What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glory, Glory to the Broncos

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21375266-5006066,00.html

RABBITOHS legends last night demanded Brisbane ditch a new victory tune which copies Souths famous club song, Glory Glory to South Sydney.

The Broncos have written new and contemporary lyrics to the old Souths theme song and may even play the tune after Friday night's match against North Queensland at Suncorp Stadium. The song was played for the first time at Brisbane's season launch at Portside last Friday night.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen admitted receiving complaints about ripping off the historic Bunnies song. And Souths former champions were not too pleased either.

"Why can't they go find another song and stop treating us like crap," said former forward Gary Stevens. "There's a million songs out there – why can't they just leave us alone. That song has been there with Souths from the beginning. Everyone knows that song – it is very special. I still sing it to my grand kids. They should have more respect for us – we are a foundation club. People will get the two songs mixed up anyway. It would be better for them to have a different song. What else could happen to us?"

Ex-Test and Souths back-rower Ron Coote agreed with Stevens. "They could get another song," he said. "That is a sacred song. It is ritual at Souths. I think it's a bit ordinary."

Former hardman John Sattler added: "It was the song that was played when we won premiership from about 1966 onwards. The supporters sang the song probably more than the players."

The song will be played at fulltime after each home match. Instead of Glory Glory to South Sydney, the Broncos song says: "Brisbane Broncos and we're proud."

"We have separate words and new lyrics pertaining to Brisbane and the Broncos," Cullen said yesterday. "It's something we are working on. The only criticism we've received is that it's to the tune of the South Sydney song. That's an old call to arms song. But a few people have said Souths don't own the song and we should use it. We played it at our launch and people were stamping their feet and clapping along. It's got that tune."

Brisbane said they will make the song faster to differentiate it from the Souths' tune.
Cullen said he did not want any drama with Souths. "I was asked if we should play it on Friday night and and I thought why not?," he said. "I might play it for 'Richo' (Souths CEO Shane Richardson), give him a listen. If he is madly opposed then we could pull it. And that would please Richardson.

"Glory, Glory is a major part of our history and for our club going forward," Richardson said. "There are a lot of songs on the market other than Glory, Glory. It's a tribute to the Rabbitohs. I don't see how it could be used by the Broncos."

"Why can't they go find another song and stop treating us like crap," cried former forward Gary Stevens. "Why can't they just leave us alone"..."They should have more respect for us"..."What else could happen to us?" Harden the F*ck up Princess.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cue the firestorm.

smeghead

Bench
Lol. Nothing new here. Brisbane showing their ability to think for themselves, nqboy laying poor bait for fishing and most people not giving a toss

Muffdaddy

Juniors
Maybe every team should use that tune and just change the lyrics.....
It'd be easier.

Glory, glory to the Tigers
Glory, glory to the Roosters
Glory, glory to the Raiders....

Its all got a nice ring to it, don't you think????

thickos

First Grade
LOL @ Souths. A few years ago they put out 'Red and Green Machine' stickers and a song to the same tune of the Raiders' "Green Machine." Hypocrisy at its best.

Lowdown

Juniors
nqboy said:
RABBITOHS legends last night demanded Brisbane ditch a new victory tune

Are any of them "legends" still alive? Does anyone in the Broncos give a toss?

Souths need to start winning some games before anyone listens to them.

yobbo84

Coach
Who cares? You know something like this is a non-story when they have to result to contacting "legends" in order to get a quote. If Souths really cared, they'd say something.

P.S. It does however say something of the lack of creativity in the Broncos marketing department. I wonder how much they paid someone to come up with that?

t-ba

Post Whore
Souths 'legends' should stop being so precious, the Broncos organisation should start using their brains.

Raider Azz

Bench
"Why can't they go find another song and stop treating us like crap," said former forward Gary Stevens. "There's a million songs out there – why can't they just leave us alone. That song has been there with Souths from the beginning. Everyone knows that song – it is very special. I still sing it to my grand kids. They should have more respect for us – we are a foundation club. People will get the two songs mixed up anyway. It would be better for them to have a different song. What else could happen to us?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone hand this guy a tissue.

Raider Azz

Bench
yobbo84 said:
P.S. It does however say something of the lack of creativity in the Broncos marketing department. I wonder how much they paid someone to come up with that?
Probably the same amount of money your club paid someone to rip off the Raiders song a few years ago.

yobbo84

Coach
Raider Azz said:
Probably the same amount of money your club paid someone to rip off the Raiders song a few years ago.

I doubt anyone got paid back then.. :roll:

MattJ

Juniors
nobody ripped off the raiders song, 1 line from the raiders song was on a website with the words changed from green machine to red and green machine to try and sell a crappy looking T-shirt.
Raiders fans are saying souths legends are being petty, yet you still cling to this 1 tiny indescretion as if it was the biggest sacreligious act of all time. Some of you even posted that souths should have been kicked out again for it........ pot -> kettle.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
hybrid_tiger said:
Is there ever anything that Souths don't whinge about? The song sucks anyway. It's 2007. Move on.

If they had re-worded Eye of the Tiger, you would be the first one on here having a whinge.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Ziggy the God said:
If they had re-worded Eye of the Tiger, you would be the first one on here having a whinge.

They wouldn't re-word it, because that would be stupid.

This is just another classic case of Souths whinging, "pride of the league" etc. Some things never change.