago there is some postcode racism (bias) around rugby league. The big end of town is unhappy that those bogan westie with the tough upbring and swagger have woken up.

All the media is doing now is putting a fire in the players bodies for 2022.
My mum used to work at the Log Cabin in Penrith in the 80’s and 90’s the crap the players used to do would make Tyrone May look like an angel.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
My mum used to work at the Log Cabin in Penrith in the 80’s and 90’s the crap the players used to do would make Tyrone May look like an angel.

I know.

As a small child I had an example that remains in my mind even for today.

Local captain coach was paid off after his grandfinal win. Got on the booze big time. Travelled on a train one of those trains that had what was called 'dog boxes'.

We were travelling on the same train. This bloke got violent and wrapped a towel round his arm to punch out the window of the 'dog box' next to my family. (my dad was a train driver and knew the ways of the railways). Dad and the guard managed to get hold of this bloke, and someone managed to get word to the station master at the next stopping station to get the police.

As a 6 year old kid it was terrifying. So never tell me the players are worse behaved than back then. It was 1963.

(my dad although not super tall about 5 11" but built like a brick outhouse could hold his own well and truly, even a burly prop forward)

Some of the tales I know would curl the hair of many.

Fangs

Coach
Norm was a true giant of the game. Escapes the accolades that others receive. An obvious candidate for immortal status.

Latest posts