What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

Charlie124

First Grade
I shake my head in disbelief every time i read people suggest "1 point for a loss in GP" or use the ridiculous argument that teams "should be rewarded for losing in GP because of their effort". Are you f**king kidding me?
If you slog it out for 80 minutes and get beaten right on the siren then that's just bad luck, shake it off and come back next week. Just because you made it to GP doesn't mean you somehow deserve a competition point for effort, for f**ks sake its not under 11 cricket where the shit kid gets an encouragement award ribbon. The thought of a losing team earning competition points is ridiculous. If you lose, you get nothing. Simple.

Im of the opinion that GP should only be used for finals games where a winner and loser must be decided. Otherwise, a set period of 10mins (no halftime in OT) and the team with the most points at the end of that period gets the 2 points, if scores are still level its a draw.

K Mull

Juniors
Golden try is much better. Gets rid of the field goal a thon in extra time and it will get the teams to play more exciting football.

Jono1987

Juniors
Personally I favour having a draw after eighty minutes during the regular season. If the NRL is adamant on having extra time then I like the golden try idea. Teams can amount points over the ten minute period through field goals and penalty goals. If no tries are scored then the team with the most points wins. If a team scores a try, the game is over.

RedVDave

First Grade
I prefer the draw myself but to me it's obvious the NRL wants it to stay, IMO the golden point concept should only be used at finals time.

slamminsam246

Juniors
2pts normal time win, 0 for normal time loss, 2pts for GP win, 1pt for GP loss. 1 pt each for GP draw. Rewards each team for being equal after 80mins and adds extra meaning to the name Golden Point. I love golden point and the field goal element but it is wrong for a team to get nothing for putting in for 80mins. Knights and Sharks should have a competition point for there efforts on the weekend.

no name

Coach
You can't have differing amounts of points on offer.
If you want to give a point for the GP loser, all games have to have 3 points on offer.
If we have to have ET I think it should be a set time period.

hrundi99

First Grade
I shake my head in disbelief every time i read people suggest "1 point for a loss in GP" or use the ridiculous argument that teams "should be rewarded for losing in GP because of their effort". Are you f**king kidding me?
If you slog it out for 80 minutes and get beaten right on the siren then that's just bad luck, shake it off and come back next week. Just because you made it to GP doesn't mean you somehow deserve a competition point for effort, for f**ks sake its not under 11 cricket where the shit kid gets an encouragement award ribbon. The thought of a losing team earning competition points is ridiculous. If you lose, you get nothing. Simple.

Im of the opinion that GP should only be used for finals games where a winner and loser must be decided. Otherwise, a set period of 10mins (no halftime in OT) and the team with the most points at the end of that period gets the 2 points, if scores are still level its a draw.

The standard game time is 80 mins. If you're level at that point, why not earn a point as with a 'normal' draw? Golden point then becomes a competition for a bonus point.

I know this is a radical thought for some of you but change can be good.

Would Sharks fans not feel a bit better about the game result if they were walking away with a point?

Eels Dude

Coach
Personally I favour having a draw after eighty minutes during the regular season. If the NRL is adamant on having extra time then I like the golden try idea. Teams can amount points over the ten minute period through field goals and penalty goals. If no tries are scored then the team with the most points wins. If a team scores a try, the game is over.

But then the team it's possible for the 'winning' team to score less points than the 'losing team'.

no name

Coach
Why?

The NHL is fine with it.

Let's send Steve Matai out with a stick this Friday then.

Every game has to have the same amount of points up for grabs otherwise anomalies within the draw and table may occur which will cause a bigger shitfight than the GP debate itself.
Unless you want it to become like the Stuper 15.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
As an aside - why do points accumulated in GP count as For and Against?

Every other game the points accumulated over 80 minutes are taken into account.

IMO any system which creates inequities should be done away with.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Also, what about fatigue?? We all know how close this comp is, and how hard it is to get "up" every week, so what happens when a team loses the next week because they played for 90 minutes the week before and then had a 5 day turnaround?

The Sharks might be on 0 points if fatigue causes a loss for them next week. Is that really fair?

Quidgybo

Bench
But then the team it's possible for the 'winning' team to score less points than the 'losing team'.

Yep, golden try will never work.
I described a proposal above where it would be golden try and a team would never lose after scoring more than their opponents - first team to score four points wins. Teams can score four points any way they like, a golden try ends it immediately, as would two penalty goals, one penalty goal and two field goals, four field goals etc etc. The incentive remains for teams to go for the try but other forms of scoring still count. One contentious penalty in front of the posts won't by itself decide the game but continual rule breaking will still add up.

Leigh

Charlie124

First Grade
The standard game time is 80 mins. If you're level at that point, why not earn a point as with a 'normal' draw? Golden point then becomes a competition for a bonus point.

I know this is a radical thought for some of you but change can be good.

Would Sharks fans not feel a bit better about the game result if they were walking away with a point?

No, its not a radical thought at all, its just a dumb idea. Nothing more.

The entire point of the game itself is to win and gain competition points

NO. TEAM. SHOULD. EARN. A. POINT. FOR. LOSING.

trudge

Bench
it's not about the field goal - it's about executing skills and discipline under extreme pressure to get to the field goal.

Golden Point as it is (all or nothing) is dynamite. Great for TV and an edge we have over the other codes.

Latest posts