What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

jbl31649

Juniors
No extra time in regular season imo

Feel the same. Should only be in the finals. I mean at the end of extra time in regular season if no points are scored then its a draw anyway.

I think we had a handful last year like that. Whereas finals they play until they have a winner.

I do like golden point though, still remember the Chooks v Tigers 2 years ago in the finals. Might have been ugly, but it was exciting to watch.

Quidgybo

Bench
As I've said many times before on this subject, it we're going to play extra time it should be first to score four points not golden point. Under first to score four points, a try really would be golden, penalty goals and field goals would still count but neither a single penalty goal or field goal would by themselves end the game. Trys remain the most important form of scoring, one contentious refereeing decision in front of the posts doesn't in itself decide the game, but persistent rule breaking leading to multiple penalty kicks can still end it. Teams can score four points any way they like, one try, two penalty goals, one penalty goal and two field goals, four field goals. If neither team scores four points then whoever is in front at the end of extra time is the winner.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Im wondering why the entire points scoring system of the game should change from the 8oth minute to the 81st.

docbrown

Coach
Im wondering why the entire points scoring system of the game should change from the 8oth minute to the 81st.

Points are still worth the same.

It's just a matter of what ends the game.

A field goal in a tied match only ends the game in the final moment of a match, it doesn't end it any earlier. Otherwise you could call it the golden snitch.

There's 3 options -

1) End it with the score drawn at regular time and don't extend the tension for longer
2) Extend the tension but allow a field goal to end it therefore encouraging goal kicking
3) Extend the tension allowing field goals and teams to accumulate points with momentum shifts but only allow a set clock run down or a try to end it therefore encouraging attacking play

For me the most sensible option from a purely spectacle POV is 3

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Regardless of whether or not you like or dislike the golden point extra-time system, I think it's complete double standards from the NRL to use two different extra-time systems: one during the regular season and one in the finals. Completely unfair that something that will win you the game in the 81st minute of golden point during the regular season may not win you the game in the 81st minute of the GF. In the NFL, NHL, NBA and other major sports with extra-time systems, it is the same extra-time system all-year round regardless of what type of match it is

If golden point is scrapped for the finals, then it should also be scrapped for regular season matches. If they are going to go back to the old extra-time system in the finals, then it is only fair that regular season games should either use the same system as the finals OR have no extra time altogether (like it was pre-2003).

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
I agree. The only reason they had a difference in the pre golden point era was because you cant have a draw in the finals - and if you do it means an extra game. Scheduling nightmare.

I'm happy with golden point. It works.

wittyfan

Referee
Golden Point has been f**ked up since Day 1 and must go. Some f**kwit officials had too much beer at lunch during the 2003 conference and thought this might actually work.

Just outrageous that a team can lose without even touching the ball in Golden Point.

siv

First Grade
Another stupid example of why - a draw is a draw !

Tigers score a late try and miss the goal and time runs out

But they get another opportunity to win it after only just scrapping a draw in 80 min

Sorry I am not a fan - a draw is a draw

In the Dragons - Newcastle game - the Dragons had two oppounities to win in in regular time but chose not to

But get rewarded for a extra attempt at winning in extra time. They were dumb enough not to win the game in 80 min so they should be rewarded with another attempt towin it

Sorry another rexample - when a draw should be a draw

No reason hwy the FG attempts can't start at the 70-80 min period rather than in the 80-90 min period

El Diablo

Post Whore
3 for a win (normal time)
2 for a golden point win (if they still have to keep that rubbish)
1 for a golden point loss
1 each for a golden point draw (meaning that if it's even at 80mins, you'll get at least one point out of it)
0 for a normal time loss

s.i.m.p.l.e.

stupid

you have some games worth 2 points and others worth 3 points

also it's geniused to have a draw and a gp loss worth the same

supercharger

Juniors
In the NFL, NHL, NBA and other major sports with extra-time systems, it is the same extra-time system all-year round regardless of what type of match it is
sorry guy but both the NFL and NHL have different rules for OT in the playoffs than what they use during the regular season

The only problem with golden try is that teams will deliberately stand offside, not worrying about a penalty goal. 1 point for a draw (just like in soccer-1 point goes begging)

All semis must be 10 minutes each way, and only then golden point.
To decide a GF on a dodgy field goal is shocking.

Refs need to be stronger in extra-time. As you know I'm in favour of golden try. If you give away a penalty, you're giving away territory and another set of six. In the NFL if you score a TD in overtime, then that's the ball game.

Take 2 players off for extra-time. Also, start with a tap on half-way to the team who has scored most tries. If that is the same, give the ball to the team who was leading last. Teams will know the rules before they start.

supercharger

Juniors
stupid

you have some games worth 2 points and others worth 3 points

also it's geniused to have a draw and a gp loss worth the same
2 pts for a win in regular time
1.5 pts for a win in OT
0.5 pts for a loss in OT
1 pt each if they're tied at the end of OT
0 pts for loss in regular time

El Diablo

Post Whore
2 pts for a win in regular time
1.5 pts for a win in OT
0.5 pts for a loss in OT
1 pt each if they're tied at the end of OT
0 pts for loss in regular time

that's the same as the 4 point game option except everything is halved

stupid to have 0.5 of a point IMO

Loudstrat

Coach
Golden Point has been f**ked up since Day 1 and must go. Some f**kwit officials had too much beer at lunch during the 2003 conference and thought this might actually work.

Just outrageous that a team can lose without even touching the ball in Golden Point.

Pfft - they never had the ball in the previous 80 minutes?

Loudstrat

Coach
How about this El?

12 points for a win.
11 points for an extra time win by a converted run in try
10 points for an extra time win by an unconverted run in try
9 points for an extra time win by a goal
8 points for an extra time win by a FG
7 points for an extra time win by a FG by Benji or Soward
6 points for a draw
5 points for an extra time loss by a FG by Benji or Soward
4 points for an extra time loss by a FG
3 points for an extra time loss by a goal
2 points for an extra time loss for an unconverted try that's run in
1 point for an extra time loss for a converted try that's run in
0 points for a loss

Bonus of this scheme is that Souffs might finally make the 30 points they need to make the semis!

Latest posts