What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

chrisD

Coach
During his first stint Ivan pretty much said he'd like to stay here forever, has he ever said anything different? Things change but why wouldn't the assumption as of now be that Ivan is our coach for the long term foreseeable future, regardless of when his current contract is set to end.

Fangs

Coach
During his first stint Ivan pretty much said he'd like to stay here forever, has he ever said anything different? Things change but why wouldn't the assumption as of now be that Ivan is our coach for the long term foreseeable future, regardless of when his current contract is set to end.

Definately haven't read anything publicly about retirement but I could think of a couple reasons.

Plenty of coaches don't go out on top. Has finally won a grand final and has a competitive top 4 team locked up for a couple more seasons. Might be a good time to step off.

Also to give his son a chance to play his best football without him hanging around.

Blues Riff

Bench
During his first stint there was talk of Ivan eventually taking over from Gus as ...whatever Gus was. Garth Brennan was the golden boy at the time.

Kilkenny

Coach
During his first stint there was talk of Ivan eventually taking over from Gus as ...whatever Gus was. Garth Brennan was the golden boy at the time.
Garth has been back in Newcastle in the Real EsTate industry but I read something recently suggesting he was potentI ally on the radar for a assistant coach gig somewhere.

GongPanther

Referee
Of course it is:

The fire in the belly I'm sure is being
'nicely stoked' as the media write furiously.
Just before Penrith play the Sharks in their seasons clash, there is Rothfield on NRL 360 in the week leading up to the game, with a "I'm "hearing" that Cleary and his dad, and also To'o and Crichton and JFH, and API, and Yeo, and Luai are considering offers from the new Dolphins franchise...you can read all about it in tomorrow's Daily Tele just before you use it as toilet paper"

Kilkenny

Coach
Best heavyweight title fight in my lifetime (35 years). Was f**king incredible
Are you giving your age away here.

Are you aged 35 now?

I remember being in high school, Kingswood High School, where we were let out of class to listen on the radio to one of the Ali mega fights, can’t remember whether it was the thriller in Manila versus Smokin Joe Frazier or the fight versus George Foreman in Zaire. I think it was the fight in the Phillipines versus Frazier given the time difference.

I agree the Wilder v Fury version three was some fight, all three were epics.

BX Tom mentioned the Buster Douglas v Mike Tyson fight which was amazing, but probably more so due to the fact Buster Douglas was the biggest longshot of all time. It was a great fight as well.

The_Frog

First Grade
I remember being in high school, Kingswood High School, where we were let out of class to listen on the radio to one of the Ali mega fights, can’t remember whether it was the thriller in Manila versus Smokin Joe Frazier or the fight versus George Foreman in Zaire. I think it was the fight in the Phillipines versus Frazier given the time difference.

BX Tom mentioned the Buster Douglas v Mike Tyson fight which was amazing, but probably more so due to the fact Buster Douglas was the biggest longshot of all time. It was a great fight as well.
I watched the last few rounds of the Thriller in Manila from the upstairs lunchroom of the old CBC Bank opposite the park in the middle of Penrith, where I worked at the time. It was my lunch hour, the fight must have started around 10am local time, obviously to catch the US prime time audience. I've also been to the place this fight took place, in Cubao, Quezon City.

Bob

Juniors
Garth has been back in Newcastle in the Real EsTate industry but I read something recently suggesting he was potentI ally on the radar for a assistant coach gig somewhere.
In charge of pathways for Newcastle juniors, a perfect role for him

Bob

Juniors

Are you aged 35 now?

I remember the Ali v Frazier in Manila, I went to Rooty Hill High school, I remember it was summer and swimming was my summer sport, went to Blacktown pool but on the way was a pool hall, around 30 of us stopped at the pool hall to watch as pool hall had tv, we were joined by a couple of teachers to watch the fight as well

Smug Panther

First Grade

Are you aged 35 now?

Yeah 35, still a pup compared to you or @soc123_au the old merkin.
I'm a pretty big boxing fan with Joe Frazier being my favourite heavyweight. I don't dislike Ali but Joe was a much better man, sucks he didn't win that 3rd fight.

Latest posts