What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant gun Jason Saab to ditch Mary’s Dragons as rivals circle

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor surprised by Saab request
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Winger Jason Saab (l) has shocked Dragons officials by asking for a release from his contract.
    St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says he was surprised teenage winger Jason Saab requested a release from the club.

The Dragons confirmed on Friday that they had knocked back a request from Saab to leave the club and walk out on his current deal, that ends in 2022.

A talented winger, Saab is believed to have been frustrated by being overlooked for the past fortnight and could prefer a club closer to his western-Sydney base.

But McGregor said the two-metre tall winger would have played this year if not through injury and he wanted him to remain with the Red V.

"It's quite surprising. I've got a good relationship with Jason, I gave him his debut at 18. He played three games," McGregor said.

"Unfortunately he needed a shoulder reconstruction and he had a broken foot.

"He was on the mend, he had a really good pre-season. He wasn't quite right for selection in round two otherwise he would have been selected.

"He knows that.

"We've only had one game since. Now I've heard this morning he wants a release. He has a great future in the game and we want it to be at this club."

Saab scored three tries in his three games last year and was also part of NSW's successful under-20s State of Origin side.

Meanwhile the Dragons moved quick to lock in rookie halfback Adam Clune to a two-year deal on Friday, ahead of his debut against Canterbury.

Clune is in no doubt for Monday's clash with the Bulldogs, after copping a hit to the nose earlier in the week from Paul Vaughan in training.

McGregor on Friday hailed his composure, after he was halfback of the year in NSW Cup in 2019.

Monday's game will mark his 100th game for the Dragons and coincides with his 25th birthday.

"Re-signing wasn't something I had expected or given thought to especially so early in the season but it's an exciting moment in my career," Clune said.

"I've never been in this position previously.

"My journey has been different to most so to re-sign for a further two years is incredible."

Clune was only upgraded to a top 30 contract, from a development player deal, after an impressive pre-season campaign.

Australian Associated Press
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6783028/mcgregor-surprised-by-saab-request/?cs=7486

possm

Coach
  • NRL

Winger Jason Saab (l) has shocked Dragons officials by asking for a release from his contract.
    St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says he was surprised teenage winger Jason Saab requested a release from the club.

The Dragons confirmed on Friday that they had knocked back a request from Saab to leave the club and walk out on his current deal, that ends in 2022.

A talented winger, Saab is believed to have been frustrated by being overlooked for the past fortnight and could prefer a club closer to his western-Sydney base.

But McGregor said the two-metre tall winger would have played this year if not through injury and he wanted him to remain with the Red V.

"It's quite surprising. I've got a good relationship with Jason, I gave him his debut at 18. He played three games," McGregor said.

"He was on the mend, he had a really good pre-season. He wasn't quite right for selection in round two otherwise he would have been selected.

"He knows that.

"We've only had one game since. Now I've heard this morning he wants a release. He has a great future in the game and we want it to be at this club."

Saab scored three tries in his three games last year and was also part of NSW's successful under-20s State of Origin side.

Meanwhile the Dragons moved quick to lock in rookie halfback Adam Clune to a two-year deal on Friday, ahead of his debut against Canterbury.

Clune is in no doubt for Monday's clash with the Bulldogs, after copping a hit to the nose earlier in the week from Paul Vaughan in training.

McGregor on Friday hailed his composure, after he was halfback of the year in NSW Cup in 2019.

Monday's game will mark his 100th game for the Dragons and coincides with his 25th birthday.

"Re-signing wasn't something I had expected or given thought to especially so early in the season but it's an exciting moment in my career," Clune said.

"My journey has been different to most so to re-sign for a further two years is incredible."

Clune was only upgraded to a top 30 contract, from a development player deal, after an impressive pre-season campaign.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6783028/mcgregor-surprised-by-saab-request/?cs=7486
The Board should move on the sacking of Mary and install Sheppard as interim coach. All eyes will then trun to Millward's performance as he will not be able to blame Mary anymore.

It is a real MESS!

rasaint

Juniors
By all means climb into Paul McGregor but I read that story and explanation as probably close to the mark.

It notes that things were explained to Jason last week about selection.

BTW I have had a little concern that he isn’t as quick as been touted, just from my limited viewing of him. I hope that before he finishes growing he can get a touch more dash. Any body know where he sits in training on the speed matter. He certainly appears to be game and able to contest a high ball.

Crush

Coach
The Board should move on the sacking of Mary and install Sheppard as interim coach. All eyes will then trun to Millward's performance as he will not be able to blame Mary anymore.

It is a real MESS!
Sheppard as interim coach, gee that's the first time I've heard you suggest that.
And are you saying Millward isn't doing a good job? I had no idea you felt this way about him. I always thought that you were a fan.

Como Connection

First Grade

It is a real MESS!
Millward performance is fine in my opinion and not a mess possm, the club just needs to remove the problem but I'm not confident they have the balls to do so.
Lets back some winners today possm.
CC

emu62

Juniors
On Graham , I'm really sick of they way he comes out at every opportunity and defends the coach ..... The team and the players are behind Mary ..... What a load of garbage ......

Graham did say one true thing. "Mary is great at breaking things down."Obviously not what he meant but spot on as this club could not be worse due to this imbecile imposter. A bald version of Trump, blames everybody else, & takes credit when not deseved

Dragon Revival

Juniors
When Dufty was our fullback Millward said that Marsters would be the NRL fullback in two year's time. He was then moved to centre in Canterbury Cup and then went to South's this year. The Dragons are probably the worst club in developing players and virtually the entire NRL side is out of form but are said to be stars,every week at training. The Coach and the Recruitment Manager both speak with forked tongues which one can see pisses the players off.

BLM01

First Grade
  • NRL

"He knows that.

Mary also said that while I’m coach that Tyson would be here cause we are besties......we all know how that turned out
Why are people just judging this on his non selection
he could just plain old want out of the joint as is toxic ATM And like many of us doesn’t see any bright future....what’s wrong with that smart thinking
Mary says he surprised! Not many of us are

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would suggest that the A Side and B Side trials at training were proposed by Flanagan so that the second 13 players were given a chance of selection. Mc Innes should not have to make 70 tackles per match and the bludgers who are not doing their share of the tackling should be dropped.

getsmarty

Immortal

It is a real MESS!

Where did Millward blame McGregor. ? Come on possm...your making stuff up again....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
As if Mary would have picked Saab ahead of Rava? Rava makes errors and gets picked every week, others make one or 2 and are dropped. With the new rules I think you need speed more than size now so Saab will have that on Rava? I also think JP brings the ball back faster and harder than Rav so deserves his spot. JP and Saab should be the wingers. Don't you get nervous when the ball is kicked high to Rava? I get nervous when the pass it to him sometimes. And that bombed try against the Warriors? Mate the guy is Mary pet like McCrone was. He must like boys from Canberra.

slippery5

Juniors
Maybe we could circle him as well... Coates / Saab combo
I can tell you I watched Coates in th Q cups last game before Covid 19 shutdown & it wasn't just the high ball, he kicked ahead, regathed & twisted his body in one motion to score in the corner. It was like going back in time witnessing Inglis coming through. If Sabb is in his league than that would be a combo.

Dragon David

First Grade
I can tell you Xavier Coates from Bronco's is also unhappy with being overlooked & has Bellamy circling. Another 19 yr old that is good enough.

With Vunivalu from the Storm very likely going to the Queensland Reds to play union and the likelihood of Addo-Carr coming to play for a Sydney Club next year, the recruitment staff at the Storm will be looking very hard at signing a couple of wingers for the team going forward from 2021.

They don't necessarily need world beater wingers to sign up as they will be able to coach those new wingers to do what Vunivalu and Addo-Carr can do. Same as when they had Koroibete on the wing. So Saab and Coates might be in the Storm's line of sight as future wingers for them.

getsmarty

Immortal
Storm, Wests Tigers, Rabbitohs poised to swoop on teenage Dragons star
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2FmSBkH_e4otW2pi-LpZeSDFjaNO4%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F05%2F05%2F11%2F44%2Fthe_mole_byline.jpg
By The Mole
an hour ago
Boom Dragons winger Jason Saab will request a release from his contract for a second time when he meets with club officials this week.

The struggling Dragons denied Saab's application to be let out of his deal last week but the giant winger remains insistent.

He has asked for a meeting with Dragons officials this week to put his case.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Faf3a4a07-0ba6-48d7-b4c0-bfb55e580b1e

Jason Saab will meet with Dragons officials this week (Getty)
Up to seven clubs are chasing Saab, who cannot make the Dragons' top side.

The Storm, Tigers and Rabbitohs are believed to be leading the hunt for the speedy winger.

Coach Paul McGregor has been using Zac Lomax, Jordan Pereira and Mikaele Ravalawa on the flanks in the early rounds in his search for his best wingers, with Saab left out in the cold.

Saab's request is the latest blow for the Dragons in a nightmare start to the season.

The club has yet to win a game, star forward Tyson Frizell has agreed to join Newcastle next season and there is constant speculation over the future of the besieged McGregor.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...the-mole/8c78ffad-a613-4f54-803a-150356f1f4be

Latest posts