What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley is a plodder

Fordy20

Juniors
On the upside, having had to watch him represent the blues for years, finally today I cheered for something he did. He got a standing occasion in my house. Twice actual

God yes! The heartache and frustration of watching him single handedly detonate any chances NSW had at winning in 2009, particularly Game 1, was unbelievable. I couldn't believe anyone could this derptastic and yet people were defending the genius.that fact that the Tigers benefited from his utter ineptitude was deeply and fiercely satisfying.

nikko

Juniors
:D
If all the professional sporting organisations sent their biggest derp to one team to form a team of super derps, and that team of super derps had to vote on who was their biggest derp... Kurt Gidley would be that derp

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
The knights haven't had a plodder like him since the halcyon days of John schuster and Gavin hanrahan. I remember one gavin hanrahan effort for Balmain v cronulla in about 87. Balmain were 26-0 down and got back to 26 all. Hanrahan took an intercept and had 60 metres on ettingshausen and got run down and we lost 32-26. If he ran backwards he would have run quicker

some11

Referee
People used to tell me Gidley was a good club player but not up to Origin standard.

Fast forward a few years he's not even a good club player, just another plodder who will plod around in the NRL for another few years denying someone better.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The knights haven't had a plodder like him since the halcyon days of John schuster and Gavin hanrahan. I remember one gavin hanrahan effort for Balmain v cronulla in about 87. Balmain were 26-0 down and got back to 26 all. Hanrahan took an intercept and had 60 metres on ettingshausen and got run down and we lost 32-26. If he ran backwards he would have run quicker

Hey, I will not hear a disparaging word about the great John Schuster.

Watch your mouth son

undertaker

Coach
In our defense he did have like 2 seasons of really good footy at fullback which fooled the club into re-signing him to a long deal and making him captain.

I don't know if I should hate him or admire his ability to get so much from the game while being such a plod. He's survived 5 coaching changes at the Knights. 3 as captain. Whoever has the balls to piss him off and deal with the wrath of his brother and the Knights Nannas should get a statue out the front of Hunter Stadium.

Those two good seasons were 2007-08 just after Joey retired. Brian Smith got good use out of him at fullback during that time. His best performance that comes to mind was vs warriors at home in 2007.

The whole entire town will initially go on a brainfart if the decision to give Gidley the arse eventuates, just like it did when Matthew Johns wasnt offered a new contract in 2000 (remember the hysteria that went around Newcastle at the time?)

But I do agree, whoever does make the big decision on Gidley needs to be honoured. Maybe up for an Order of Australia medal. And his brother, as great of a player as he was in his prime, needs to be shafted as CEO.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Hey, I will not hear a disparaging word about the great John Schuster.

Watch your mouth son

I was in Newcastle recently for a short stay and someone at the hotel (who used to be involved with the Knights back in the '90s) told me a rather 'interesting' reason why Schuster was shafted from the FG side to reserve grade, even after scoring a great try in the '93 season opener (and never played another FG game for the Knights), and it definitely wasn't because of his playing ability:lol:

Last edited:
He's an absolute cancer on our team, and I'm afraid it is terminal. He has been doing it all year. The Manly game was even more epic than today.

We'd be far better off without Gidley, Darius and Houston in our team.

The problem is that Gidley has been pumped up to be better than he ever is or will be...as for Boyd, he has ridden off the skills of GI, Slater and co in SOO and has never won a game off his own back.

aqua_duck

Coach
Those two good seasons were 2007-08 just after Joey retired. Brian Smith got good use out of him at fullback during that time. His best performance that comes to mind was vs warriors at home in 2007.

The whole entire town will initially go on a brainfart if the decision to give Gidley the arse eventuates, just like it did when Matthew Johns wasnt offered a new contract in 2000 (remember the hysteria that went around Newcastle at the time?)

But I do agree, whoever does make the big decision on Gidley needs to be honoured. Maybe up for an Order of Australia medal. And his brother, as great of a player as he was in his prime, needs to be shafted as CEO.

Re-signing a then 28 year old to a big money 4 year deal was never a wise decision as he had no set position

super_coach

First Grade
Warren Ryan said a few years ago, Gidley is a support player at very best, never give him the keys to car because he cant steer.

Newie would have won in a canter today with a smart player calling the shots, but Gids just keep making bad calls. He is probably a great bloke,a brilliant trainer, a great team man, but he aint a play maker

Apey

Staff member
It's not just that he's shit either. He is our captain, our f**king hooker, and probably one of our most highest paid players. :crazy:

Latest posts