What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Pomoz

Bench
Isn't not accepting the players differences hypocritical itself?

It is why there is no right or wrong answer here
Hold on, it is illegal to discriminate against gays, you could argue refusing to wear the jersey is an act of discrimination. They are publicly stating they are against homosexuality. It is also against the principles Australian society has voted to enforce, hence why gay marriage is now legal and there are discrimination laws in place. You can't just say "My religious beliefs allow me to opt out of any laws and act against the wishes of the general public".

I have absolutely no tolerance for people who want to discriminate and hide behind "their religious beliefs". Beliefs that stand up to no intellectual scrutiny whatsoever. "God is love", yeah and I'm the Prince of Wales.

Iamback

Coach
Hold on, it is illegal to discriminate against gays, you could argue refusing to wear the jersey is an act of discrimination. They are publicly stating they are against homosexuality. It is also against the principles Australian society has voted to enforce, hence why gay marriage is now legal and there are discrimination laws in place. You can't just say "My religious beliefs allow me to opt out of any laws and act against the wishes of the general public".

I have absolutely no tolerance for people who want to discriminate and hide behind "their religious beliefs". Beliefs that stand up to no intellectual scrutiny whatsoever. "God is love", yeah and I'm the Prince of Wales.

Have they actually said why they are against it though?

Education on both sides likely fixes this issue

Maybe the players wrongly think god cares what colours they wear. A Cultural elder going through their concerns may fix this. Getting family involved etc.

I personally am anti religion.

However the NRL/Clubs proudly state that there is a 50% islander respresentation in the NRL. With that comes the religious aspect,
They are happy to marvel at the Fiji prayer before the test matches.

Players of both sides are allowed to have a post match prayer circle. Yet won't address the parts of the religion that most people find uncomfortable?

Either you are all in with cultural awareness or you aren't. Finding the happy medium is the way forward. Not forcing 50% of the players to do what you think they should

Bob

Juniors
Have they actually said why they are against it though?

Education on both sides likely fixes this issue

Maybe the players wrongly think god cares what colours they wear. A Cultural elder going through their concerns may fix this. Getting family involved etc.

I personally am anti religion.

However the NRL/Clubs proudly state that there is a 50% islander respresentation in the NRL. With that comes the religious aspect,
They are happy to marvel at the Fiji prayer before the test matches.

Players of both sides are allowed to have a post match prayer circle. Yet won't address the parts of the religion that most people find uncomfortable?

Either you are all in with cultural awareness or you aren't. Finding the happy medium is the way forward. Not forcing 50% of the players to do what you think they should
I can understand their point of view, they might not have anything against gay people personally but the family unit might be against it and with the Polynesian players family is very important part of their culture

Kilkenny

Coach
I think it is a complex issue in which the decision makers at the Sea Eagles club should have adopted a more open and consultative approach given they must have known it had the potential for conflict amongst there Polynesian players who hold deep cultural and religious beliefs.

I can see both sides of the argument and I think the decision makers at the Sea Eagles should have handled the situation much better as a consequence of which they have placed there players from a Polynesian background in a difficult position.

Kilkenny

Coach

I’m not sure this situation is so simple Although I understand the point you are making.

The Human Rights Commission also has provisions designed to protect a person, or groups of persons from being discriminated against based on there religious beliefs.

It really is a very complex issue And one that is clearly dividing opinions.

Iamback

Coach
I can understand their point of view, they might not have anything against gay people personally but the family unit might be against it and with the Polynesian players family is very important part of their culture

From the ones I know this is the case. Again this would of been 5-6 weeks in planning, in that time maybe you can get a few to come around or you have just rainbow on the sleeve.

There are ways around it Then just saying you are doing it

Iamback

Coach
I think it is a complex issue in which the decision makers at the Sea Eagles club should have adopted a more open and consultative approach given they must have known it had the potential for conflict amongst there Polynesian players who hold deep cultural and religious beliefs.

I can see both sides of the argument and I think the decision makers at the Sea Eagles should have handled the situation much better as a consequence of which they have placed there players from a Polynesian background in a difficult position.

There is no winners in this situation. Sad state of affairs

ThePain

Juniors
The bible also says in Leviticus man should NOT lay with man so where is their hypocrisy
The bible is a fictional book. The whole idea about religion is that it practices acceptance, not intolerance. If the roles were reversed, these players would be up in arms.

Bob

Juniors
The bible is a fictional book. The whole idea about religion is that it practices acceptance, not intolerance. If the roles were reversed, these players would be up in arms.
Your view it’s a fictional book, according to the last ABS census over 60% of Australians disagree with you

betcats

Referee
The bible also says in Leviticus man should NOT lay with man so where is their hypocrisy

The bible also talks about how slaves should be obedient to their masters so maybe, just maybe people should stop taking it literally as if it is some written law of right and wrong. Ive never met a christian person who didnt pick and choose which parts of the bible they would obey and which parts they would ignore.

Iamback

Coach
The bible also talks about how slaves should be obedient to their masters so maybe, just maybe people should stop taking it literally as if it is some written law of right and wrong. Ive never met a christian person who didnt pick and choose which parts of the bible they would obey and which parts they would ignore.

How do they learn what to pick and choose though?

Right at this point in time instead of just expecting those people to conform, It needs to be an education process. That is the step that was missed in this whole farce

Goonji

Juniors
My take on the Manly jersey saga... good intentions but poorly executed. Des and DCE should never have been put in a position to answer to the media. Gutless management. As for the players, they're free to believe whatever they like but it reeks of hypocrisy when the club is sponsored by betting agencies and an alcohol company.

WestyLife

First Grade
My take on the Manly jersey saga... good intentions but poorly executed. Des and DCE should never have been put in a position to answer to the media. Gutless management. As for the players, they're free to believe whatever they like but it reeks of hypocrisy when the club is sponsored by betting agencies and an alcohol company.

Gambling and alcohol aren't issues for Christians unless you get into drunkenness, addiction, love of money territory. Done in moderation it's fine. Muslims have a bigger thing about it.

WestyLife

First Grade
That seems to be the confusion

Yeah that's without mentioning distinctions between old and new testaments which apply differently for Jews and Christians.

If we are going to push back it has to be accurate and I think by educating people. It gets forgotten most of the time these beliefs are ingrained from childhood. They didn't really get a choice and sitting the 7 down with Ian Roberts and having an honest discussion could go a long way.

Latest posts