What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

WestyLife

First Grade
Western Sydney had some of the highest no votes to gay marriage and half the team is highly religious. No chance it'd happen at Panthers and this is not an indication of my personal thoughts on the subject.

Fangs

Coach
What can they do though?

They want to be inclusive for all. You can't tell a % of players/Fans that their beliefs matter

If it just stays the way it is they probably won't need to influence the situation anymore. PVL has already made a statement so its looks like its done.

Manly probably run with the jersey again in 2023 so its not an issue that will be going away.

Iamback

Coach
Western Sydney had some of the highest no votes to gay marriage and half the team is highly religious. No chance it'd happen at Panthers and this is not an indication of my personal thoughts on the subject.

I agree.

TBH our personal thoughts aren't really relevant here, The game wants to be all inclusive. This includes those with religious views which we don't agree with.

We are flying on and off the field, have players from all walks of life throughout the club. That to me paints the club in a great light as community role models

Iamback

Coach
If it just stays the way it is they probably won't need to influence the situation anymore. PVL has already made a statement so its looks like its done.

Manly probably run with the jersey again in 2023 so its not an issue that will be going away.

Manly probably come up with another 10 different design jerseys to flog off next year

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I don't see why we should bend over backward for sky fairies. Especially when those who claim that they are just following the teachings of that sky fairy in hating gay people then turn a blind eye to wife bashers, gambling promotions, sex before marriage etc. that apparently sky fairies don't like either. It's all bullshit, isn't it?

ThePain

Juniors
Isn't not accepting the players differences hypocritical itself?

It is why there is no right or wrong answer here
You missed my point. My point is, that the bible teaches inclusiveness, and not hatred. If someone is homosexual, bisexual, lesbian, or heterosexual, what business is it of others? These players play on a Sunday, which is a typical religious day. The religious people will kick up a stink if the tables were turned.

I agree.

TBH our personal thoughts aren't really relevant here, The game wants to be all inclusive. This includes those with religious views which we don't agree with.

I agree. While I personally would like to see Penrith players in a jersey (I went on line last night to see if I could buy a Manly jersey; felt a little sick inside) I think being inclusive is about respecting different peoples opinions and beliefs.

And before people say that the 7/4 Manly players or other players who would not wear a jersey are not being inclusive, remember that the Manly club thought that the players would wear the jerseys automatically (ie they didn’t consult). Obviously this means the players aren’t walking around espousing hate crime; and as far as I can see have said nothing publicly apart from they don’t want to wear the jersey. This is different than Folau.

Iamback

Coach
I agree. While I personally would like to see Penrith players in a jersey (I went on line last night to see if I could buy a Manly jersey; felt a little sick inside) I think being inclusive is about respecting different peoples opinions and beliefs.

And before people say that the 7/4 Manly players or other players who would not wear a jersey are not being inclusive, remember that the Manly club thought that the players would wear the jerseys automatically (ie they didn’t consult). Obviously this means the players aren’t walking around espousing hate crime; and as far as I can see have said nothing publicly apart from they don’t want to wear the jersey. This is different than Folau.

That is it. Have the conversation, Maybe you don't play in the jersey. it is online with those comfortable wearing it do so and discuss why it is a good thing.

Those with an issue with it, Do the work with another good cause that aligns with their beliefs

I don't know about you but in my workplace, Not everyone agrees with only the same things. Not sure why we expect a footy club to be any different

Munky

Coach
This Leviticus bloke could solve all our salary cap problems:

"You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."

Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT

I think this whole episode shows how far we have to go with understanding tolerance as a society.

Some of the comments on here (both for and against) demonstrate little inclusivity.

(I know, I know, the irony…)

Iamback

Coach
I think this whole episode shows how far we have to go with understanding tolerance as a society.

Some of the comments on here (both for and against) demonstrate little inclusivity.

(I know, I know, the irony…)

That is the Crux of it.

Manly management should had tolerance that some may have an issue with it.

The players have shown no tolerance that people may get offended with their stance

This Leviticus bloke could solve all our salary cap problems:

"You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."

Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT
The scene pasted below still remains one of my most favourite ever TV scenes. The backstory is that Martin Sheen is the president and a liberal practicing catholic. His daughter has been dating a black man (which doesn’t go down well with many sections of America, which isn’t necessarily a big stretch of fiction). The blonde woman is a Christian fundamentalist radio host who has apparently said some things about the president’s daughter and her boyfriend (that happens off-screen).

Enjoy…

BxTom

Bench
"would rather go to hell than to a homophobic heaven."

"If the church, after the victory over apartheid, is looking for a worthy moral crusade, then this is it: the fight against homophobia and heterosexism."

Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

Latest posts