What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

horrie hastings

First Grade
Imagine had last nights Rabbits vs Roosters game had gone to golden point, with all the injury stoppages late in that second half it seemed the game had already gone on for 3 hours..

siv

First Grade
Imagine had last nights Rabbits vs Roosters game had gone to golden point, with all the injury stoppages late in that second half it seemed the game had already gone on for 3 hours..

Classic argument for not having golden point in the regular season

Concussion player welfare

Diesel

Referee
Bump.

Most refs won’t make any calls leading into GP, or during GP. When they do, it’s usually controversial.

then we get to GP and it’s 4-5 missed field goals

Pjf04b

Juniors
So will the same apply in the last 5-10 minutes of normal time as the same thing happens? Or do they just abolish field goals?

Pjf04b

Juniors
So we play a different game in GP? Why don’t we play two up or something?
If field goals count in normal time then they count in GP!

I'd prefer Golden Try, at least the refs will officiate it how its meant to be, all the missed field goals today had defenders miles off side in both games.
Problem with golden try is the level of professional fouls and slowing down the ruck will be exasperated. There will be little to no consequence for giving away penalties (if the ref even has the courage to blow one), so every break will be met with a fullback lying all over the ruck until 10-12 teammates are onside and ready.

wain

Juniors
bring in golden-try drop-off....the greatest of all extra-time initiatives (taken from touch footy), I think would work well adapted to RL.
2 players off every 2 mins. within 4 mins, you'd have 9-a-side.
no subs.
would be way quicker to complete the game without adding an extra 10 minutes of fatigue, and super exciting. would be interesting to see strategy too. do you still keep a couple of forwards on like in 9s? or get rid of them and keep all your backs out there?
Imagine how epic some of the highlights of foot races and the desperation of defense would be.

firechild

First Grade
Try to finish the game or its a draw... seems fairer then a side getting there drop goal charged down by a offside player then losing the next set.
Oh, my opinion is we should get rid of golden point and go back to a draw at the end of 80 minutes. I don't like golden point at all but I would like golden try even less. The NRL have decided that extra time is staying, so I'd prefer it stays as is.

T-Boon

Coach
Changing the rules and how points are scored in extra time is such a dumb proposition. You're on the intellectual level of Andrew Johns, that should concern you.
They do it in soccer, MLB and American football so it’s really not that big of a deal. It’s a very conservative point of view to be freaked out about it.

firechild

First Grade
They do it in soccer, MLB and American football so it’s really not that big of a deal. It’s a very conservative point of view to be freaked out about it.
Can you tell me how in any if those sports they remove methods of scoring points?

Latest posts