What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley into halves / Thaiday to return?

Yosh

Coach
perverse said:
lol, waltzing's middle name is versatile.

So basically you are saying that he can play all the positions Bailey can play but better? I would disagree:roll:

perverse

Referee
Yosh said:
So basically you are saying that he can play all the positions Bailey can play but better? I would disagree:roll:
yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. i don't rate bailey highly at all.. tbh he's quite unproven at NRL level and hasn't given me much reason to suspect he is any better than Hilder - a proven first grader in several positions.

as i've said before - at this point bailey reminds me a lot of riley brown.

Pika

Bench
Hilder probably has more versatility than Bails, as he can add the hooker role to his list.

Bails is streets ahead when only considering the 5/8 spot however.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Mullo will be the long term five-eight, regardless of all the ifs and buts and maybes that are floating around at the moment.

perverse

Referee
Jobdog said:
Mullo will be the long term five-eight, regardless of all the ifs and buts and maybes that are floating around at the moment.
i really hope so.

i can't see why smith would have resigned dureau if he didn't intend to use him. word is dureau has been good in the preseason too, so i'm really struggling for reasons why it wouldn't be 7. Dureau 6. Mullen come round 1..

Yosh

Coach
perverse said:
i really hope so.

i can't see why smith would have resigned dureau if he didn't intend to use him. word is dureau has been good in the preseason too, so i'm really struggling for reasons why it wouldn't be 7. Dureau 6. Mullen come round 1..

Yeah from what I hear he is gun isnt he apart from a dodgy shoulder or something... Hopefully this isnt a problem and like would be awesome if they could build up a great combination to lead us into years to come... Or we could just buy Tim Smith, I personally really like the bloke... everyone else hates him... Or even Todd Carney, they both are crazy unpredictable drunks who would compliment the well drilled no fuss Mullen if you ask me:D

otori

Juniors
Smith is really tight lipped on who will partner Mullen. It is kind of weird that we've signed two halfbacks with not much first grade potential to almost fight it out instead of favour one and keep a utility backup like Bailey. I mean competition is a good thing but the halves need combinations more than individual brilliance to achieve IMHO. Unless it's one A.Johns + anyother plugger.

Yosh

Coach
I think he has already decided he just doesnt want the world to know thats all... I think Walsh is out of the question and he wants people to believe that Bailey will partner Mullen, but in the end he will shock everyone and put Mullen into 5/8th and Scott into 7... Master plan if you ask me

keeney

First Grade
I hope so but knowing Smith, the halves combo will chop and change constantly for the first few weeks.

macavity

Referee
halves "combo" is overrated - they often play different sides of the ruck.

IMO its more important halves have combos with the hooker and running forwards/centres.

FTR I think this next trial will settle it. I also think the choice between Bailey and Dureau may depend on who we are playing that week.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Hanscholo said:
If Milton has his head together i dont care where they move Gidley he has to be our fullback, the bloke is one of the most agile players i have ever seen. I dont mind gidley in the 6, in fact i prefer it in a lot of ways, his kick chase is sublime, his marker work is outstanding and he does pretty well in that vital spot 3 in from the touchline. Id probably prefer Bailey at lock.

Well said!

darkness

Juniors
My money is on, Mullo and Bailey. Based on the scientific approach that there good blokes. Although Walshy and Dureau are as well, just not quite as good as Mullo and Bails.

macavity

Referee
darkness said:
My money is on, Mullo and Bailey. Based on the scientific approach that there good blokes. Although Walshy and Dureau are as well, just not quite as good as Mullo and Bails.

like the big boys, eh darkness.....

perverse

Referee
darkness said:
is that you hages? :sarcasm:

darkness

Juniors
macavity said:
like the big boys, eh darkness.....

Is it that obvious, I thought my' Good Fellas' line would have fooled everybody. If you aren't real smart but weigh over 105kg, then you make my squad any day.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Alot of people said kurt going to fullback wouldn't work, yet it did. I think it worked because kurt has matured as a player, rather than him only being suited to the fullback role.

Alot of the great work kurt did last year was when he was playing up in the line like a 5/8.

With the game down to 10 interchanges, I can see creativity playing a big role in a teams success in 2008. That is why having buderus at dummy half, bailey at lock, mullen at half, kurt at 5/8 and another ball player in thaiday at fullback would make the team very dangerous all over the field!

bluesbreaker

Bench
Great, back to the days of holding ones breath every time the opposition put a bomb up. If Thaiday gets a gig, he must defend in the line with Kurt at the back. Too many uncontested/dropped pills in 05 for my liking.

perverse

Referee
oh for bleeding f**ks sake.

kurt = FAIL at 5/8th!!!! HE CAN NOT KICK PEOPLE! his strategic kicking game is absolutely woeful. on top of that, kurt isn't an organiser. yes, he has matured as a player... but he has also done that because he has been allowed to put his particular skillset into better effect from fullback. there is too much pressure on him at 5/8th to create plays and to kick. he performs much, much better when it is his own game and his own game alone that he has to worry about.

we can't fix our broken leg by gluing one of our arms there. we need a genuine halfback to go inside mullen.

Latest posts