What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF..

St. Linnane

First Grade
DR,

Would be interesting to have a beer with you to talk through your issues further.

However, whilst you are, as your state, silently protesting, how do you expect to be heard, encourage change etc, if you are not a member. Whilst recognising you can't vote for a CEO (or indeed a board member, at least not without a convoluted process) the club gives members an opportunity to have their say. There is no guarantee that the suggestions will be implemented, but at least you can be heard and expect a response.

Not being a member takes this opportunity away.

St. Linnane

First Grade
TPP, you know I have access to 5 passes, and need two tickets. Therefore if we decide to do something about 'spare' tickets I will have 8 spare tickets.

I should be available to go to Ticketek on the 27th - I am doing my best to keep the morning free.

Doug2234

First Grade
General refusal of the club to listen to current Red V Members' opinions, take them on board and institute change. Apparently they know what's best for the supporters .. not the supporters. If I am a member, I want to be heard, not just seen (or viewed as a number on a paper document).

I dont disagree with you but you want change but you wont get on board to at the very least initiate the change... The club wont listen to you in regards to any change in membership policies unless your a member... sitting in the background with no voice wont help what you want to achieve...

boxa777

Coach
DR, I admire your persistence but must echo the other thoughts. Little can be achieved with one fan refusing to get a membership. Especially when they then attend games anyway.

At the end of the day a silent protest is just that. Silent.

The Major

Bench
Sounds like a load of sh*t to me. I can think of 100 other things wrong in the world to bitch and moan about then this crap. Should I not send my kids to a particular school because I don't get a say in the type of bread they use for their sangas in the canteen? Or don't drive down certain roads because I didn't get a say that the light to "go" is green and I'd prefer purple? Suck it up princess as my 7 year old would say. Everyone is encouraged to freedom of thought and speech, but from the balcony of a public forum I can say that there are two options. Be part of the solution or be part of the problem. I, myself, view your sentiments in the latter. Good luck to you my friend getting tickets at overs should we make it to the big one.

SaintTPP

First Grade
We will be sending out the Email to everyone on the list from last year and all the new ones who PM'd me their emails in a week's time. We havent forgot lol.

Maybe we should email everyone to remind them and inform them of the day they go on sale. Then another email will be sent closer to the date. with all the details.

Ray remember last year lol. With everyone calling, emailing and texting and driving around for more tickets haha.

The Major

Bench
Lol. I do indeed. I wonder how many walk up starts we could jag with bogus member codes this time round???

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Don't forget the bogus member codes might jeopardise other members purchases .. so at least use the PAR or SHA prefix ;)

_Johnsy

Referee
I have received no red V card (country member) I realise that this makes no difference when purchasing tix via pre general release sale (also nrl member).

Just shows another fundamenal thing our club cannot get right. However I'll be using my allocation of tix regardless (via nrl membership). Anyone have any idea if the red V members tix are released any earlier than NRL members on NRL.com.au ?

STG-MACCA

Bench
I have received no red V card (country member) I realise that this makes no difference when purchasing tix via pre general release sale (also nrl member).

Just shows another fundamenal thing our club cannot get right. However I'll be using my allocation of tix regardless (via nrl membership). Anyone have any idea if the red V members tix are released any earlier than NRL members on NRL.com.au ?

Yes they are released to club members before the NRL members.
NRL mmbers get a pre sale from 9pm the night before the general public

St. Linnane

First Grade
I believe they are Johnsy.

IIRC last year 9am to 5pm was season ticket holders and at 7pm NRL.com members could have a crack; with the remainder on sale to the general public at 9am the next day.

Nitro

Juniors
I'm going to have to take a punt to see if I can sit with the mighty army for the GF..

I couldn't get a Red V membership this year due to family and house reasons so I hope there are 1 or 2 available the next day to try and sit with you guys.

Here's hoping!!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
DR,

Would be interesting to have a beer with you to talk through your issues further.

However, whilst you are, as your state, silently protesting, how do you expect to be heard, encourage change etc, if you are not a member. Whilst recognising you can't vote for a CEO (or indeed a board member, at least not without a convoluted process) the club gives members an opportunity to have their say. There is no guarantee that the suggestions will be implemented, but at least you can be heard and expect a response.

Not being a member takes this opportunity away.

DR, I admire your persistence but must echo the other thoughts. Little can be achieved with one fan refusing to get a membership. Especially when they then attend games anyway.

At the end of the day a silent protest is just that. Silent.

DR, I echo what you’ve said and feel exactly the same way with all the points you’ve raised.

Linanne and Boxa, check this post out first. Both Cooper and Macca can verify the validity of the story, as well as a number of others on the site. This tends to be what happens when you stand up to get counted. It also speaks to why I am about to say the following.

Whilst I agree that not doing anything doesn’t allow your voice to be heard at all, it does at least spare you the frustration of something like what I went through.

The issue with the clubs management is they’re old hat, and they all want to keep control due to the money. There’s very few in the administration with the clubs best interests at heart (Robert Stone was one of the last; May he rest in peace) from a soul point of view. They try to keep the club working financially, that I have no concern over, but even then they don’t do a great job and they’re not looking ahead properly in order to give me a sense of comfort that in 100 years St George Leagues Club and St George Illawarra will still be operating with the same success as they have always done so.

The issue with taking on the administration is not enough people get involved. The 80/20 rule is more like 80/5, and those who grumble and complain the loudest are often the most reluctant to get off their ass and do something.

I have all the respect in the world for the likes of Cooper-Man, R2K, Macca and a few others because they not only give a sh*t about our club but they ALWAYS stand up to be counted. For anything to be done, we ALL need to stand up, but sadly this very, very rarely happens and I think the SOS days and first R2K campaign is the only time it happened.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Sounds like a load of sh*t to me. I can think of 100 other things wrong in the world to bitch and moan about then this crap. Should I not send my kids to a particular school because I don't get a say in the type of bread they use for their sangas in the canteen? Or don't drive down certain roads because I didn't get a say that the light to "go" is green and I'd prefer purple? Suck it up princess as my 7 year old would say. Everyone is encouraged to freedom of thought and speech, but from the balcony of a public forum I can say that there are two options. Be part of the solution or be part of the problem. I, myself, view your sentiments in the latter. Good luck to you my friend getting tickets at overs should we make it to the big one.
I feel that's a bit harsh ... I didn't come on here bitching about anything, I was asked for my reasons for not having season ticket membership, and I simply provided them.

Different people have different beliefs and different reasons for doing things .. if my reasons are different to yours, so be it. Simply because you do not view my reasons as important to you when you are making your personal choice, that hardly makes my reasons invalid from my perspective. Likewise, if you choose to purchase a season ticket primarily because you get discount hot dogs at the ground (hypothetical scenario), I wouldn't judge your reason as insignificant for the fact that it is in fact significant to you.

Interestingly, and rather counter-intuivitively I might add, it is conceivable to view my actions as more beneficial to the club than those that purchase season tickets. Season ticket holders get a discount on ticket prices, and they get merchandise paid for by the club. I get no merchandise, pay full price for tickets, and go to enough games each season that the club ends up making a larger profit from me than a regular Red V member (ignoring other variables such as food and drink at the ground, club merchandise etc).

In any case, I will do my best to get tickets to the Grand Final, should we make it there. Thanks for the well-wishes!

Saint Doc

Coach
Macca...have you sent the email out yet? I was part of last years group but havent receieved anything yet!

St. Linnane

First Grade
No email as yet Doc, still a couple of things in play.

Message will be posted here when the email is sent. Hopeful, but not expectant, of a positive result of the less labour intensive method.

STG-MACCA

Bench
EMAIL HAS BEEN SENT TONIGHT

If anyone doesn't recieve it, please PM SaintTPP and we will get it out to you.
Please also pass onto any mates who are getting tickets but aren't on the distribution list.

Latest posts