What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goal Kicking

LSCG

Juniors
Anyone with thoughts on who the goal kicker will be this year? I know Cam Smith took some shots from right side of field last year, but have also heard that Inglis goes alright with the boot.

shadow grinder

First Grade
Yeah sposedly inglis goes real good with the boot. I think if he can handle the extra pressure of kicking then give him all the kicks, with cam as a back up.

MONY

Juniors
Mick Crocker can kick too if need be and even Geyer and Turner so we have a number of goal kickers at our disposal.

LESStar58

Referee
Geyer was the leading points scorer in 1999...Turner was kicking a bit before he got hurt in the trials last year.

What? Crocker can kick!? Wicked!

MONY

Juniors
dont know about his Rugby Union career but im pretty sure he has not kicked for goal in his Rugby League career at any level. I could be wrong.

It's not that difficult to kick goals now is it?

shadow grinder

First Grade
MONY said:
dont know about his Rugby Union career but im pretty sure he has not kicked for goal in his Rugby League career at any level. I could be wrong.

It's not that difficult to kick goals now is it?

it was for orford.

MONY

Juniors
lol, yeah good point......

Orford was either very good or very very sh*t........ 6/6 or 0/6 take your pick...... usually he couldnt make the distance from the sideline to the goals...... why Geyer was given the flick after scoring 240 odd points is beyond me.....he is a winger and doesnt do all that much work so the extra responsibility shouldnt have been a problem.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
cronk did some goal kicking for norths but he wasn't too flash from memory.

i would go smith from the right and inglis from the left

MONY

Juniors
can't find anything on Cronk kicking for norths.......

2005: Inglis/Costin
2004: Marty Turner
2003: Marty Turner
2002: Cam Smith

Just looking at the 2002 norths devils team some players that played that year:

J Webster
P Whatuira
B Slater
C Cronk
M Turner
K Reynoldson
C Smith
D Johnson
M Brentnall
S Tadulala
M Sargent
M Russo
H Perenara
K Mason (Englishman I think)
I Sibbitt (Same as above)
F Moala
S Bell

The_Savage_1

Juniors
Queensland Wizard Cup 2005 - Round 9: May 7, 8

EASTS TIGERS 16
vs
NORTHS DEVILS 52

NORTHS DEVILS 52
Tries: Josh Tatupu 2, Anthony Boyd 2, Josh Graham, Chad Leach, Cooper Cronk, Marc Brentnall, Jeremiah Pai, Quentin Laulu-Togagae
Goals: Jeremiah Pai 5, Cooper Cronk
Team: Quentin Laulu-Togagae, Josh Tatupu, Josh Graham, Ryan Shortland, Chad Leach, Cooper Cronk, Marc Brentnall, Jamie McDonald, Nathan Friend, Pat Gardner, Aaron Bulow, Jeremiah Pai, Anthony Boyd ©. Interchange: Rob Tanielu, Antonio Kaufusi, Col Wilkie, Scott Anderson
defeated EASTS TIGERS 16
Tries: Trevor Exton 2, Walter Imo
Goals: Brandon Costin 2
Team: Josh Essex, Steve Beattie, Nigel Roy, Rob Maller, Walter Imo, Brandon Costin ©, Scott Young, Dallas Hood, Steve Goodhew, Trevor Exton, Mark Cantoni, Marty Allen, Matt Lockyer. Interchange: Nathan Vagg, Scott Sipple, Dean Howard, Rowan Graham
Venue: Langlands Park Date: Sat May 7 3:00pm
Referee: Rob Alexander
Penalties: Easts 7-3
Half time: Norths 28-6
First Try: Anthony Boyd (Norths)

shadow grinder

First Grade
The_Savage_1 said:
cronk did some goal kicking for norths but he wasn't too flash from memory.

i would go smith from the right and inglis from the left

but is there a need for 2 kickers? no other team does their kicking like that. It didnt really help us at all last year. Our kicking was good sometimes but over-all it wasnt all that good.

i think 1 is enough...and just use the other guys as back up.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
shadow grinder said:
but is there a need for 2 kickers? no other team does their kicking like that. It didnt really help us at all last year. Our kicking was good sometimes but over-all it wasnt all that good.

i think 1 is enough...and just use the other guys as back up.

i dont know the stats but i'm sure theyd prove that if you had two "identical" kickers, one left footed and one right footed, that you would be better off sharing the kicking so each kicker only kicked from their better sides.

i always thought teams should do this even before we started doing it. i guess my baseball background helped this.

shadow grinder

First Grade
The_Savage_1 said:
i dont know the stats but i'm sure theyd prove that if you had two "identical" kickers, one left footed and one right footed, that you would be better off sharing the kicking so each kicker only kicked from their better sides.

i always thought teams should do this even before we started doing it. i guess my baseball background helped this.

i understand that point of view. But i still dnt see the need for 2 kickers. Hazem el masri does just fine for the bulldogs all by himself. Same as fitzgibbon and same as andrew johns.

Goal kicking is a bit over-rated.

Hopefully Ingliss is more than adequate and the boys score a bit closer to the posts. :D