What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gloves off in the playground battleground

SweetLeftFoot

Juniors
That is probably because RL supporters in the UK are more affluent than the typical AFL loving bogan and can afford Sky sports in their house and watch the pre-recorded games at their leisure

Taunts aside that post sums the difference between the codes up well.

RL is a generally a sport people watch on TV, at home.

AFL is far more of an event/attendance sport. People like to go to it, get a sense of event.

SweetLeftFoot

Juniors
Same thing happens in Cairns so really doesnt mean anything. And careful SLF, Beaussie will be reading this and it will out you :sarcasm:.

Me and beaussie have crossed paths many times. They even had to make part of the Swans forum on BF private because I handed him his arse so many times they needed a private sook room.

Jankuloski

Juniors
I don't know what changes that much once you transfer from the TV to real life. AFL still has no build up of excitement, no rules that are observable and no apparent skills besides kicking out the ball. I met an aussie bloke once who was from Victoria and played AFL, and between him and a couple of games I caught on the TV - I still don't see any rules, except kick the ball between four goal posts like in that Harry Potter game. Besides that everything else is completely chaotic and boooooring.

We had it here in Serbia on cable TV and no one picked it up, to watch it or play it. Ofcourse, it took our federation 3 years of work to get ESL on cable TV. EuroSport2 probably got the games free from AFL.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach

AFL is far more of an event/attendance sport. People like to go to it, get a sense of event.

Rubbish.

League is captured on TV better than AFL because of the area covered in a play. The event bit -the only event AFL has is club footy. It is no more or no less than - at best - Parra v Canterbury, Brisbane vs Dragons or Manly v Newcastle.

AFL hypes it's product so much better than League - mainly because of saturated , positive coverage in the Southern states, but also because they control their entire product and not have to compromise with a set of twats run by a megalomaniac old goat in New York,

bazza

Immortal

Yeah - I suppose all the expat victorians go to the walkabout to get drunk with other bogans and reminisce about doing the same thing at the mcg. Meanwhile the knowledgeable rugby league lover will watch the sport at a convenient time whilst indulging in the more cultural aspects of life in London and Europe.

El Diablo

Post Whore
NRL Players Community Carnival Experiences
22.02.10 08:16

Over 500 NRL players and staff were recently involved in the NRL’s Community Carnival. “The players and development officers have done an outstanding job and been wonderful ambassadors for our game,” Mr. Gallop said today.

Cronulla Sharks new recruit Brod Wright

“It was an amazing experience especially being a city kid. the NSW country is really beautiful (apparently be- cause its been raining and its very green!) The kids out there really love there footy. It was really eye opening to see how such naturally gifted football players struggled so hard to get a regular weekend game and how badly they wanted to play.”

“It was really great to see how much the CRL pushed registrations and making sure kids got involved in the sport (even the girls who were encouraged to either play footy or netball.)” “The teachers also have to be noticed, they do such a great job in such remote areas (we went to Goodoonga on the last day, the whole school had around 50 students) and under such difficult circumstances. It really outlined how rugby league is such a positive influence on the outback community and especially the indige- nous community, where kids can easily be led astray by drugs and alcohol. The CRL Development officers were awesome, very accommodating and really showed us a great time.”

Canberra Raiders star Joel Monaghan

“The Community Carnival was great this year, we got out to some towns in the Riverina which is important for us here at the Raiders because we have a few players from this region.” “The kids at all the schools we went to were very excited to see us and I think the players get a real kick out of making their day just by passing a footy or signing a few autographs.”

“Its also good for us to visit this area as we see it as a really important fan base for us, as its only a couple of hours drive for the kids to come and watch us play at Canberra Stadium. It’s also nice to have some new fans to and hopefully they’ll get behind us this year.”

Gold Coast Titan Idol Matt Rogers

"It was exciting to see the amount of support rugby league has in the Northern Rivers area. Living in the city you can really miss what we do for the smaller communities that we don't get a chance to see on a regular basis. I look forward to spending more time down there, I loved it."

Rabbitohs players Dylan Farrell, Kane Morgan, Luke Capewell and Brendan Barnes visited the NSW Far West Region recently along with Souths Cares General Manager John Hutchinson, ARL Development Officer Mick Armstrong and Country Rugby League Education and Community Liaison Officer Kyle Myers for the 2010 One Community Carnival.

Players and staff travelled to Bourke, Brewarrina, Cobar and Nyngan clocking up some 1000 plus kilometres delivering Healthy and Active lifestyle messages through the Eat Well, Play Well, Stay Well program. Players also spoke of their own journeys including how they had coped with peer pressure, the people who had supported them throughout their journey and how they had used goal setting to realise and achieve their ambitions.

Schools visited included Nyngan Public School, St Josephs Nyngan (held at Nyngan Tigers Rugby League Club fields), Cobar High School, St Johns Primary Cobar and Bourke Rugby League Ground. Luke Capewell and Kane Morgan also visited Brewarrina Community Centre and addressed members of the community as well as visiting a group of aged care men at Nyngan Hospital. Approximately 500 children attended the clinics.

NRL’s One Community Director Trish Crews

Over 500 NRL players and staff were recently involved in the NRL’s Community Carnival. The following had been distributed to children: -

• 6,500 balls • 30,000 posters

• 70 bottles of sunscreen • Over 2,500 bottles of water • 7,500 wristbands • Over 400 schools • 100,000 school children • 78 communities • 500 Eat Well Play Well Stay Well DVDs and classroom resource packs

“The players and development officers have done an outstanding job and been wonderful ambassadors for our game,” Mr. Gallop said today. “Each year the Community Carnival reminds us of how much Rugby League touches people’s lives and Saturday’s All Stars match was a celebration of the amazing work the players and clubs do, not just during Community Carnival but throughout the year.”

Link