What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley into halves / Thaiday to return?

Luke Hatherley

Juniors
I thought he were rid of Thaiday. Surely this turnstile with no confidence isn't still an option.

If its not scotty at half then go with a Mullo and bails combo, but Gidley HAS to remain at fullback.

Yosh

Coach
Bicey_18 said:
Dureau is better than Bailey and Walsh simple
Gidley is NOT a Half
No to Milton...

How about

1. Kidley
6. Mullen
7. Dureau
9. Bedsy
13. Simmo
14. Bailey

Close to the best combination in the comp if we can get Mullen/Dureau to fire...

perverse

Referee
Yosh said:
How about

1. Kidley
6. Mullen
7. Dureau
9. Bedsy
13. Simmo
14. Bailey

Close to the best combination in the comp if we can get Mullen/Dureau to fire...
switch bailey for waltzing and that's how i'd play it too. i had houston at 13 and simmo at 11... but am quite content with them switching, simmo will play well no matter where he's put.

best combination in the comp is stretching it, but it is potent nonetheless (with the assumption that dureau fires in the big league).

Spike

First Grade
Meh, I'm at least open to trying Kidley at 5/8 again. He often plays up in the line in attack anyway and his defence is rock solid but like others have said, he's not really the greatest of organisers. But then again, that's going to fall on Mullen if Bailey plays at 5/8 anyway.

I just don't know what the point of Kidley playing at fullback over the past 12 months was if Smith's plan was to move him again. It's not like there any real difference as to players from last year available to play either fullback or 5/8.

I'd still prefer Kidley at fullback and Dureau given a shot at halfback with Mullen at 5/8. It gives us two genunine halves and more attaking options.

otori

Juniors
Yosh said:
How about

1. Kidley
6. Mullen
7. Dureau
9. Bedsy
13. Simmo
14. Bailey

Lol uhhh

1. Slater
6. Inglis
7. Cronk
9. Smith
13. Johnson
14. Crocker

Mr O'Keefe it's no deal!

Realistically NQ, Wests and Manly have better line ups in those positions though obviously no Melbourne.

K-Man

Bench
I still cannot believe how underrated Thaiday is despite the signs that if he was genuinely fit he would be one of the 10 most dangerous players in the competition.

It's not often you get a player with his speed and agility who also has genuine ballplaying skills. Especially considering how little he will be getting paid, and assuming fitness is up to scratch, I hope Smith seriously considers him to be an option in our best 17.

It's a little out of left field, but I have a feeling that a 6. Mullen 7. Thaiday halves combinatjion would work a lot better than Bailey/Mullen.

Plenty of clubs will have worse halfacks going around than Thaiday if he trained hard at it. And Mullen and Kidley would both be playing where they belong.

Also, in my opinion the argument for how bad Kidley is at 5/8th (which I agree with to a point), only applies if compared with a genuine playmaker. We all know he's not a great organiser, but his overall kicking/passing/directing skills still match up well against Bailey, who is a makeshift option and probably no better than Rudder was.

Having said all that, in round 1 at least I would go with Mullen/Dureau

Pika

Bench
Seriously, he has missed the entire preseason.

The top 17 is still putting the finishing touches on Smiths plays.

Thaiday would not be ready for six months in that regards.

Fitness is only part of it, and the easy part.

Smith is a perfectionist when it comes to basic plays, and even more critical on set peices.

I have seen him re run the simple Rhino play because the prop was a fraction close, then a fraction square, then a fraction wide, and its a one out play, and he did it with every prop until they got it right.

Thiaday does not have the luxury of preseason, it would take him six months to work into the plays.

Karmawave

Bench
Pika said:

Smith is a perfectionist when it comes to basic plays, and even more critical on set peices.

I have seen him re run the simple Rhino play because the prop was a fraction close, then a fraction square, then a fraction wide, and its a one out play, and he did it with every prop until they got it right.

Thiaday does not have the luxury of preseason, it would take him six months to work into the plays.

Forgetting the plays and moves for a minute...

Thaiday isn't the sort of player or build that needs to train for the entire preseason with weights and stuff like that. Like many players of his background, just give him a football and he naturally is ready to go...

Having said that, I hope that he isn't needed or required, because frankly, he isn't that bloody good.

Johns Magic

Referee
Pika said:

What about the mid-season signings we've had over the years like Vuna, Craig Smith, L MacDougall, Thaiday and Taia who've been thrown in after a couple of weeks or less?

Pika

Bench
That was out of necessity I think.

They are up to speed now, and should look a lot more cohesive.

keeney

First Grade
K-Man said:
I still cannot believe how underrated Thaiday is despite the signs that if he was genuinely fit he would be one of the 10 most dangerous players in the competition.

It's not often you get a player with his speed and agility who also has genuine ballplaying skills. Especially considering how little he will be getting paid, and assuming fitness is up to scratch, I hope Smith seriously considers him to be an option in our best 17.

It's a little out of left field, but I have a feeling that a 6. Mullen 7. Thaiday halves combinatjion would work a lot better than Bailey/Mullen.

Plenty of clubs will have worse halfacks going around than Thaiday if he trained hard at it. And Mullen and Kidley would both be playing where they belong.

Also, in my opinion the argument for how bad Kidley is at 5/8th (which I agree with to a point), only applies if compared with a genuine playmaker. We all know he's not a great organiser, but his overall kicking/passing/directing skills still match up well against Bailey, who is a makeshift option and probably no better than Rudder was.

Having said all that, in round 1 at least I would go with Mullen/Dureau

The things in bold are laughable. Thaiday was agile, and a damaging runner. BUT, he was hot and cold, couldn't defend at all ( as in couldn't make a simple tackle) and couldn't catch a bomb. All vital things. All reasons why he shouldn't be back. He was a plodder disguised as Bowen.

Johns Magic

Referee
keeney said:
The things in bold are laughable. Thaiday was agile, and a damaging runner. BUT, he was hot and cold, couldn't defend at all ( as in couldn't make a simple tackle) and couldn't catch a bomb. All vital things. All reasons why he shouldn't be back. He was a plodder disguised as Bowen.

When he was on fire he won us matches.

He was an absolute gun at the back end of '05 and the start of '06 when we were unstoppable and when he went down for the rest of the season we lost our edge.

He played one or two more games after those injuries in struggling sides and was never given a chance to work his way back.

That try he scored against the Raiders in his one? game last season was the best example of hole-running all year.

keeney

First Grade
I'm not saying he was a talentless hack. He just caused more problems than he sovled.

NthKnight

keeney said:

Agree totally. He had the potential to be a great FG fullback but lacked consistancy and confidence. Will bring good things to our PL side this year but we wont see him in FG again.

Johns Magic

Referee
NthKnight said:
Agree totally. He had the potential to be a great FG fullback but lacked consistancy and confidence. Will bring good things to our PL side this year but we wont see him in FG again.

He lacked consistency because he picked up an injury and missed half the season and only had a few weeks left when he returned.

Before being injured he was coming second to Johns in the KOTW votes by 35 votes after 5 rounds.

What he can bring to the team wins premierships.

NthKnight

Johns Magic said:
He lacked consistency because he picked up an injury and missed half the season and only had a few weeks left when he returned.

Before being injured he was coming second to Johns in the KOTW votes by 35 votes after 5 rounds.

What he can bring to the team wins premierships.

Yes but he also brings inconsistant form and poor defence which both can lose premierships.

Latest posts