What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast / Redcliffe Dolphins - Farce !

Murphdogg1

Juniors
you seem to keep coming up with reasons why the GC didnt go broke, so why did they get thrown out???

dont give me the Superleague crap either

Razor

Coach
you seem to keep coming up with reasons why the GC didnt go broke, so why did they get thrown out???

Because News Ltd asked the ARL(who were the owners) to shut them down so the News Ltd owned Broncos didn't have any competition in SE-QLD

Razor said:

Because News Ltd asked the ARL(who were the owners) to shut them down so the News Ltd owned Broncos didn't have any competition in SE-QLD

That's right 100%. News had to cut The Reds and Rams and ARL had to cut Gold Coast and Souths but the ARL didn't or wouldn't cut Souths. So the three to go were Gold Coast, Perth, Adelaide. News then decided to take care of Southjs themselves and set up a bodgy criteria solely aimed at getting rid of Souths. The rest as they say is history.

t-ba

Post Whore
The reds were cut to make way for the Storm for Superleague II, because no Sydney club was willing to defect to make the numbers up. The treaty got brokered after the Reds Demise.

After the SG-I mergerer, News and the ARL 'mutually agreed' to rationalize the competition for the upcoming season. So the Rams lost thier financial support and Th Gold Coast were wound up, and Newcastle were given $500,000 of the Coasts' profits to prop themselves.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
ok fair enough GoldCoast were forced out

but if they had put up great performances on the field like making the playoffs every year then there would be no way the ARL would have agreed to leave

Knightmare

Coach
Go The Dolphins said:
Knightmare said:
Here's what it looks like to an un-biased observer, another reason why the Bears should get the first nod....

2000 Central Coast: "WE WANT OUR OWN TEAM!" Gold Coast: Nothing
2001 Central Coast: "WE WANT OUR OWN TEAM!" Gold Coast: Barely a noise
2002 Central Coast: "WE WANT OUR OWN TEAM!" Gold Coast: "Mmmm, yeah that'd be nice..."
2003 Central Coast: "WE WANT OUR OWN TEAM!" Gold Coast: "Yeah, we'd like a team again!"
2004 Central Coast: "WE WANT OUR OWN TEAM!" Gold Coast "NO, WE SHOULD HAVE A TEAM!"
:roll:
gee dont ley the truth spoil a good argument mate
2000 Central Coast had the Neagles Gold Coast Bid team starts working towards having a team
2001 Central Coast had Neagles Gold Coast organises trials with parramatta and warriors for 2002
2002 CC trys to kill off the manly run Neagles by boycotting, Gold Coast gets huge crowds to 2 trials.
2003 CC still providing lip service and gets 5000 to a trial, Gold Coast averages over 13000 for 3 trial games.
2004 CC cant fill their stadium for a rep game, the Gold Coast gets over 18000 for a trial game that was played in 42 degree heat.

We keep hearing the central coast want a team but what have they shown, very little bar an above average stadium and singo properganda.

The Dolphins on the other hand
HAve prooved they can get backsides on seats
Have 10 mil in the bank
Have a major and sleave sponsor
A jersey design and logo
A government commitment to rebuild carrara stadium
and the 6th biggest population of any city in australia.

The choice is going to be so easy
NRL THE GOLD COAST WANTS TO SAY THATS MY TEAM

What you are forgetting is that all these fans of the Gold Coast are only coming out of the woodwork and getting vocal now, at the 11th hour. Central Coast fans have been shouting the word since day 1!

greeneyed

First Grade
Denis'saints'Freak said:
t-ba the hutt said:
Glad that's been Established.

Would You mind a GC team Denis? Would you like one if Both them and the Bears got a license? Would you approve in such a situation?

I don't object to the idea in principle. But it would have to be done right – The Bears must come back in and one Sydney team has to go… to make way for the GC that is… we cant have a 17 team comp.

Now there's only one team in Sydney that has no moral right to existence, whose area is insignificant, whose fans are sub human scum, whose finances are shot, whose history is that of utter failure and bastardry. It will never happen though coz they parted their legs for uncle Rupert when he came knocking.

This is where those who want to re-shape the comp to allow for more expansion teams have gone wrong – they've cut down the great NSW clubs with glories histories and legions of fans while leaving the UTTER TRASH. It is these leeches and those in the NRL/Super League who support them that are holding us back, not people 'like me' as Diehard says.

I'm still trying to guess... is it St George or Souths we are talking about?

greeneyed

First Grade
Big-Steve said:
Diehard said:
Newsflash Denis'saints'Freak, the Super League war ended in 1998. Build a bridge and get over it, the rest of us have. We are trying to bring Rugby League back to life, people like you want to stuff it and put it on the couch.

GET OVER IT! GET OVER THE SUPER LEAGUE WAR! This is 2004 and we have clawed back and stand on the freshold of resurrecting our NATIONAL competition.

I can't believe you'd place giving some shithouse team that hasn't won anything since 1922 an NRL berth over the health of Rugby League in Queensland. One club compared to a state. Jesus christ!

You're lack of understanding of what people feel is PATHETIC!

Why should we get over it just because News wants us to. We are an independant people who don't except what happened and we have a right to.

Now you resort to slandering a foundation club to win your argument. Again PATHETIC! Do you seriously believe the Bears lack of first grade trophys deminishes there history and tradition to their fans and it's contribution to the North Shore society?

Of couse it does'nt. And while I suspect you are able to understand this you seem unable to acknowledge it. And here in lies your problem.

You AND the NRL must face reality the reality of how people feel and attempt to deal with it. Not ignore it and attempt to bury it in glossy promtion and over research.

Unless this atitude changes RL will became a plastic shell that nowone will truly care about (not in a traditional sence).

Norths went bankrupt. This is why they are out of the competition.

FLO

Juniors
Bronco fans should get behind the bid, they will get so much out of it having a local derby.

It could never be classed a "local" derby, a bunch of disgruntled league bandwagoners and a nsw side based in QLD, it would be more of an "exhibition" match. No different than Brisbane playing against a combined side made up of union, kick n giggle and netball players
Tell me what makes NSW foundation clubs more important than QLD foundation clubs such as Valleys? Norths aren't special

What makes makes your latest victim more important than any other bid?Why should people who have already wiped thier arses with thier own clubs and states guernsey have the opportunity to do it to a "new" club?
This wouldn't be a problem. If in 1987 we took steps to some how merge the NSWRL and QRL's best clubs.

YOU PIECE OF FILTH
How long have you harboured these evil thoughts? Were you even born in 87 You rant on about tradition, loyalty,QRL this, BRL that and talk like an oldtimer, calling people "son" and saying words like "bloody" all the time but you're really just a gutless young parasite trying to hide your dirty little secret.The party"s over LieHard,you've finally come out of the closet to show the world who you really are, the nswrl's #1 RENT BOY 1987-2004. Why don't you stick to sucking off the poor old souths supporters,pollute thier already festering horde of imposters and bandwagoners. Gold Coast locals and QLD in general deserve better than vermin like you.

DIEHARD

----
I really dont know why you bother to post at all. That was just a whole lot of baseless bullshit.

Saying that a Gold Coast v Broncos derby could never be classed a "local" derby, a bunch of disgruntled league bandwagoners and a nsw side based in QLD, it would be more of an "exhibition" match. No different than Brisbane playing against a combined side made up of union, kick n giggle and netball players shows how very little you know about Queensland and Gold Coast RL. How little faith you have in your state and how little you know about the feelings and demands of RL fans in Queensland. I think it is you who is dragging their arse over our state, leaving a skidmark if that is your opinion of Queensland's ability to field a quality 1st grade team on the Gold Coast and opinion of people who live on the Gold Coast and people who don't choose to follow the Broncos.

My god you are in for a shock when the Gold Coast get the go ahead. Both in terms of on field success and crowd support. Pay close attention son, you may learn something. ;-)

No two clubs made up of Queensland's finest representing two massive cities only seperated by a 100km. Nah that isn't a derby. Nah giving each of them a team in the NRL would be a terrible idea. It was good that the Broncos forced the culling of the Gold Coast and Crushers, we wouldn't want any competition and we wouldn't want to give the people of SEQLD who have been playing the game since 1908 more than one choice in the NRL. Anyone who doesn't like the Broncos can just follow the QRL and State of Origin or follow the Reds or Lions. The Broncos are the be all, end all to Rugby League in SEQLD.

Honestly who can deny how powerful and successful a national competition would be with the NSWRL with the best of the QRL. I'm filth? Queensland deserve better? You are the one who'd let Queensland Rugby League turn into a fossil and be totally overrun by the AFL. A combined national competition would have been the best and fairest thing to do. But sadly the time for that seems to be over for all accept maybe Redcliffe.

I'm such a filthy traitor to Queensland because I want a Gold Coast team in over the Bears. Who would be NSW's 11th club. The Dolphins have far more to offer Queensland and more so the NRL. I think it is obvious if any of us is a NSWRL toy boy it is you mate, someone who is quite happy for Rugby League to fade into the history books in Queensland and is obviously a closet Bears fan. Someone who wants more NSW clubs in the NRL, in a quest to turn the NRL back into the NswRL.

And what would my dirty little secret be? That I care for Queensland Rugby League and will defend it passionately and loyally? That it was a high crime to even suggest that St George, Parramatta, South Sydney and Canterbury being joined by Brothers, Valleys, Wynnum, Redcliffe and Easts in a national competition along with franchises from North Queensland, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Melbourne and Auckland to make a combined national competition, where people in Brisbane can also enjoy passionate tribalism and true local derbies instead of the stagnant RL environment that the introduction of the Broncos has left us with. I tell you mate, RL would be in a far better state now if we had a combined competition instead of bringing in the Broncos. The AFL couldn't touch us.

To call me a Blue, is laughable I'm more Maroon than you ever will be mate, in your wildest dreams you are nothing more than a closet Bear fans / NSWRL sympathiser. Before you try and insult and discredit someone, take a look in the mirror.

Make sure you wear your Blues jersey to tonight FLO you piece of ####.

QUEENSLANDER!!!

We should have the Gold Coast.....all three clubs join (Wellington, Central and Gold Coast) or ring in a new era in 2006 by calling the NRL the NSWRL if they decide to bring in ANOTHER NSW side that will STRUGGLE as its crushed between Manly and Newcastle.

Oh....by the way.

GO THE BLUES!!!!!!! 8)

JW

Coach
Agreed Diehard. But be careful about generalising about Broncos fans IMO. I'm itching for a local derby. Don't really care where the team is based as long as it's in SE Qld and in doing so giving League and edge against the artificial monster the AFL has created up there. 2 big derby's with 2 massive crowds will certainly be of benefit.

I am not all one-eyed towards the Gold Coast, as I think all bidding franchises should be included at some stage, but the Broncos need a derby - if anything it'll help the Broncos by promoting the sport in general and getting a 'healthy hate' develping between GC and Brisbane fans. Sydney has their derbys and its time SE Qld got one too, for the sake of the game.

Of course soem people have their opinions and perceptions on things, and thats fine, but collectively im sure you'll find many Brisbane fans hoping another team in the area can get in, and at this stage its the coast.

The way things are up there at the moment with rival codes, I put my reasons as the game first, and the derby second. Sell-outs at Suncorp and Carrara would do the game wonders in Qld. Broncos crowds this year are at 9 year highs and 8,000 up on the last time they played a full season at one venue so far. The inclusion of the Coast would stir up more support for the game, and like you said, for the other half of fans who love to hate the Broncos.

Cheers.

hop

Juniors
yeh because there's no rivalry between central coast and manly :roll:
if you really card about the game youd be pushing for 2 teams included 2006... the 16th being the central coast...

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
I thought I'd give my opinion on a few things stated in earlier posts.

Redcliffe have never claimed they owned the Dolphin logo they said they were dissapointed another League team in South East Queensland starting from scratch would use it without any consultation. The bid team said they did consult Redcliffe but if you class a 5 minute phone call 24 hours before they announced it national TV consultation. I'd imagine the Easts administrators and supporters would be dissapointed if they went with Gold Coat Tigers. They are not against the Gold Coast bid they just wish they picked another logo.

Redcliffe are affiliated with the Roosters the association is nothing like the Toowoomba/Broncos and Norths/Melbourne Associaton where they are second grade sides for the NRL sides.

Redcliffe actually put in a proposal to join the then NSWRL 12 months before the Broncos but it was knocked on the head by the QRL from memory (Could be wrong on who knocked it back). And they were sounded out by both Superleague and the ARL when the war started and were ready to jump into the ARL comp if the Crushers went to Superleague.

What's wrong with a club having aspirations to join the top competition in the Country. Although I can't see it happening. Redcliffe could put a side in and cover the costs themselves for 4 or 5 years but they would not put a proposal in unless they guarantee it for the long term. They would never risk what they have now and have worked hard for 50 odd years to build.

I am not all one-eyed towards the Gold Coast, as I think all bidding franchises should be included at some stage, but the Broncos need a derby - if anything it'll help the Broncos by promoting the sport in general and getting a 'healthy hate' develping between GC and Brisbane fans. Sydney has their derbys and its time SE Qld got one too, for the sake of the game.

It was the Broncos who plotted the downfall of the last three GC teams. :roll:

What do they want, a crack at snuffing out another?

NRL_man

Juniors
hop said:
if you really card about the game youd be pushing for 2 teams included 2006... the 16th being the central coast...
So there's a rivalry between the Central Coast and Manly hey since when have CC been in the same comp as Manly for this to happen. I'm pretty sure you mean NORTH SYDNEY you know that team that have almost nothing to do with the region on the other side of the river?

Big-Steve

Juniors
NRL_man said:
hop said:
So there's a rivalry between the Central Coast and Manly hey since when have CC been in the same comp as Manly for this to happen. I'm pretty sure you mean NORTH SYDNEY you know that team that have almost nothing to do with the region on the other side of the river?

The peole of the CC and NS rejected the Manly dominated Eagles. That is why there is a rivalry.

NS have more to do with the CC than any NRL team. Have done for 10 odd years. Why do you think players like Orford, Morrison, O'Mealy, Williams etc are all CC and played for NS.

FLO

Juniors
Anyone who doesn't like the Broncos can just follow the QRL and State of Origin or follow the Reds or Lions. The Broncos are the be all, end all to Rugby League in SEQLD.

You just don't get it, do you?
The QRL is the be all and end all of RL in all of QLD and the Broncos and Cowboys are the be all and end all of RL in the nrl. Why shouldn't the people in QLD who don't support the Broncos or Cowboys support the QRL? The QRL needs to be strengthened before another nrl side is invented.
QUEENSLANDER!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That just sums you up perfectly, rentboy.
You use a word that was hijacked by a norths/nsw turn coat, he puffed out his chest and claimed to be something that he wasn't aswell.
It was interesting to see that the first person to agree with you was someone who doesn't even live in QLD, but is "itching for a local derby" . This GC bid is all about disgruntled nsw/nrl fans, not Rugby League fans .