1. Round 6 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 6 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

It's time for the NRL to take concussion more seriously. A look at recent events and what rules need changing. We talk to Adam O'Brien on how Newcastle plan to respond after last week's big loss to the Titans, and there's a special tribute to retiring North Queensland half Michael Morgan. As always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 6 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

GF Panthers vs Storm

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Pugzley, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

I think you just described his brother Matt, who was a gun centre. I'd be stoked if May was Matt, alas May is definitely NOT Panthers' version of Matt Gidley.

Kurt was the guy who could never quite hold a regular spine position but played Origin (& prob Australia too) due to his "versatility" - a real jack of all trades but master of none (deficiencies in all) player.

blue bags likes this.
  2. forby

forby Juniors

The first half completely cruelled the game and the Panthers. Not only did Penrith have a terrible half, Sutton and the bunker had their worst performance of the year. Typical that they coincided on the last game of the year.
    I am still proud of the team and their efforts for the year. Bring on next year!

3. lsta5838

lsta5838 Juniors

A restless night. Still proud of the season, but really thought after our scare against roosters and rabbits, we would have played the game we needed to against storm. I.e. dominate ruck and no dropped ball. Didn't happen and some blatant no calls by the ref didn't help, but so excited for the future. Can't wait for 2021 and just hope we can keep our momentum and teamwork up

blue bags likes this.
  4. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

Refs were bad, we were far worse. Totally shat the bed. Ivan is a chump picking that bench

Ceprahs, blue bags and WestyLife like this.
  5. Whino

Whino Juniors

Not me you can check my posts.
    Last week I said I didn't understand it.
    We lost speed out wide and an aerial threat by not having Naden there. Equally we lost May’s impact off the bench in the middle of the field.
    It is not the reason we lost but part of it.

blue bags, WestyLife and age.s like this.
  6. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Where they the better team or smarter?

I felt that Penalty try was very harsh.

And so was the Panthers dissalowed try.

The intercept and that try just before halftime was just a fluke. At 10-0 it was a ridiculous pass by Nathan. He had to get into halftime here.

The moment when Kikau passed back and Crigthon was away and called back was the wrong call. Kikau didn't knock on.

Also a Storm players drops it and it hits a panther and Kikau picks up. 9/10 that is play on and not a penalty.

Some may of been correct calls. Many where 50/50. But none went Panthers way untill it was 26-0

blue bags likes this.
  7. Whino

Whino Juniors

My concern too. We had a kind year with injuries and no Origin impacted our season. Next year both might.
    We have blown a golden chance last night. They don't come around often.
    Every team that loses a GF always says we will be back next year. Few make it back the following season.
    You only have to look at Canberra losing Hodgson earlier this year.
    We made it back in 91 but that was a different team.

Next year we will be weaker. Tamou gone, maybe some valuable depth gone and the loss of Barrett driving our attack.
    We were the best team all year -apart from the finals - but we have blown a golden change to win the premiership. Almost everything aligned.

8. age.s

age.s First Grade

I think this is a bit harsh. May's a 6 or a 14 (not a centre), but he's a very good one. His vision and passing have been outstanding at times. He justified his place in the 17, even if he didn't originally earn it.

I don’t think there's anything that complicated about him starting. I think the situation just got to the coach, in much the same way it got to the players. We choked off the field just like we did on it.

And as someone else said, Gidley was a very good player at club level. Not an Origin captains arsehole though, well, maybe Fraudners actually.

blue bags and Pomoz like this.
  9. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

So Kidley > May, got it.

Not sure whether he's a NRL 5/8. Certainly not ahead of Luai (or Burton if he stays), but as a 2nd/3rd stringer.

Its also noticeable when he's defending in the forwards as we tend to lose dominance.

Agree that Ivan fluffed his selections & tactics. I just wonder whether May's start in place of Naden is rose-coloured glasses stuff, rather than anything Naden has done (he definitely had dicey moments in the Roosters game but was they enough to drop him)? Obviously this a criticism of Ivan rather than May.

blue bags likes this.
  10. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

You pick Naden at centre or not at all. Serious questions need to be asked of Ivan. f**king pathetic

Ceprahs, blue bags, Pomoz and 2 others like this.
  11. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

I think people underestimate the effect a strong runner at centre has. The Storm could defend our left edge much easier not having to worry about the right so much. Notice once Naden came on he had that edge back peddling and Crichton got space on the left and Nathan even got more space in the middle. Basically it forces the defence to defend the entire field properly creating space elsewhere.

If the idea was to get his fresh legs at tired defenders they went too late.

blue bags, The Realist and age.s like this.
  12. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

I'm still a little too emotional to form a rational thought about last night, but just had to say that if anyone out there is hurting just as much as I am, I feel you brother/sister... I'm right there with you.

13. The_Frog

The_Frog Bench

Must have changed his mind.

blue bags likes this.
  14. The_Frog

The_Frog Bench

Too late as in too far behind.

blue bags and WestyLife like this.
  15. snickers007

snickers007 Juniors

I'm feeling a bit numb right now. Feels like a real wasted opportunity, and gives so much credibility to all those that said we would shit the bed on the big stage / that we had an easy draw etc etc.

I tried not to get my hopes up too much during the week - and my only real hope was that the players (on both teams) decided the game. Clearly that didn't happen. I hate blaming referees - I've spent enough time with a whistle in my hand to know how hard it is - but we got zero help in that first half. And our team did not handle it well.

Despite a successful season - I think we need to have a serious review on the last 6-7 weeks of the season. Instead of starting fast, scoring first, ball control and not conceding points in the first 20mins, we ended up reverting back to Griffin-ball. Slow starts, conceding early points, plenty of errors and penalties.

Kikau was terrible - he was trying to score off every play. Luai and Cleary were invisible.
    Fisher-Harris and Yeo worked hard, but didn't get a lot of help.

blue bags, Pomoz and kyussian like this.
  16. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

Nathan Cleary once again proved he doesn't have it in big games yet anyway

People saying we didn't use our bench properly. We were chasing 26 points playing the usual tactics wouldn't work

Look more at how it got to 26-0 as why we lost. Some terrible effort out there by the 'stars'

blue bags likes this.
  17. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

Yeah 26 points is a bridge too far against the Storm.

blue bags likes this.
  18. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

Why we lost not in any particular order.

1. 18 errors
    2. Naden/May selection decisions hurt badly.
    3. Nathan attempted 1 attacking kick for a repeat set all game preferring the bomb to the second rower.

blue bags likes this.
  19. Fangs

Fangs Bench

Penrith saved 3 of their worst performances of the year for the finals. It will need to be closely analysed.

blue bags and Jane Murray like this.
  20. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

Throw in Luai's kicking options too. I don't think the May/Naden was as much of a factor as some do. 1 and 3 are why we lost the game.

That intercept alone was huge but whenever we started to get a roll on we would commit a stupid error.

Yes there were some dodgy calls but Mansour/Leota/Kikau dropped it just getting up to play it. We didn't find touch on a penalty

We do those basics right and we win the game even with May at centre

blue bags, kyussian and snickers007 like this.