What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Crashtest

Juniors
Laurie has looked poor on the wing and its hurting pantherball - he's either back to 14 or he's playing Cup

Laurie did a great job filling in at 1 for Edwards, but he shouldn't be our 14. When Nathan returns he will be carrying a bung shoulder, so our 14 needs to be able to cover 7, as well as play minutes at 9.

So even though he didn't play well yesterday, I would still keep Toelau at 14 over the next 2 weeks, to build on his confidence and FG experience before week 1 of the finals.

Fangs

Coach
JWH is looking at 3 weeks. So he won't play week one of the finals.

Advantage or disadvantage?

The guy is a walking infringement. It's almost a good thing you have that guy ready to implode. Wouldn't take much from our forwards to make him do something stupid on field.

On the other hand it means Leniu is a likely started. That works away from his impact from the bench.

The Realist

Juniors
JWH is looking at 3 weeks. So he won't play week one of the finals.

Advantage or disadvantage?

The guy is a walking infringement. It's almost a good thing you have that guy ready to implode. Wouldn't take much from our forwards to make him do something stupid on field.

On the other hand it means Leniu is a likely started. That works away from his impact from the bench.

I honestly think we are more likely to play Melbourne, or #8, then we are to play the Roosters.

Fangs

Coach
I honestly think we are more likely to play Melbourne, or #8, then we are to play the Roosters.

It's hard to know.

All clubs are playing the game here. Normally you start resting players but who can afford to?

Even Melbourne with 1st locked up have an issue. They need careful planning because it's a terrible fortnight for them. They are running into two sides who want to win. I think they will stagger the resting over two weeks but Munster would prefer to be playing I'm sure.

Sime_11

Juniors
Last thing we want is to play #8, could get knocked out 1st game, depending on who rocks up, and who's adjudicating
hopefully good Manly rocks up and upsets Canterbury and we get the job done against Souths

then rest those who need it next week - Storm or Chooks away doesnt fear me as long as its week 1 with the 2nd chance.

just have to win this week for starters - need to get Penrith fans into a frenzy on Friday night and get very vocal

Whino

Bench

NRL 2024 Hall of Fame: Panthers demand answers over Royce Simmons, Greg Alexander snubs​

With just two inductees, Penrith boss Brian Fletcher has questioned whether Greg Alexander and Royce Simmons’ absence from the NRL Hall of Fame is an oversight.

Penrith are demanding to know why club legends Greg Alexander and Royce Simmons have not been included in the NRL’s Hall of Fame.

“It doesn’t make sense – it must be an oversight,” said Panthers Group CEO Brian Fletcher.
Only two Panthers players — Brad Fittler and Petero Civoniceva — are in the Hall of Fame and both played more games at other clubs.
Eleven players were added to rugby league’s Hall of Fame last week – Lionel Morgan, Les Boyd, Ben Elias, Steve Renouf, Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Benji Marshall, Cooper Cronk, Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess.
While Fletcher didn’t cast doubts over the merits of this year’s inductees, he remains stunned that Alexander and Simmons have been consistently overlooked.
Alexander was among the finest halfbacks of the modern era, playing 228 games for Penrith, captaining the 1991 side to the club’s first premiership while representing Australia in six Tests and playing six Origin games for NSW. He also scored 101 first grade tries for Penrith.

Simmons is a rugby league legend at Penrith having played 237 first grade matches for the Panthers, 10 Tests for Australia and 10 matches for the Blues.
“It doesn’t make sense when you look at the list of who is in there,” said Fletcher.
“I’m not saying any of the inductees shouldn’t be there but how come Royce and Greg Alexander haven’t also been added?
“When it was broadcast the other night, we had that many fans and local sponsors asking why those two players weren’t in the Hall of Fame.
“All those inducted deserve to be there but you’d have to think that Royce and Greg would be a ‘must’ for that list.
“I think it’s more or less been an oversight.
“You get a chap like Royce and what he’s done off the field by raising money for Alzheimer’s. He is still doing it.
“He’s played Tests, played State of Origin.
“And ‘Brandy’ (Alexander) is probably one of the greatest footballers of all time. You’d have to say Royce and Greg are as good as those on the list.”
Fittler is a Panthers’ Hall of Famer although he played nearly 100 more games for the Roosters than Penrith. Prop Civoniceva played 74 games for the Panthers but is better known as a Bronco.

NRL 2024 Hall of Fame: Panthers demand answers over Royce Simmons, Greg Alexander snubs​

With just two inductees, Penrith boss Brian Fletcher has questioned whether Greg Alexander and Royce Simmons’ absence from the NRL Hall of Fame is an oversight.

Penrith are demanding to know why club legends Greg Alexander and Royce Simmons have not been included in the NRL’s Hall of Fame.

“It doesn’t make sense – it must be an oversight,” said Panthers Group CEO Brian Fletcher.
Only two Panthers players — Brad Fittler and Petero Civoniceva — are in the Hall of Fame and both played more games at other clubs.
Eleven players were added to rugby league’s Hall of Fame last week – Lionel Morgan, Les Boyd, Ben Elias, Steve Renouf, Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Benji Marshall, Cooper Cronk, Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess.
While Fletcher didn’t cast doubts over the merits of this year’s inductees, he remains stunned that Alexander and Simmons have been consistently overlooked.
Alexander was among the finest halfbacks of the modern era, playing 228 games for Penrith, captaining the 1991 side to the club’s first premiership while representing Australia in six Tests and playing six Origin games for NSW. He also scored 101 first grade tries for Penrith.

Simmons is a rugby league legend at Penrith having played 237 first grade matches for the Panthers, 10 Tests for Australia and 10 matches for the Blues.
“It doesn’t make sense when you look at the list of who is in there,” said Fletcher.
“I’m not saying any of the inductees shouldn’t be there but how come Royce and Greg Alexander haven’t also been added?
“When it was broadcast the other night, we had that many fans and local sponsors asking why those two players weren’t in the Hall of Fame.
“All those inducted deserve to be there but you’d have to think that Royce and Greg would be a ‘must’ for that list.
“You get a chap like Royce and what he’s done off the field by raising money for Alzheimer’s. He is still doing it.
“And ‘Brandy’ (Alexander) is probably one of the greatest footballers of all time. You’d have to say Royce and Greg are as good as those on the list.”
Fittler is a Panthers’ Hall of Famer although he played nearly 100 more games for the Roosters than Penrith. Prop Civoniceva played 74 games for the Panthers but is better known as a Bronco.

So typical, I'll never expect anything from the Game... Just look at Ivan Cleary's treatment, never in discussion with the other 2 mob and has not even won Coach of the year.

WestyLife

First Grade

I can see an argument for both. Brandy had a pretty poor record for nsw and his career decline post Ben Alexander's death really don't help his case even though he was so very naturally talented.

The yak

Juniors

Both should be in there.

Anyone that saw Brandy prior 92 saw something special.

If Benny Elias is good enough for The Hall of Fame. Royce should be too. They were different styles of players, but there was very little between the pair in the 80's as they fought over rep jumpers. Royce was more clever than people gave him credit for.
I hope when common sense prevails Royce is still well enough to enjoy the honour.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Just had a look at the Rooster Stats
r
Bottom 9 Clubs 12 wins no loses For 452 against 216

Current top 8 clubs 3 wins 7 loses for 238 against 205; Of those 3 wins Bulldogs Dragons and Sea Eagles so NO wins against top 4 teams VERY interesting!!!

r

Current top 8 clubs 3 wins 7 loses for 238 against 205; Of those 3 wins Bulldogs Dragons and Sea Eagles so NO wins against top 4 teams VERY interesting!!!
Yep, I heard this on SEN. I really think we can still work this, but no means we are favourites, which can be good for us.

Let's Go!!

MugaB

Coach
r

Just skating downhill

Devilous

Juniors
The roosters problems against top sides comes down to a couple of things.

They have no long kicking game at all, Keary and Walker can barely kick the ball 40m so if any team keeps them in their half they struggle to get out.

This also combines with a lack of metres from their backs compared to Penrith/Melbourne which means they can struggle if the opposition doesn't give them field position through errors or penalties.

Essentially they are good enough to score a ton of points if you give them enough opportunities but if you defend well, keep the errors to a minimum they really struggle in a grind.

I would personally enjoy playing them in the finals at Allianz because the refs will stop blowing penalities and we are generally a high completion team, the rooster's kryptonite.

Latest posts