What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

Johns Magic

Referee
williams should be made pay for it if his intentions weren't honorable from the start. Theres no way you keep a destabilising figure lke that in your playing group with everyone knowing what he was up to

Ah so this is about making his pregnant missus pay because of this convenient rumour that he had asked about beach clubs in the off-season. Got it.

betcats

Referee
No matter how many times shit Jourmos like James Hooper get called out as liars some people still treat their rumours as gospel. Williams wont be made to pay for anything. Worst case scenario for him is he gets released and that is it, the players union will provide lawyers etc so a court case if it that goes that far wont cost him. Best case he gets compensation and a release. The raiders have absolutely cut of their nose to spite their face here. Blowing this up like they have has just added another big shit pile to their season. They could have just granted him the release and had a happy transition for everyone and not been dealing with all this fallout.

What is the benefit for the raiders for doing it like this? They get to sign a rental for a few months like Chad Townsend? There has been absolutely no benefit to the raiders besides maybe massaging Rickys inflated ego. Lets not forget this is the coach who a whole playing group in a room and put half their names on a projector and said you're all gone. He is one of the worst motivators and man managers when things aren't going smoothly, he has no answers he never has. His coaching career has been a few good year s then shit every time except Parra where it was just one year of shit.

Who gives a f**k? Why are they related?
hahaha

poor little george
i have mental health issues
but secretly i just want out of my contract with the raiders so I can play somewhere else
and im fine ;)
Oh yeah & i'll use my pregnant missus as an excuse too.

he got caught out
he got what he deserved.

No matter how many times shit Jourmos like James Hooper get called out as liars some people still treat their rumours as gospel. Williams wont be made to pay for anything. Worst case scenario for him is he gets released and that is it, the players union will provide lawyers etc so a court case if it that goes that far wont cost him. Best case he gets compensation and a release. The raiders have absolutely cut of their nose to spite their face here. Blowing this up like they have has just added another big shit pile to their season. They could have just granted him the release and had a happy transition for everyone and not been dealing with all this fallout.

What is the benefit for the raiders for doing it like this? They get to sign a rental for a few months like Chad Townsend? There has been absolutely no benefit to the raiders besides maybe massaging Rickys inflated ego. Lets not forget this is the coach who a whole playing group in a room and put half their names on a projector and said you're all gone. He is one of the worst motivators and man managers when things aren't going smoothly, he has no answers he never has. His coaching career has been a few good year s then shit every time except Parra where it was just one year of shit.

granting a lying little dishonorable shit a release would have made a rod for their backs for years
nuh
he needed to go & be made an example of too.

Johns Magic

Referee
hahaha

poor little george
i have mental health issues
but secretly i just want out of my contract with the raiders so I can play somewhere else
and im fine ;)
Oh yeah & i'll use my pregnant missus as an excuse too.

he got caught out
he got what he deserved.

No. They are completely different issues. A “stiff shit” revenge attitude towards something like this is not really acceptable.

He looked at his options in the NRL when he realised Canberra is a shithole, got nothing back, stayed put with no complaints. I think you’ll find plenty of NRL players look at their options, all the time. Danny Weidler and Paul Kent live off that shit and he didn’t even make it to their radar.

Pregnancy changed the game and fair enough. There is no longer freedom of travel like there was when they signed that contract, so to say they should have expected it isn’t true.

Saying I can stick out the rest of this season before the kid arrives but then want to break the last year is fair. Instead the Raiders said no you are staying the full-term, which causes him serious issues. When he’s made a point of that they have pulled the rug completely out of spite.

I’m betting if the Raiders had said “ok George we get it, you’re having a kid and your wife needs family support. Give us your best for the rest of 2021 then you can go back to England at the end of the year”, like they should have. There are no mental-health days and the Raiders get plenty of time to plan for 2022.

betcats

Referee
granting a lying little dishonorable shit a release would have made a rod for their backs for years
nuh

What f**king rubbish, the only example they have made is how not to handle a release request. You think this will stop the next guy from asking for a release? please that is ridiculous. This will lead to more players requesting releases not less.

The dishonorable ones are the raiders who have been undermining their own players by leaking inside info to scum like Hooper for years now.

No. They are completely different issues. A “stiff shit” revenge attitude towards something like this is not really acceptable.

He looked at his options in the NRL when he realised Canberra is a shithole, got nothing back, stayed put with no complaints. I think you’ll find plenty of NRL players look at their options, all the time. Danny Weidler and Paul Kent live off that shit and he didn’t even make it to their radar.

Pregnancy changed the game and fair enough. There is no longer freedom of travel like there was when they signed that contract, so to say they should have expected it isn’t true.

Saying I can stick out the rest of this season before the kid arrives but then want to break the last year is fair. Instead the Raiders said no you are staying the full-term, which causes him serious issues. When he’s made a point of that they have pulled the rug completely out of spite.

I’m betting if the Raiders had said “ok George we get it, you’re having a kid and your wife needs family support. Give us your best for the rest of 2021 then you can go back to England at the end of the year”, like they should have. There are no mental-health days and the Raiders get plenty of time to plan for 2022.
they are intrinsically linked , one is a player acting honorably & asking for a release due to mental health issues. The Raiders would have granted the release on his terms theres little doubt because he was told the club would work with him on this issue.

the other is a player acting like a slimebag using mental health as an excuse to break his contract.
you want out george ?
there ya go , you're gone. F off & good riddance & this suggestion that the Raiders should have ignored his behind the scenes activities & played his game is ludicrous. Everyone knew what his go was & the club & its management would have looked like far bigger fools if they had caved in to his little caper. The Raiders did what they had to do.

You're either homesick or you're not. Being homesick at the end of the season coincidentally when a big fat contract is waiting for you seems a little to coincidental.

Canberra called Williams bluff. Good on them.
This

I remember saying to a work colleague down here when it all kicked off
mental health but wants to keep banking the clubs money for the rest of the season

WTF ??

What f**king rubbish, the only example they have made is how not to handle a release request. You think this will stop the next guy from asking for a release? please that is ridiculous. This will lead to more players requesting releases not less.

The dishonorable ones are the raiders who have been undermining their own players by leaking inside info to scum like Hooper for years now.

what complete & utter snot

they handled it as they should have under the true circumstances
any player wants to be a snake behind the clubs back & use mental health as an excuse to break a contract with them

this is what you'll get

as for the media
george went to social media first to undermine the club
he made the fight public

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
You're either homesick or you're not. Being homesick at the end of the season coincidentally when a big fat contract is waiting for you seems a little to coincidental.

Canberra called Williams bluff. Good on them.

He’s not going home because he’s homesick right now though. He’s going home at the end of the season because his wife is having a kid around then. That is when home sickness will become the serious issue.

nuh

Is this 1979? The idea that you’ve got to show all your other (and future) staff that you’ll always stand firm, ‘pour encourager les autres’ and all that macho crap, is nuts. Such old school thinking. Canberra’s issue isn’t deterring other current players from looking for some flexibility in future; it’s being able to attract millennials to the club going forwards, now they can very publicly see they’ve got the emotional intelligence of a crocodile after 3 months without food

Stuff goes randomly off in employees lives; you can’t treat them like chattel or assets - you need to stick to some healthy human values and roll with it. I bet you a $grand the first time Williams asked for some contract slack he didn’t really want to, he just knew that on this one occasion he had to suck it up and do the right thing by his missus

Of course, a Sticky-led Canberra looked at it through the eyes of Paul Hogan and thought he was being a f**king weak man

shear_joy9

Coach
He’s not going home because he’s homesick right now though. He’s going home at the end of the season because his wife is having a kid around then. That is when home sickness will become the serious issue.

he first asked for a release before his missus was pregnant... it's just a convenient excuse.

Last edited:
Is this 1979? The idea that you’ve got to show all your other (and future) staff that you’ll always stand firm, ‘pour encourager les autres’ and all that macho crap, is nuts. Such old school thinking. Canberra’s issue isn’t deterring other current players from looking for some flexibility in future; it’s being able to attract millennials to the club going forwards, now they can very publicly see they’ve got the emotional intelligence of a crocodile after 3 months without food

Stuff goes randomly off in employees lives; you can’t treat them like chattel or assets - you need to stick to some healthy human values and roll with it. I bet you a $grand the first time Williams asked for some contract slack he didn’t really want to, he just knew that on this one occasion he had to suck it up and do the right thing by his missus

Of course, a Sticky-led Canberra looked at it through the eyes of Paul Hogan and thought he was being a f**king weak man

you think there should be no honour & integrity in dealings these days & if a millennial wants a beach side address & will lie about mental health issues to achieve it

thats all part of modern life ?

jesus H

Johns Magic

Referee
he first asked for a release before his missus was pregnant... it's just convenient excuse.

Firstly, where has that been stated?

Secondly, sounds to me like if that’s the case he got told no and copped it on the chin at the time. Maybe he wanted to be elsewhere but he kept his head down knowing he had a contract.

You can’t deny that pregnancy in this border closure world is a very valid reason that has significantly upped the stakes to want to go home a year early. Calling it a convenient excuse is a total joke and you know it.

I strongly suspect the whole mental well-being thing is having to console his miserable wife every night and tell her she can’t see her family when having her first kid because the Canberra Raiders have nailed her to Belconnen. A contract that was signed when the world was very different yet the Raiders are taking it to the letter of the law out of spite.

Firstly, where has that been stated?

Secondly, sounds to me like if that’s the case he got told no and copped it on the chin at the time. Maybe he wanted to be elsewhere but he kept his head down knowing he had a contract.

You can’t deny that pregnancy in this border closure world is a very valid reason that has significantly upped the stakes to want to go home a year early. Calling it a convenient excuse is a total joke and you know it.

I strongly suspect the whole mental well-being thing is having to console his miserable wife every night and tell her she can’t see her family when having her first kid because the Canberra Raiders have nailed her to Belconnen. A contract that was signed when the world was very different yet the Raiders are taking it to the letter of the law out of spite.

oh FFS
hes a snake ...
the mental well being issue is being caught telling porkies