What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Hooked

Juniors
Getting messy.

Panthers winger Taylan May is suing the NRL club, alleging their attempt to terminate his contract is unlawful.

The player's legal fight was this week adjourned with an injunction until next month in the Federal Court.

May was stood down by the NRL after he was charged with domestic violence offences earlier this year. He's pleaded not guilty.

May was first served with a show cause notice late last month over several alleged breaches during his time at the club.

May was then asked to attend a meeting with Penrith's board, before a second show cause notice was served to him two days later asking him to front the board again.

The centre was told earlier this month he would only be paid out the remainder of this year's contract if sacked.

May fights for career at Panthers​

May recently extended his contract with the club, with the deal reportedly valued at $1.2 million for 2025 and 2026.

May's legal team alleges the club breached employment law by sending him a second show-cause notice, because of complaints he made in the initial board meeting.

His defence states the 22-year-old should not be asked to answer questions in regards to his ongoing criminal case, where he denies claims he punched his wife in the face during an argument.

"If (Penrith) is permitted to proceed as contemplated by the second show cause notice and related correspondence, then May will be faced with the invidious choice of either exercising his common law right to silence, in which case May's employment is likely to be terminated ... Or answering (Penrith's) questions, thereby "fundamentally alter(ing) the accusatorial judicial process" May's legal team said in a statement to the court.

Panthers move to sack sidelined star​

May will seek damages from the club, claiming he suffered loss as a result of having to defend himself against Penrith's actions and there would be further reputational damage if his contract is terminated.

Penrith has already moved on from May on the field, signing Wests Tigers outside back Asu Kepaoa when May was stood down.

WestyLife

First Grade
Getting messy.

Panthers winger Taylan May is suing the NRL club, alleging their attempt to terminate his contract is unlawful.

The player's legal fight was this week adjourned with an injunction until next month in the Federal Court.

May was stood down by the NRL after he was charged with domestic violence offences earlier this year. He's pleaded not guilty.

May was first served with a show cause notice late last month over several alleged breaches during his time at the club.

May was then asked to attend a meeting with Penrith's board, before a second show cause notice was served to him two days later asking him to front the board again.

The centre was told earlier this month he would only be paid out the remainder of this year's contract if sacked.

May fights for career at Panthers​

May recently extended his contract with the club, with the deal reportedly valued at $1.2 million for 2025 and 2026.

May's legal team alleges the club breached employment law by sending him a second show-cause notice, because of complaints he made in the initial board meeting.

His defence states the 22-year-old should not be asked to answer questions in regards to his ongoing criminal case, where he denies claims he punched his wife in the face during an argument.

"If (Penrith) is permitted to proceed as contemplated by the second show cause notice and related correspondence, then May will be faced with the invidious choice of either exercising his common law right to silence, in which case May's employment is likely to be terminated ... Or answering (Penrith's) questions, thereby "fundamentally alter(ing) the accusatorial judicial process" May's legal team said in a statement to the court.

Panthers move to sack sidelined star​

May will seek damages from the club, claiming he suffered loss as a result of having to defend himself against Penrith's actions and there would be further reputational damage if his contract is terminated.

Penrith has already moved on from May on the field, signing Wests Tigers outside back Asu Kepaoa when May was stood down.

I hope they didn't try to make him answer for the DV thing because that'd be legal suicide with it still being an ongoing thing not found guilty yet.

The Realist

Juniors
I am not agreeing with the majority on the Taylan May issue. The handling of the entire situation is predominately the Clubs fault.

If it's eventually proven that he committed a crime then he should walk. Till then he should have been treated fairly, and given the reporting on the situation, the Club did not do that. Created an enemy for no reason.

I am not agreeing with the majority on the Taylan May issue. The handling of the entire situation is predominately the Clubs fault.

If it's eventually proven that he committed a crime then he should walk. Till then he should have been treated fairly, and given the reporting on the situation, the Club did not do that. Created an enemy for no reason.
Remember the 1st club announcement was never the DVA. Apparently he lied about something else or hide something from the club.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Remember the 1st club announcement was never the DVA. Apparently he lied about something else or hide something from the club.

There is more to this than what us (the general public) have been told.

Why do posters on here presume the Club has engaged Law Firm Dumb, Dumb and Dumber?

Well said. The club would of course being using legal advice that is competent.

Some of May's rantings have been quite unhinged, then add in that he appears to be addicted to these railings too. All very sad.

Munky

Coach
Since a payout is excluded from the cap it wouldn't surprise me if sacking him was based on roster reasons.

Recruitment is frozen with his playing status in limbo until atleast next year. Sacked with a payout the club only loses monetarily rather than on the field.

The lawyers will love that he wants to go to court, a shit load of billable hours from a client with deep pockets.

MrBlack

Juniors
For all we know there may be more than one incident of DV. It could be suppressed from the media/public. Or even other events that led us to where we are today.

The show cause could be a result of the repeat offending.

Purely speculation on my part. You would have to think the club is getting advice, and competent advice at that.

soc123_au

Staff member
The May brothers are f**king morons I'm sure he's done a heap of shit. The issue will be if he has proof of other players getting up to certain activities.
Fair chance he would have, f**kwit that he seems to be I don't have him as the type of guy who would dog his mates. His dipshit brother certainly could have and didn't.

Hooked

Juniors

Ivan Cleary autobiography: Why triple-premiership winner agreed to get out of his comfort zone​

Ivan Cleary has stepped out of his comfort zone to reveal his deepest insights with a new soon-to-be released biography of his stunning career, he talks to DAVID RICCIO about why now and what he wanted to say.
David Riccio Chief Sports Writer

Ivan Cleary has lifted the lid on coaching his superstar son, revealing he would struggle to continue if Nathan wasn’t one of the NRL’s greatest players.

Cleary, a normally reluctant media contributor by his own admission, has stepped out of his comfort zone to reveal his deepest insights with a new soon-to-be released biography of his stunning career.
It shapes as the most intimate and detailed perspective from one of the most successful rugby league’s coaches of the modern era.

The three-time premiership-winner needed to be convinced to pen the tell-all story, ‘Not Everything Counts But Everything Matters.’
“But I guess with enough encouragement, and after winning three premierships, it was probably a story worth telling,’’ Cleary said.

In the book, Cleary peels back the curtain on his style of leadership and how he has managed to cultivate sustained football success, of which has rarely been achieved, and with one of the most diverse collections of young footballers.
Not Everything Counts But Everything Matters by Ivan Cleary will be published by HarperCollins in October. It is available for pre-order now via Amazon and other retailers.

He also breaks down the challenges of coaching his famous son, Nathan.
“I wouldn’t have come back to Penrith from the Wests Tigers at the end of 2018 (if Nathan wasn’t as talented),’’ Cleary told The Sunday Telegraph.
“Not having to worry about whether I should pick him, or whether people criticised me, or brought the whole nepotism thing into question, which was always going to be a thing … I don’t think I would’ve done it if Nat was a fringe player.

“I was always confident that he would be up to it and if the decision to pick him or not pick him was keeping me up at night, I wouldn’t have done it.’’
One of the major motivations behind Cleary writing the book, which will be published by HarperCollins in October, was that he hopes he can inspire others far beyond the game on how to keep going when challenged by adversity.

He uses the Panthers’ dismal 2019 season, when finishing 10th in his first year back at the club following a brief two-year stint at the Wests Tigers as an example.

“We finished tenth that year and if I didn’t have a good year the next year (2020), I actually would’ve given it away,’’ Cleary said.
“It sounds a bit like Hollywood ever since then.
“I wasn’t in a good place. I felt really guilty for a lot of people, including the burden I had placed on my son (Nathan) and guys like (former Penrith chairman) Dave O’Neill, who got me back to the club and who had taken a big risk in doing so.
“It just wasn’t working, but we got there in the end.
“A lot of people look back on their life and have similar stories, where in order to make real change, which is difficult, you actually need to learn the hard way.
“By nature I gravitate towards being comfortable, as most of us do.
“So I’ve had to learn over time, even to the point where I knew that I needed to do it, particularly as a coach, I needed to be pushed to the brink, to be able to put it into action.
“It’s now something that comes much easier.

Team​

Years​

Games​

Win​

Loss​

Draw​

Win %​

Warriors2006-20111547774350%
Penrith2012-2015984454044.90%
Wests Tigers2017-2018431825041.86%
Penrith2019-now14410933275.69%
Overall2006-2024439248186556.49%

* Source: Rugby League Project

“I never even dreamed of even trying to be that person that others can look to.
“You just don’t realise until you get older that you can have an effect like that.
“You almost feel responsible to share it. That’s part of the reason why I’m doing the book.
“I just feel I’m such a normal person who has worked hard, got lucky here and there and kept at it. “I feel like there’s some things that people can relate too.
“I really want people to get something out of it, not just from a football or coaching sense.
“That’s a big driver for me. I’m not just trying to tell my story. I actually feel like it's a normal story capable of helping other people.’’
Cleary says the title is derived from the everyday coaching he asks of his players.
“Nothing just happens, everything matters,’’ Cleary said.

“I talk to the players a fair bit about that. It’s how I like to coach and I believe in it.
“After doing this long enough, you just know that if you take short cuts somewhere that you don’t think anyone will see or you don’t think means something, it will bite you on the arse at some point.
“You might be doing something a certain way and you’re getting away with it by winning, but somewhere along the way, you’ll fail and you’ll look back and go there were little things that started to slip.’’
The 53-year-old father of four, who has used the books of his own coaching idols as inspiration including,

Sir Alex Ferguson, Bill Belichick, Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy, concedes the process of writing his own life story has proven both confronting and cathartic.
“I’m way out of my comfort zone,’’ Cleary said.

“But I suppose that is one of the reasons why I did it as well.
“I’m always trying to encourage my players to get uncomfortable.
“I would be that humbled if anyone got something out of this book like I have with so many other coaches. If I’m able to do that with one person, that would be amazing.’’
Not Everything Counts But Everything Matters by Ivan Cleary will be published by HarperCollins in October. It is available for pre-order now via Amazon and other retailers.