What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General weights discussion thread

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I see a lot of guys with those in the gym, the high tops though....wouldn't that impede on ankle flexibility?
As for barefoot, I think it's the same as the barefoot running thing, it works for people that have developed arches...but it doesn't really address flat feet and you could say well...doing it would be developing an arch....but the exercise load and mechanics are probably a bit intense.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Yeah I see a lot of guys with those in the gym, the high tops though....wouldn't that impede on ankle flexibility?
As for barefoot, I think it's the same as the barefoot running thing, it works for people that have developed arches...but it doesn't really address flat feet and you could say well...doing it would be developing an arch....but the exercise load and mechanics are probably a bit intense.
The ones in the study weren't high tops.

I think you're right, there wouldn't be a one way that's best for all, everyone seems to have different postural abnormalities and this is going to have a big impact on how they run or lift.

Personally, I find I do better with chucks than weight lifting shoes or bare foot.

abpanther

Staff member
Hey peeps,

So I wanna start doing clean and press, it's probably the only core compound exercise that I don't do.

I've read people say that you shouldn't do it without professional training, just wanted to know what everyone thinks? I've taught myself (with plenty of reading and instructional videos) to squat and deadlift over the past 2 years, I figure it would be a similar process learning the clean and press.

Doesn't seem overly difficult, this video seems to sum it up pretty well - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/clean-and-press

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

RHCP

Bench
You probably couldn't teach yourself to do it at a competition level, but to perform it safely and effectively isn't as hard as it's made out to be.

Follow the progression in these videos and it should be pretty easy for you. There's also a snatch series if you're interested in that, but the snatch is a much harder movement to self teach imo.

[youtube]TL2SKkIfF4A7M[/youtube]
[youtube]AaSNARQPfE[/youtube]
[youtube]WHuiw4GvB0g[/youtube]

Not sure why the first two parts won't embed, but they're on the same channel as Part 3.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Disagree with RCHP. Doing the progressions will help but when you got to do it quickly in one go getting right without getting feedback is hard. Unless you're happy to use an unloaded bar for weeks. I've seen people dotted their shoulders because they thought they had the technique down pact and were able to increase the weight they were using.

I was coached, and it took me a good two months just to clean 50kg safely.

RHCP

Bench
I wasn't coached and didn't find it very difficult to learn the clean.

I don't think there's anything special about me that means I could do it and others can't. O lifting coaches enjoy perpetuating the myth that the lifts are some kind of mysterious entity only they know the secret too so they can make more $$$. Strength coaches never seem to fret about getting athletes to use a broomstick for months to do a power clean, because it's just another tool in the tool box for them, not their meal ticket.

After a while of not performing any O lifts I started again 3 or 4 weeks ago. I worked up to a 90kg (a bit under bw atm) equal PR clean today without much strain, probably had another 5kg in me. Never had any semblance of injury doing them either. Guess it's only a matter of time before I dislocate my shoulders and tear both ACLs because I didn't start with the broomstick according to some of the coaches out there.

Now the snatch, f**k that. That shit is hard. lol.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Disagree with RCHP. Doing the progressions will help but when you got to do it quickly in one go getting right without getting feedback is hard. Unless you're happy to use an unloaded bar for weeks. I've seen people dotted their shoulders because they thought they had the technique down pact and were able to increase the weight they were using.

I was coached, and it took me a good two months just to clean 50kg safely.

I just don't see what's so complicated about it?

I understand the progressions, good back arch to start, bend the knees, keep the bar close on the way up, etc. What makes it so much harder to self learn over the squat or deadlift? Seems like very similar concepts

Cliffhanger

Coach
I bet if I saw your technique RCHP I could tear it to shreds.

There's so many people who think they're doing it right. A lot of them don't even brush., not saying everyone who doesn't do them properly will wind up with an injury, just saying getting the right person to take you through them is going to ensure you've learned it properly and are getting corrected on the things you might be doing wrong.

Its a lot more difficult than a squat and I can almost guarantee your squat isn't perfect.

RHCP

Bench
I bet you could as well. I didn't claim perfection. I taught myself to clean safely and effectively. If you never intend to compete, would you disagree that is all that matters?

You could probably tear up my form on everything. My knees have a tendency to shoot in when the weight gets heavy on my squats, when I jerk I often don't split my feet enough (which is weird, because jerks used to be so natural for me), I keep f**king up my wrist alignment when I bench and am not sure why.

I doubt what you do would be perfect by the book either, it's just the nature of the beast. Even the strongest in the world have to constantly work on their technique.

Like I said, if you want to compete you'll probably need a coach. Otherwise, you can teach yourself just fine. Yes O lifts are somewhat complicated, but the clean especially is not some kind of complex ball of mystery that you can't unlock yourself.

Cliffhanger

Coach
You can tear to shreds most people's technique, even mine has problems, my cleans are pretty good though. If your knees cave in you should do a lighter weight, or try eccentric training to improve stabilsers.

I am not saying mine is perfect, my point if you can benefit from the feedback. It's always good to get feedback from a professional or even just film yourself and see where your lacking.

There's things you just don't pick up that you're doing wrong by feel.

The other thing I find is that a lot of people don't have the flexibility in their wrists to even rest the bar properly when doing a clean. Your elbows should be facing the ceiling when you catch the weight.

RHCP

Bench
You can tear to shreds most people's technique, even mine has problems, my cleans are pretty good though. If your knees cave in you should do a lighter weight, or try eccentric training to improve stabilsers.

I am not saying mine is perfect, my point if you can benefit from the feedback. It's always good to get feedback from a professional or even just film yourself and see where your lacking.

There's things you just don't pick up that you're doing wrong by feel.

The other thing I find is that a lot of people don't have the flexibility in their wrists to even rest the bar properly when doing a clean. Your elbows should be facing the ceiling when you catch the weight.
I don't think I've ever missed a lift because of it, just something that happens every now and then. Can usually just re-adjust or it's so late I can just grind through it. Will probably fiddle around with feet position/angle if it ever becomes a big issue as far as holding me back/injurious. It's weird, keeping my 'knees out' when I front squat actually slows me down. But that's neither here nor there.

Yeah definitely, made worse if there's poor T-spine mobility as well.

Either way, I'd still advise abpanther to give it a try coachless. Watch lots of videos and read lots of articles, if you can do it yourself it saves plenty of unnecessary cash and it's far from impossible.

urban eel

Juniors
decided to dust of the rickety bench in the garage and stop wasting hours on-line each night
i am using Jefit at the moment for tracking and routines
but wanted to know of a basic reference site to check things like form.
any one know of anything?

abpanther

Staff member
So how concerned should I be that with the majority of exercises that I do every week, I haven't really progressed in weight for 2-3 months?

I was doing a stronglifts program prior to this for around 18 months with less reps and more weight but changed it up so I'm now going lighter, 3 days a week, 1 hour weights session with 1-1.5min rest between sets, before I was having like 3-4 min rest.

I'm definitely pushing hard and going to failure on my last set of each exercise, and I am going up slightly in my big compound lifts (squats and deadlifts), but with stuff like pull ups I'm doing the same number that I was doing 2 months ago.

I must say that I have 3 little kids at home and am definitely not getting a whole lot of sleep, but I continue to train because I want to. Not sure if that might also be a factor

So, should I be concerned about this or is it not a big deal provided I'm pushing hard, sweating and getting a good workout?

shaggs

Coach
Ab, have a look at your food. You may have gotten to the point where your calorie intact is exhausted by the time you lift and therefore the weights can't go up.
I would increase by 200 cals a week until you start to lift heavier.

In the meantime I would also change your lifts. For example, my bench press doesn't go up at all if I do it every week. I plateau quickly, both in reps and weight. What I find works is to do weighted dips 4-5x6, and then incline barbell bench. 3 or 4 x10-12.
When I do this 2 weeks out if every 3 I find the nxt bench session I lift heavier and more reps.

I also don't do dead lifts every week. Do other exercises that use the same muscles and then try again. For the last six months I have almost added 10kg a month. For 4-5 reps.

Squats would work the same but I like the whole body workout that it gives and the sweat drips from the nose.

Thomas

First Grade
Yeah. I'd say food. I'm currently lifting on a deficit and it sucks arse. My lifts haven't stalled but I'm only making tiny gains. Still, I'm losing fat which is the goal.

I can't wait to get to my goal weight before doing a small bulk (200-300 cals over my TDEE) and hopefully my gains will get better.