What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

ed-grimley

Bench
The Bears are like some man who caught his wife in bed with his best friend and then he is trying to win her affection back even though she just just told him he has a small dick and is crap in bed and that she has been cheating on him with his brother as well. Like "if I just get a new job and work on my abs she will take me back".

Man up Bears. Tell the NRL where to go including their ugly sister reserve grade league and go start your own shiny new league with all the hot, tight young clubs (Redcliffe, Newtown, Ipswich, Crushers etc).

B-League...(Bear League).
Why the Bear-hate? Seems a bit extreme.

Das Gupta

Juniors
In general I like the idea

* Doubles their supporter base

* Sydney away games will have better crowds

* long term 'Bears' is more marketable than titans

* gives them a clear distinction to the Gold Coast Suns. As is both teams present a bit on the plastic side. Bears provides a traditional name & strip.

I don't like the idea of 3 NSW games though. Gold Coast needs a full commitment to work, 1 retro round game at North Sydney oval should be it. Splitting home games across 3 venues is just way too much. Especially when those venues are so far apart.

Agree totally.

taipan

Referee
No more name changes,the 2nd Brisbane team should be the Brisbane Bears,with the old Bear colours.Play a game at NSO and 2 at Gosford..And 9 games at Suncorp.
Leave the Tits where they're at, the last thing they need is more disruption and dysfunction.

T-Boon

Coach
Why the Bear-hate? Seems a bit extreme.

I love the Bears.
If you go check the cave out I want then to start their own comp with all the other clubs that the NRL keep rejecting (Newtown, Ipswich, Redcliffe etc). They could do all the things that the NRL are too gutless to do like expand, have a womens league, implement all my brilliant rule changes.
The Bears just need to stop throwing themselves at the NRL, it is sad to watch.

Does Greg Florimo get paid to circle the bottom 2 financially performing clubs for the rest of his life like a vulture? As soon as a club gets in a bit of strife you can bet this bloke will pop and say "The bears are ready to go!". A couple of years ago he was set to take over the sharks. Now he's gonna buy the Titans. In 3 years it will be another club that's got itself in trouble. What he doesn't realise is there is a whole generation of league fans who don't even remember the Bears playing and do not care about them.

They won't be back.

The board of the Bears handed the keys of the club to Manly in one of the worst sporting administration blunders in this country and they are paying a bitter penalty.

Greg Florimo.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+world+has+turned+and+left+me+here

davi

Juniors
Wouldn't fumbleball still own that name?

I'm not sure, but I think its too aligned with the old AFL teams name to be a good marketing idea.

Also why should a new team have take on an old team's name, logo, and colours just to please the hanger-oners in NSW? QLD does not want old relics of NSW teams and the Ipswich Knights, or the Gold Coast Bears, or the Brisbane Bears it's all rubbish.

There are people already arguing that Sydney teams should be merging or cutting them down from the comp, not trying to bring old teams back through new locations and split venues just to please a couple of old timers who want to go back to the past.

franklin2323

Immortal
If the Bears make a bid then good on them if they have the capital and prove they can be sustainable.

But I do not agree with any home games in Sydney or Nsw for that matter. It should be a full relocation of the brand or not at all, the away games they play in Sydney should be enough to service old bears fans going to games. Maybe the likes of the roosters would host them at Gosford but putting them there as the home team for 2 games would be a slap in the face to coasties.

Teams sell a couple of home games anyway. So no different here if GC wants a FT team let them make a bid. Certainly get no favours with the stadium deal.

OVP

Coach
If bears go to gold Coast i bet you roosters will go to the central coast

Yes I'm sure the Roosters will give up the millions in sponsorship and business deals it gets from being associated with the image of Bondi/Sydney city to appease a group of deluded fans who don't even like our club. The central coast were given a team, but they decided instead to cry like a little girl and throw shit at the NRL. Bugger em, they don't deserve a club at all.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It makes sense. The Titans brand and the aqua and yellow has now had 10 years and it has not built a massive following. I'd be all for the Bears buying the license and bringing back the red and black (a better colour combination both for historic and aesthetic reasons) as long as the bulk of the games were still played in Queensland. Maybe 1 derby a year against Manly to be played in NSW.

The Bear is a better brand than the Titan. Red and black is better than aqua and yellow. Bring it on.

Whino

Bench
I have never liked the Titans moniker I would applaud them getting rid of the Titans (tits) brand.
But seriously how many times do a Gold Coast team have to change their name and colours?
How long will this one last?

T-Boon

Coach
I have never liked the Titans moniker I would applaud them getting rid of the Titans (tits) brand.
But seriously how many times do a Gold Coast team have to change their name and colours?

If they rename again they should keep it simple and rename to the GC Titanic. Unsinkable.

davi

Juniors

Fans in Gold Coast would revolt. How many fans with Titans jerseys, shirts, caps, then would be expected to trump up money for Bears merchandise just to please hanger-oners in NSW.

The people who support this idea haven't thought through the challenges and backlash this could cause.

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
Fans in Gold Coast would revolt. How many fans with Titans jerseys, shirts, caps, then would be expected to trump up money for Bears merchandise just to please hanger-oners in NSW.

The people who support this idea haven't thought through the challenges and backlash this could cause.

I'II rent a phone booth for them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The day a Titans fan comes on here and says they are all for it is the day it should be considered. will our game ever grow out of its NSWRL throwback mentality?

Knight76

Juniors
A nsw team buying a QLD team, then taking some of the home games back to their "Spiritual home" of NSW.

What could go wrong. I mean, NSW teams are so popular north of the border it's a match made in heaven.

T-Boon

Coach
What about changing the Gold Coast Titans to the Queensland Titans and have them play half their home games in Brisbane and half at Robina.

Latest posts