What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Mt Smart, hello North Shore

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11332380

Warriors told to go to Shore

Club furious at forced move from Mt Smart but planner says cost-saving stadium reshuffle will go ahead

The Warriors have been told they must leave Mt Smart Stadium when their lease expires in 2018 and can relocate to the North Shore - a decision that has sparked a defiant reaction from the club's chairman.

Facing a potential redevelopment bill of $70 million for the league club's ageing home, council planners have instead stitched together a $30 million scheme that will usher in a sweeping reform of Auckland's sporting stadiums.

North Shore's QBE Stadium is to become the primary venue for league, soccer and some rugby matches likely to attract fewer than 25,000 spectators, with Eden Park to remain the venue for bigger events.

QBE is to undergo a $12 million upgrade that will see a roof installed over the western stand and the ground's capacity increased to 30,600. A retractable roof that would enclose the stadium could then be added when funding is available.

The spending - which has been approved by Auckland Council and now needs only to pass through a public consultation phase early next year to become a reality - also includes $12 million for a boutique international cricket ground/concert venue at Western Springs and $5 million to assist speedway promoters to relocate from Western Springs to Mt Smart.

"[Council has] given us the green light to start drilling down into the detail and start negotiating with people," the plan's architect Robert Domm, the chief executive of Regional Facilities Auckland, said.

"There are a whole bunch of variables here that have to fit into place but, with the exception of the Warriors at this point in time, everyone else is on board."

A Warriors club that has vowed to remain at Mt Smart is most certainly not on board. Club chairman Bill Wavish told the Weekend Herald: "I don't place much credence in what Robert Domm has to say."

Mr Domm was due to exit his position in December and "we have been asked by the council to forestall legal action until Domm has gone", Mr Wavish said. The Warriors were engaged in separate "mutually respectful" discussions with council staff.

Mr Domm said the club's public posturing over Mt Smart was at odds with views privately expressed by its officials and was a negotiating tactic designed to get the best deal from the council.

"They play the game pretty hard. They'll say one thing in public and another to us privately. They can bag off at us in the media as much as they like but that is not going to make the ratepayers give them $60-$70 million," Mr Domm said. "How do you justify spending $60 million-$70 million on a private franchise when a whole bunch of community projects are being deferred because council can't afford to build them?

Mr Domm acknowledged the plan would be unpopular with a "hardcore" of vocal South Auckland-based Warriors fans. However the Warriors' own market research showed most of the club's fans in fact came from central Auckland, he said.

"Of course there is an element of Warriors fans that are [against] this. But are they going to put their hands in their pockets to spend $70 million to fix up Mt Smart?

"All the Warriors fans have to do is drive 20 minutes down the road to Albany."

Mr Wavish said Warriors' fans would be appalled by that stance.

Mr Domm said the Warriors would be offered a deal that would allow the club to build up its fan base at its new home ground.

"Our job whether we get criticised by you in the paper tomorrow or whatever is to try to find solutions and we are bloody going to do it," he said. "People have got to be realistic. There is not a bottomless pit of ratepayers' money."

Fans react
Auckland Council's decision to kick the Warriors out of Mt Smart Stadium is a "declaration of war", the club's number one fan Sir Peter Leitch says.

"It's bullshit," a furious Sir Peter told the Weekend Herald. "Absolute bullshit. The council are in for fight. We'll be rallying our troops."

A club ambassador, Sir Peter was appalled at Auckland Council's intention to relocate the Warriors to North Shore's QBE Stadium.

"This is ridiculous," he said. "Why don't they just leave us alone, spend a few bob and get [Mt Smart] up to a bit better standard. I tell you now the fans will not be happy. It's a declaration of war."

Sir Peter slammed the suggestion that upgrading Mt Smart was too expensive. "How come the council have got money to move into the big flash office blocks and they say they have no money?

"Mate, they find the money when they want to. They found the money for the world cup. They found the money to move into their new office."

The head of the council's regional facilities arm Robert Domm defended the decision.

A $12 million upgrade of QBE Stadium meant the Warriors would have two quality venues to choose from when their lease on Mt Smart expires in 2018.

"We are presenting them with a good alternative to Eden Park if they don't want Eden Park," Mr Domm said. "At the end of the day Mt Smart cannot justify the level of expenditure necessary to maintain that as an option post 2018. We can only be honest about that and give them years of notice. We are not just saying 'go to Eden Park', we are saying we will invest in QBE which is a good option for you if you want it.

"It has got to come down to a commercial negotiation and people have got to be sensible about it."

Mr Domm did not believe the Warriors would consider relocating to another city after 2018.

"We don't see that as a possibility. We don't see them walking away from their fanbase in Auckland simply because they can't do a deal to play at Eden Park or QBE. That's illogical."
Moving to QBE would be much closer for me but I'd still choose Mt Smart every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

JoeD

First Grade
Can someone please tell me why mt smart needs $70 million spent on it? I'm in the eastern stand and rarely go over the west but I'd be happy going back to the bloody scaffolding stand if it meant staying at my smart.

Part of me believes the council guy who says the warriors say one thing privately and another in public. Wasn't long ago warriors were hung ho on Eden park. Fan backlash changed their mind but maybe they are presenting qbe along with the council, knowing it is such a dog, that people will opt for Eden park.

Rich102

Staff member
Blame Scurrah for misleading the council into thinking the Warriors wanted to move to Eden Park. It was just plans for a Wayne's World.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
What absolute outrage as well moving Western Springs, the place is steeped in history

Hope there are groups out there that will fight these bastards tooth and nail

Diesel

Referee
If only there was a Waterfront Stadium proposed before the 2011 WC instead of an upgrade to EP... Oh wait

Benek

Juniors
Surely if it will only take $12mil to upgrade QBE to NRL standard and 30,000 seats, it can't take $60mil to upgrade Mt Smart! Mt Smart is already way better then QBE. I don't understand these numbers at all. If that QBE upgrade figure is accurate, we could make Mt Smart into a golden footy palace for $60-70mil.

I hope the Warriors fight this until the end. Just pisses me off that the Auckland council think they can move them wherever they want.

Having said that I might be moving up north-ish next year so it wouldn't actually be that bad for me ;-)

cleary89

Coach
Adding 5k seats, do they do they make another grandstand? Level 1,2 and 3 of the grandstand hold pretty much 5k.

With QBE costing $41 million, how does it take 60 to upgrade Mt Smart?

Diesel

Referee
How would the ARC go if for 12 month the Warriors said FU and lived up to the New Zealand part of their name and travelled around the country for all their home games?

Pie in the sky type stuff but I'm sure it'd affect the ARC budget and hopefully not take the Warriors for granted

Benek

Juniors
I don't see how travelling home games could ever work. They'd lose almost all of the season members and have to worry about getting new tickets sales at each venue. Sounds like a nightmare, not to mention sucky for the faithful who want to watch every home game live.

vvvrulz

Coach
I might be exaggerating a tad, but this is the kind of farcical move that could doom the Warriors as a club. Moving away from the fan base with a few more average seasons, and things could end up really glum

Good to see the pissed off Butcher ready to put up a fight, I'll be surprised if this move ends up happening at all.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
It's pretty much been coming for awhile, if the warriors really want to stay at Mt. Smart they should probably pay for it themselves as it's pretty clear what the council is planning on doing and it seems likely that's what's going to happen. I'm not really that opposed to the team playing in North Harbour, if QBE stadium gets redeveloped according to schedule (not sure if the plan proposed last year still stands) by 2020 the warriors would in theory have a 25,000 seater stadium with a retractable roof and 2 grass hill areas in front of the stands suitable for families. And bigger drawing games can be played at Eden Park. The only reason I'd stay at Mt. Smart is because it's the spiritual home ground of the warriors, besides that I don't ever think it's going to be redeveloped mainly because it's too close to Eden Park and only has one tenant. Maybe the Warriors owners should invest in an A-League franchise bid with an aim of playing out of Mt. Smart.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The whole situation just hammers home how much of a f**kup the Eden Park redevelopment was.

If it was a clone of Lang Park you'd probably have the Warriors trying to end their Mt Smart lease early instead of declaring war on the city council...

shiznit

Coach
Stop f**king crying ya sooks!!

Why the f**king hell should rate payers stump up anything for a private entity like the Warriors.

It's f**king shameful that the likes of the butch are suggesting they do.

If the Warriors want to stay at Mt Smart... How about Eric Watson buy it from the council.

Warriors fans need to realise that the Warriors DONT own Mt Smart stadium... They don't have a devine right to stay there...

Diesel

Referee
The whole situation just hammers home how much of a f**kup the Eden Park redevelopment was.

If it was a clone of Lang Park you'd probably have the Warriors trying to end their Mt Smart lease early instead of declaring war on the city council...

100% agree with this

JoeD

First Grade
Why the f**king hell should rate payers stump up anything for a private entity like the Warriors.
I would totally agree with you except for the precedent that has been set with Eden park - you realise the extra WC semifinal that Auckland hosted cost rate payers money. Not to mention Americas cup and countless other corporate events.

Diesel

Referee
Because the EP upgrade was for rugby, questions are not asked, the free reign that RU gets in NZ from schools to professional level is laughable at times. I realise RU is the national sport but the people of Aucklsnd are still paying for the 2011 RWC, 3 years later

shiznit

Coach
I would totally agree with you except for the precedent that has been set with Eden park - you realise the extra WC semifinal that Auckland hosted cost rate payers money. Not to mention Americas cup and countless other corporate events.
I hated the idea of money being spent on that relic eden park or for team nz...

But even so, there's a huge difference between money going to an entity like the Rugby Union and the Warriors.

The Rugby Union is an entity governed by an elected board who's sole purpose is to support the sport at all levels in NZ. The stakeholders are the unions spread across NZ.

The Warriors are a private franchise owned by couple of fighting millionaires... Any profits the Warriors make go into Eric Watson and Owen Glenn's pockets.

While I wasn't a fan of the Eden Park option.. What's done is done. Eden Park is no longer a RU ground... As far as I'm concerned they need to recoup that public money by playing whatever they can there.

By far the dumbest thing they could do would be to upgrade Mt Smart based on the fact that RL fans are shitty that RU's ground was given an upgrade.

f**king tough titties... You have multiple f**king decent stadiums within auckland. Use them.

I know of numerous youth outreach centres in South Auckland who could survive for decades on less than 1% of the money it would cost to upgrade Mt Smart.