What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley/Mullen

perverse

Referee
Perverse my problem isnt with Gidley going to fullback next season, as i have stated i would prefer 7. henry 1. Gidley. My point is that i can see where the opposing opinions are coming from because what we have now is working well. And i believe Gidley in the halves has to be seen as a success during his current venture there. Whether it is through his own quality or the fact it has helped mullen fire is irrelivent to my point

End of the day i like having two strong combo's to chose from rather than the lesser of two evils (Scotty or Dodge)
yeah, i was just sort of following on from what you've said. i agree, living in the now is most often the best course of action... but in 6 or 7 months time, in the "now" we will be able to utilize the services of Beau Henry, and i strongly suggest that we do.

he may take a while to warm to first grade, but he's one of those juniors that is worth it... and im confident he can, at the very least, provide an able partner for Mullen, so Mullen and Gids can dominate teams from their respective positions.

.. and as you said, it's beautiful having a strong backup if Henry does flop. i don't think he will, but we've got the Gids at 7 option there if things go pear shaped... or even Dodge, who has played some great footy for us this year too. our winning percentage with Dodge in the team would be pretty good this year, i would think. im not sure there will be another team in the comp as well looked after for depth in the halves as us next year if Henry fires.

so yeah, i'm just rebuking what others have been saying in regards to sticking with Mullen and Gids rather than giving Henry a crack.

I dont believe it is gidleys game that is making the combination so good. I believe that his presence at halfback has somehow taken a huge load of mullens shoulders and allowed him to play so freely. Something seems to have clicked with mullen and whether that is because gids is his partner I dont know.

I for one don't want to break this combination, however i do believe that henry and mullen need to be trialed as halves.. If they haven't clicked as a halves combo after 2 trial games and 6 rounds of the regular season I would bring gids back in to the number 7

aqua_duck

Coach
Dureau isn't fit to lace Beau Henry's boots, Dureau is a gnome with no running game and inconsistent kicking and passing game. Henry is a big, strong half who'll eventually probably grow to be bigger than some backrowers and can take the line on or can set up his outside men.

Alex28

Coach
Go back 3 months and any call for Gidley to play in the halves would have been howled down...

The guy is in good form. If the option at half is better than the option at fullback then Gidley should play where he is needed most.

I dont believe it is gidleys game that is making the combination so good. I believe that his presence at halfback has somehow taken a huge load of mullens shoulders and allowed him to play so freely. Something seems to have clicked with mullen and whether that is because gids is his partner I dont know.

Gidley at half has added structure to the play and that allows Mullen to more do his own thing. Gidley running in from fullback can, at times, tend to break up the pattern of play.

Go back 3 months and any call for Gidley to play in the halves would have been howled down...

The guy is in good form. If the option at half is better than the option at fullback then Gidley should play where he is needed most.

and go back a bit further and Uate had athletic potential but needed to learn football and Vuna was an "also ran" that many wouldn't have as there first pick. Add a long list of criticisms that seem to change here week in and week out.

Rusty

Juniors
McDonnell's positional play in defence is horrendous, it was there for all to see on Friday night. We need Gidley at fullback next year...I thought that was the purpose of Henry?

Rolla

Juniors
His attempt (can i call it that?) on Falou was embarrasing, he didnt get within 5 yards. Hurt even more given that Isreal is only one try behind Aku for lead try scorer.

He seems to be doing something right mate. You left out his A+ leadership, A+ defence A- running game, A+ energy and motivation. You were also a harsh critic on organising and passing, moreover his short kicking has been good.

Im all for Henry at half but have you seen how well gids is playing and how well he is complimenting mullen? Last nights man of the match, how you can say he hasn't been a success is beyond me.

Completely agree Rolla, he does have those qualities and they can best be served in the role of fullback where his been carving up in for the last couple of years.

I could live with Wes at fullback but McDonnell is a cat, but in our best 17 for 2011, Gids is clearly at 1.

Perverse my problem isnt with Gidley going to fullback next season, as i have stated i would prefer 7. henry 1. Gidley. My point is that i can see where the opposing opinions are coming from because what we have now is working well. And i believe Gidley in the halves has to be seen as a success during his current venture there. Whether it is through his own quality or the fact it has helped mullen fire is irrelivent to my point

End of the day i like having two strong combo's to chose from rather than the lesser of two evils (Scotty or Dodge)

Haha I see where u comming from mate and like ur thinking!

Rolla

Juniors
All sweet, agree re: wes at fullback over mcdonnell too this year but it won't happen.

Spot On

Coach
I've been one who has been critical of Mullo for a long time now. I'm happily wiping the egg off my face while watching him play what seems to be his natural game. He caused havoc the other night with most things he did - especially his running game. The bloke's defence has been good for the majority of the season, in fact it's been very good and now it seems the other parts of his game have come together. People can see the true Jarrod Mullen and all his skills with performances like that. I'm still marvelling at the tries that were scored from his kicks the other night. We've all watched countless "manufactured' kicks from him in attacking situations, most that just do not come off, but two in particular to Vuna's wings that resulted in tries were pure natural footballing genius for mine. The sort of plays the great ones can come up with in the big games when needed. If that's the sort of thing Mullo can produce on a consistent basis then I pray whatever they are doing as a team doesn't change.

If they play that brand of footy against the Drags next week and the passes stick and the kicks are spot on then.......

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
Kurt's strongest position is fullback. He can do everything that he does well at halfback, which is his short kicking and running game, but also give us everything he does well that he can't do at halfback, eg. strong kick returns and shutting down linebreaks. His combination with Mullen will be just as effective if not more effective if he plays at fullback.

1. Gidley
6. Mullen
7. Henry

Looks a lot more attractive then say;

1. McDonnell
6. Mullen
7. Gidley

If the club had no intention of Beau Henry becoming our long term 7, we wouldn't have signed him. And if he didn't have any intention of being our long term 7, he would've stayed at the Dragons.

Some NYC stats for Henry this season (not sure when they were updated, but nonetheless)
17 appearances
11 tries
12 linebreaks
18 linebreak assists
18 try assists
54 tackle breaks

And 2009 (NYC Player of the Year)
25 appearances
18 tries
19 linebreaks
31 linebreak assists
35 try assists
88 tackle breaks

There's no way we can have him playing reserve grade.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Funny, living in the here and now somehow seems more relevent than living in the past.

I agree, Henry in the halves and gids to fullback, but there is certainly a place for 'living in the now' in league. Players develope or drop off, form rises and falls and circumstances change constantly.

Lol. You are missing the point. It's not about living in the past, it's about using history to understand a situation rather than being blinkered and using a single situation as the be all and end all. But I guess you are one of the people that applies to the saying "The thing humans have learned from history, is that humans don't learn from history".

mrpwnd

Bench
You guys think you have halves issues, try fielding out Mortimer and Robson for an entire season.