What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Roosters chatter

Valheru

Coach
Stadia is an investment which will continue to bring more money in over the years for things like drug programs.

Keeping in mind the stadium isn't just for us, it is to be used year round for Sydney FC, the waratahs as well as others like the wallabies, Socceroos, concerts and other ad hoc events.

The redeveloped Adelaide oval is a perfect example of what a world class stadium a stone's throw from the main CBD can do for the city economy.

Stadia is an investment which will continue to bring more money in over the years for things like drug programs.

Keeping in mind the stadium isn't just for us, it is to be used year round for Sydney FC, the waratahs as well as others like the wallabies, Socceroos, concerts and other ad hoc events.

The redeveloped Adelaide oval is a perfect example of what a world class stadium a stone's throw from the main CBD can do for the city economy.

But we have 2 other big stadiums.

They could have used the space for housing commission or more park space. Market gardens, big waterpark for kids, small animal petting zoo. Maybe all these things.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
But we have 2 other big stadiums.

They could have used the space for housing commission or more park space. Market gardens, big waterpark for kids, small animal petting zoo. Maybe all these things.

Neither of which are in the city. We need a world class rectabgular stadium in or close to the CBD.

It will get plenty of use and business

Neither of which are in the city. We need a world class rectabgular stadium in or close to the CBD.

It will get plenty of use and business

We have two world class stadiums sitting around idle and empty most of the time.

I think it would have been better for the public for the state to just have scrapped it and opened the area up to more people.

Watching paint dry is an key calandra event in Adelaide.

Some of the money could have been used to upgrade Brooke and Leichhardt.

Valheru

Coach
We have two world class stadiums sitting around idle and empty most of the time.

I think it would have been better for the public for the state to just have scrapped it and opened the area up to more people.

Watching paint dry is an key calandra event in Adelaide.

Some of the money could have been used to upgrade Brooke and Leichhardt.

Bankwest is used year round and the equivalent in the West of the new SFS.

Homebush is designed to be the marquee ala Wembley for the biggest events.

Leichardt is a hole and used 4 times a year for professional sport and brookvale not much better.

Homebush is used for small crowds all the time.

BankWest is empty most of the time.

Leichhardt and Brookvale would be fantastic venues with just some of the money wasted on the sfs.

Redevelopment of the sfs is very unpopular.

There are other venues close by.

For Sydney to remain a global city, we need to be competitive in all aspects, including sporting events. Melbourne and most of the other Australian capital cities have it all over us in this regard at the moment; that needs to change. I understand about the frustration with spending the big money, but I think it should be viewed as a long term investment for the future, not just a short term fix.

The NRL needs to strike a balance at having games at large as well as suburban grounds. I get and appreciate that. I still think having a rectangular ground near the CBD is a very important and worthwhile step to take.

For Sydney to remain a global city, we need to be competitive in all aspects, including sporting events. Melbourne and most of the other Australian capital cities have it all over us in this regard at the moment; that needs to change. I understand about the frustration with spending the big money, but I think it should be viewed as a long term investment for the future, not just a short term fix.

The NRL needs to strike a balance at having games at large as well as suburban grounds. I get and appreciate that. I still think having a rectangular ground near the CBD is a very important and worthwhile step to take.

I can understand the nrl furthering it’s interests and definitely the roosters too but I think public land use is not very well thought out.

We could do a lot more with schools for example, public and private and their resources. Everybody seems to want to lock people out of things.

The gated community approach to public resources is unsustainable.

Valheru

Coach
Homebush is used for small crowds all the time.

BankWest is empty most of the time.

Leichhardt and Brookvale would be fantastic venues with just some of the money wasted on the sfs.

Redevelopment of the sfs is very unpopular.

There are other venues close by.

I am referring to the new redeveloped Homebush. It may continue to be used for small draw events but that is not its intent.

Bankwest is used year round, that is the point I am making and the SFS will be the same.

Leichardt and Brookvale are boutique rugby league venues with no other prospective tenants, no government will put money in to that.

The redevelopment was partly due to WHS compliance issues I believe. It might not be ideal, but it is going to happen now, one way or the other. I just hope it remains a fortress for us, with a better match day experience to boot.

Mr Spock!

Referee
As a Rabbitohs fan for nearly 50 years, I never got the hatred of Easts...
Hating the Roosters is ludicrous, says Rabbitohs lifer Frank Cookson
He's the president of Mascot Juniors, the famous Rabbitohs feeder club bang in the middle of South Sydney. Over the years he's heard all the guff from "know-it-alls" about brown paper bags, and Uncle Nick and all the "hate" for the neighbours to the east. And one day he called it out, and asked a one word question: Why? There were no good answers, writes Frank Cookson.

Frank Cookson
Jul 06
clapping.svg
1 655
RUGBY LEAGUE
Frank Cookson
Jul 06 2020

So I wrote this column last Saturday morning but thought it sounded a bit corny so it wasn’t posted. Subsequent and not unusual comments I heard this week make me happy I didn’t delete it.

They came from three people I know and were pretty much word-for-word: “I hate the Roosters.”

This is nothing I haven’t heard thousands of times before and let pass.

But this time, with the column idle and in the back of my mind, I asked a one word question: Why?

One answer was: “I just hate them, always have.” Again I asked: why? Answer: “I just do.”

Number two, same question: why do you hate them?

Answer: “They are from over there and are uppity, the latte set.”

From the third person there was no explanation at all. Maybe he’ll have thought of an answer by the time this column goes live.

Regardless, I don’t buy this purported “hate” or whatever confected rubbish some would-be "uncompromising", supposed rugby league supporters go on with.

683b2fbab8bd9e431d9b7e61ce9688ec
He loves to beat them. But hate the Roosters? Not a bit of it. Mascot President Frank Cookson greatly admires the Roosters.

Being around a long time, and a Souths supporter from day one, it certainly isn’t part of my heritage, upbringing or mindset. Indeed I admire the way the Roosters run their club on and off the field. It's totally professional.

I have heard all the know-alls and their stories about “Uncle Nick” and his brown paper bags. It's laughable. But if it gives the haters something to stew upon between games and throughout the off season, so be it.

Maybe reading the Book of Feuds adds fuel to the fire for some Souths supporters. But only having access to the snippets reported in newspapers, I couldn’t tell you.

I’ve heard it said, jokingly, that “The Book” could be classified as an R-rated version of Aesop’s Fables - again I wouldn’t know. I think the way it’s promoted is childish.

news_20080313_2.jpg
The promotion of South Sydney's Book of Feuds is "childish" according to Mascot President Frank Cookson.

In the early 2000s (sounds a long time ago!) I did a bit of a “turn” for the Roosters, and Nick Politis had the then-CEO make personal contact to thank me.

Wasn’t necessary for him to do so but it was appreciated and of course remembered. Elsewhere my favour may have been passed over.

Other stories should shed a different light on the Roosters. One such story is this:

A few years ago, one of Mascot’s young guys, aged 18, was graded and about to embark on a lifetime dream to play for Souths when he was overcome by what was thought to be a sore throat.

As a precaution the doctor sent him for tests and the diagnosis came back: Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

The usual forms of cancer treatment followed, all to no avail, so his multitude of friends, aided by our club, held a benefit to raise funds for the young man to venture overseas for treatment.

The function was organised and the support of NRL clubs was sought. Most came to the party with signed jerseys and so forth to be raffled.

With the Roosters it was different.

I should clarify the young guy’s older brother was either playing in France or for the Chooks’ feeder club Newtown at the time, I can’t remember which. But he had played an NRL game for the Roosters.

Subsequently I received a telephone call from the Roosters’ board secretary advising that Nick had said: "We are going to go all out supporting this cause". I was asked what we wanted. During the conversation the lady, whose name eludes me, suggested we leave it in her hands to rustle up some prizes, which was agreed to.

20181114_politis.jpg
"He went all out for us in a time of great need," says Mascot President Frank Cookson of Nick Politis.

The next telephone call from her detailed most of what the donation would include:

There were signed Roosters jerseys, along with training gear, playing gear, match-day dress gear.

There was an all-expenses paid trip for two to Bali (courtesy of the players). There was a fully catered box at the Golden Slipper at Rosehill. There was a fully-catered box at the NRL grand final.

That was before several other extras, courtesy of Roosters sponsors, and the fact they purchased admission tickets to the function.

The club, with Nick Politis driving it, did what they could and more.

So, maybe some of these types who relentlessly bag them should think on this the next time they're "hating" the Roosters.

They should also think on this: there are two sides of a football club, business and benevolence.

And the Roosters rate highly in both.

Frank Cookson

Copyright © 2020 Today’s Tale

JB04

Juniors
Hey guys, quick question. Our club signed a player of yours over the weekend - Asu Kepaoa, from your opinion(s), do you rate him and how do you think he’d look in first grade? Not trying to stir anything, just purely wondering.

Hey guys, quick question. Our club signed a player of yours over the weekend - Asu Kepaoa, from your opinion(s), do you rate him and how do you think he’d look in first grade? Not trying to stir anything, just purely wondering.
Sorry, but I don't know anything about him. Perhaps someone else knows something?

Thank you for that Captain. Yes, I was relieved when I had heard that he came out and said that. I fully concur. TPJ is not the right cultural fit for our grand club. He has got too much "form" and a chequered past for my liking. Last I heard, the Warriors, Bulldogs and Storm are possibly in the mix for him.

Latest posts