1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL & NRLW along with the match programme for the coming weekend of action in the NRL Finals, NRLW, Challenge Cup, Super League, NZRL and the Toulouges Nines!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber goes one-on-one with retired NRL match official Gavin Badger, Rick Edgerton looks at some of the legendary halves pairings as Penrith pair Nathan Cleary & Jarome Luai ascend to potential greatness, and we look at a world of rugby league this coming weekend with Steve Mascord.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Finals Week 3, NRLW Round 3, Challenge Cup Final, Super League Round 16, NZRL Premiership and Toulouges Nines programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 21 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

GF Panthers vs Storm

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Pugzley, Oct 17, 2020 at 7:55 AM.

1. The Realist

The Realist Juniors

This has me very concerned as well, more so the speed than the height. Both our wingers are relatively slow so if they get beaten or get caught slightly our of position it is good night Irene.

Thankfully our defensive structure has been good when scrambling and we are making good decisions as well, but an inform Storm is the biggest test possible.

2. The Realist

The Realist Juniors

I never considered this angle but on reflection you are dead right. Souths targeted our right side edge defense strongly all night. They did have a bit of success (some of it more luck than skill) but not as much as they are accustomed to.

Pomoz and Kev07 like this.
  3. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

The issue will be JAC. His speed is hard to defend as it's just such a natural advantage.

tripster likes this.
  4. The Realist

The Realist Juniors

Yes he is truly the one, and what is worse is that the Storm have numerous set plays designed to utilise that speed and they are executing very well.

tripster likes this.
  5. murraymob

murraymob First Grade

The thing is.the bunnies kept scoring out wide last 3 games.Our slide was brilliant and shut them down .I think we do the same and it will limit there wingers a lot

Crashtest likes this.
  6. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

Definitely. They've become adept at using it to get around defensive structures so even players making good decisions are late on the play.

7. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

Panthers fan representation at the game last night was pretty disappointing, I’d guess around 12k of the crowd were Penrith supporters. Hopefully it’s a better showing at the Grand Final, could be a real advantage for the team with hardly any Storm supporters there.

Jane Murray likes this.
  8. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

9. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

10. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

Our last 2 performances have shown the boys are a lot more nervous than they have been letting on.
    I think that goes double for Ivan, he is overthinking things.
    His bench rotations have changed a lot over the last few weeks and the Naden call was unnecessary.
    Against the Roosters he had May replace Yeo, he kept Tamou and Fish off for ages.
    Last Night Capewell was on to long, Leota got very limited minutes and Naden didn’t get a run.
    We have been so dominant all year with our forwards, I don’t understand why he is messing with it so much.

WestyLife, kyussian, age.s and 4 others like this.
  11. herbert henry1908

I just read that the Storm aren’t allowed into Sydney until Saturday, and then they must stay confined to their hotel until the game. Gives us a slight advantage.

12. chrisD

chrisD Coach

We are a better team than the Storm. With the last two scratchy performances behind us we should put together a good one. Our middle is unmatched, and without Naden for them to exploit we don't really have any glaring weaknesses. Kicking in behind Mansour and attacking between between Luai and Crichton perhaps, but they're decent enough that if the middle holds strong they shouldn't be too exposed. And the middle will hold strong.

Like the last time we played the Storm, it should be a comfortable grind.

13. Crashtest

Crashtest Juniors

Souths had scored 144 points in their last 3 games with most of their tries from their left edge. Ivan’s tinkering with the centre position helped restrict them to only 16 points, plus May scored a try and played a key role in another.

Ivan’s changes worked, we won, and now in a grand final!

Kev07, GongPanther and Panther Pete like this.
  14. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

Sounded like there were also a good number of neutrals who cheered for both sides while enjoying the experience.

kinghippo and Jane Murray like this.
  15. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

16. herbert henry1908

Our defence has been good all year with Naden in the centres, though. I know he’s got a howler in him, but changing the team dynamics this late seems fraught to me. We haven’t been ourselves the last couple of games.

WestyLife and kinghippo like this.
  17. abpanther

abpanther Moderator Staff Member

So pumped for this, can't wait!

Looks like tickets for the general public don't go on sale till Tuesday morning? Is there a code anyone can share to help me buy some now?

18. BxTom

BxTom Juniors

Agree,we have hopefully played our bad games and still won. Now for a great team effort without the errors. 18 Straight!

Crashtest likes this.
  19. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

There is and has been a method to Ivan's madness all year. And here we are 17 games unbeaten, minor premiers, a GF in a season were it seems like it's gone in a flash.

Crashtest likes this.
  20. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

The May change wasn’t why we won.
    We are a better team than they are.

You make it sound as if we have been leaking try’s all year, but we have had the best defence in the comp.

I don’t mind if May is in this week but I hope Ivan picks the bench properly, it has been one of our biggest assets keeping our pack relentless and dominant.

We don’t need tricks or fancy coaching moves, we are the best team in the comp on the back of a simple game plan and hard work.

We win this weekend by dominating field position, ruthless defence and grinding the storm out of the game.

age.s, GongPanther and Pomoz like this.