What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good NZ players who never played for the Kiwis.

sup42

Juniors
Dylan Walker has some Maori heritage I believe.

Laumape is another one seeing as he didn't stick to league long enough to make the Kiwis.
Yeah that's right. Interesting heritage, his Mother is a descendant of Fletcher Christian of Mutiny on the bounty fame and yes he is also Maori.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I always thought Fred the needle was because of "Thread the needle"

Me too.

Laumape is a good one, wonder if he'd been at the Warriors during a more prosperous time as to whether he'd still have gone to rugby. Always was a bit different, Laumape, quick learner and attitude was generally spot-on during a time when that was the exception rather than the norm.

As for the thread, Paul Atkins. Never gave an inch in a Warriors jersey.

sup42

Juniors
Although the thread title is Good New Zealand players who never played for New Zealand....I have an Australian who came close and is a name that deserves mention in any Kiwis discussion....

Darren Lockyer.

He was invited to play for the New Zealand All Golds in memorial of Dally Messengers efforts Staring for New Zealand hundred years before Darren was invited to play for New Zealand.

Unfortunately Darren was unable to tour with the All Golds and Steve Price played for NZ in his stead.

I win lol.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
...Darren Lockyer...He was invited to play for the New Zealand All Golds...
Unfortunately Darren was unable to tour with the All Golds and Steve Price played for NZ in his stead.
Getting Lockyer to play for NZ is like getting Billy Moore to play for NSW.

sup42

Juniors
Getting Lockyer to play for NZ is like getting Billy Moore to play for NSW.
You would think...but not so much...because being asked to step into Dally Messengers shoes is something no Aussie player would ever turn down unless there were family comittments as in Lockers case.
Messenger is Ed Hilllary to their league fraternity...the game is against England not Aussie.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
He played for Manly who were an ARL team. NZRL were Super League, so that ruled him out of 1997. What about 1996 though, did we select ARL players for the PNG and Great Britain tests?
Craig Innes is a good shout. It is weird he never played for the Kiwis. Maybe he got injured in the years he could have played, or maybe Manly banned him in the years when the Kiwis were still selecting ARL aligned players.

Me too.

Laumape is a good one, wonder if he'd been at the Warriors during a more prosperous time as to whether he'd still have gone to rugby. Always was a bit different, Laumape, quick learner and attitude was generally spot-on during a time when that was the exception rather than the norm.

As for the thread, Paul Atkins. Never gave an inch in a Warriors jersey.
An uninjured Laumape might have made the Kiwis, he's like a good version of Kata (does all the positive stuff Kata does but not all the stupid stuff), but he was always going back to rugby.

jaseg

Juniors
Given Shannon Frizell is about to make his All Blacks debut, could Tyson be on this list?

(no idea about the circumstances, so perhaps not)

Laumape for sure, and Cleary was eligible.

JJ

Immortal
Tyson grew up in Aust, and Shannon in the Islands - the connection to NZ for Shannon is the tenuous but I think - TBH the bunch of people that have played league or union for NZ with stronger 'roots' elsewhere is probably much longer

I immediately thought Brad Thorn - Craig Innes though, great call ,he really became a great league centre - a converts team would be pretty interesting - certainly Innes, Schuster, Inga, Ridge, Halligan, even Sherlock had their moments (or more)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Did Taniela Tuiaki ever play for the kiwis? I remember at one point there was talk of him on one wing and Vatuvei on the other but not sure if it ever eventuated as his career was cut short by injury.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Did Taniela Tuiaki ever play for the kiwis? I remember at one point there was talk of him on one wing and Vatuvei on the other but not sure if it ever eventuated as his career was cut short by injury.
Nice one.

I believe the wrecking ball would've made it if it weren't for his injury.

Then again he might've been where Sosaia Feki is right now as one of those players many believe should be in there but maybe never picked.

Oh there goes another one - Sosaia Feki as of this date. Hes good.