What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley IS a hooker

BUNNY23

Juniors
Is it really worth paying danny a good sum of money for just 30min, you know what would be great if we could get Ennis hes also a local, and bird is too and we already got snowden. Are there any other quality junors/locals playing for other sides. Not Tighe or Walsh

Matt23

Staff member
Is it really worth paying danny a good sum of money for just 30min, you know what would be great if we could get Ennis hes also a local, and bird is too and we already got snowden. Are there any other quality junors/locals playing for other sides. Not Tighe or Walsh
Hopefully nobody mention's Anthony Tupou, I don't want him back either

Yosh

Coach
If Cooper Cronk can come on at Origin level as a lock I'm sure Gidley can to.

For me:

1. Boyd
6. Mullen
7. Roberts
9. Kidley

I reckon Mullen will develop into a fine 5/8th next year. Halfback does not suit his style.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The bench (Kurt included) won the game last night for NSW. He looked really good out of dummy half and gave us spark when he came on.

BUNNY23

Juniors
An assumption given he was is a Newcastle great/former captain. It also raises the question what capacity would he return as: a captain? would he be happy with a bench position? I haven't seen him play and whats been reported on him is hes no longer the same danny. In terms of Gidley the best ive seen him play would be at fullback with a roving dummy-half role with this i would hope and beleive Danny could even play a full 80. I hope WB does YU-eee and switches Boyd to:

1. Gidley
6. Boyd
7. Mullen
9. Buderus

15.Hilder

Though as opposed to this Thread we will see

1. Boyd
6. Gidley
7. Mullen
9. ?

15.Hilder

As in I highly doubt Gidley will play at hooker which i also for some reason i don't like, It seems like your taking away part of his game, that has an opportunity to develop under WB, further I seriously doubt he would accept it either Gidley seems to like playing in the backline

Serc

First Grade
Knights coach Rick Stone says Kurt Gidley should be named NSW hooker for State of Origin III
  • Barry Toohey
  • June 17, 2011 12:00AM

723129-kurt-gidley.jpg

Asset to NSW team: Kurt Gidley. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

RICK Stone has urged Blues coach Ricky Stuart to consider naming Kurt Gidley at hooker for the Origin decider in Brisbane, claiming it was the Knights skipper's influence from dummy-half which helped turned the tide in game two at ANZ Stadium.
Gidley was dynamic in the hooking role when pitched into the game as a first half replacement for Michael Ennis, prompting Stone to label him the game's greatest utility player.
"He can play anywhere but you could mount a decent argument for 'Sticky' (Stuart) to start with Kurt at hooker for the decider," the Newcastle coach said yesterday.
"He's the best utility player in the game but what he provided for the Blues from dummy-half was top shelf.
"The game changed when he came on and started running the show out of dummy-half.
"His composure was great, almost every option he took was the right one and just his energy was fantastic.
"I think it was his best performance in a play-making role"
Stone said the way Gidley performed at hooker would have given incoming Knights coach Wayne Bennett food for thought about where best to utilise him in 2012. "With (Darius) Boyd coming, I think Wayne probably sees Kurt as a five-eighth," Stone said.
"But he would have watched the way he went last night with a fair bit of interest I would imagine.
"The only thing I would say is he is going to be at the Knights for another four years. Just from the long term aspect of it and the way Kurt throws himself around, hooker might not be his best position."
Gidley is battling an on-going knee complaint but is expected to back-up at halfback for the Knights against Penrith tomorrow along with Blues teammate Akuila Uate.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...te-of-origin-iii/story-e6frexv9-1226076724761

Johns Magic

Referee
Firstly, I'm not sure Stone should have put such pressure on Gids as to call for him to be promoted to starting hooker.

Secondly, hopefully Wayne is thinking what Stone is thinking...but they haven't exactly appeared to be on the same page recently on a few issues.

Wayne will be so looking forward to coaching Kurt. I am really intrigued as to what Wayne has in mind for him. His utility value will be used like never before if Wayne is true to form.

Pika

Bench
Is it his hard running yards into the middle like a tight lock (Gallen / Edwards)?

Or is it his excellent lines out wide in the role of an edge lock (Lewis)?

Is it his enourmous work rate in defence in the middle (Hilder / Stagg)?

Cronk was certainly none of these.

I guess it comes down to how you define the role of lock.

If you simply mean he replaced Harrison who started at lock then I guess you could argue he played lock. I dont think you can say he filled the role of lock though.

His introduction with the no change to the halves or hooker was simply to add an extra ball player in attack.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well you could say he played at "pseudo lock" due to a backrower coming off and him coming on with no positional changes to the 6, 7 or 9. This left them with only 5 forwards on the paddock so technically someone was filling the "lock" position.

Didnt work for them thats for sure

Pika

Bench
Well you could say he played at "pseudo lock" due to a backrower coming off and him coming on with no positional changes to the 6, 7 or 9. This left them with only 5 forwards on the paddock so technically someone was filling the "lock" position.

Didnt work for them thats for sure

Haha, I will pay 'pseudo lock'.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Johns Magic said:
It did in Game I though.

Cronk off the bench?

I think it still hindered them tbh, they just managed to overcome it then. Wednesday night however showed just how much they needed a fresher set of forward legs available instead of yet another ballplayer.

Johns Magic

Referee
Cronk directly set up Yow Yeh's crucial try in that game.

I know it's a stretch to isolate one piece of play and justify someone's entire performance, but that was a big play.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah but it could have just as easily been Thusto or Lockyer who put that kick in

Not saying he is crap but I just dont see where he adds to the team.

I think Qld have been lucky enough to be playing some crap NSW sides that they have had the luxury of being able to carry a player like Cronk on the bench. Not sure they can justify that anymore

Serc

First Grade
Mostly agree with JW here...particularly his last post...you'd be amazed at the amount of Queenslanders I know up here (only including those who know a fair bit about the game here) who think this Cronk on the bench thing is great, or even better than us having Gidley or Lewis in some cases!

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things given Locky is about to retire, however I think he will again be shown to be a selection luxury given how Queensland have been going, certainly not a great selection that adds much value to the team (though of course the guy is getting regular game time for his state, training in the halves for his state etc etc...seamless transition in 2012 etc etc)