What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gordon/Barba/Holmes

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
He will be 14 again.

Flanno was very happy he had a player to cover...all of the spine.

And will remain so.

Other observations, they attack our right.

Our forwards stood up.

Robbo has so many great qualities, tries his heart out...so tough and courageous....but....I guess we have no one else.

Card Shark

Immortal
Robson is going ok, as is Barba.

Can't judge a back on our last 2 games, terrible conditions.

Robson needs to do less kicking, give more of his share to Ennis.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
I don't get the Beale hate.

Not that it is a center's main job, but he took a lot of tough runs last night.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Beale is the only player I want to see out of the nrl team. Despite getting into dummy half and 'trying' to do the hard yards, he runs like a cat. He actually seems to run better from our own end getting out of trouble, rather than in attack... or am I just dreaming?
Obviously we need a worthwhile replacement/shuffle of positions to remove him.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Believe it or not there are people on here that actually think Gordon has to be in the team. I wouldn't want these people running my business.

The bloke is a champion and my kids love the guy to death, but the way things are currently he is the weakest link unfortunately.

Ads

First Grade
Believe it or not there are people on here that actually think Gordon has to be in the team. I wouldn't want these people running my business.

The bloke is a champion and my kids love the guy to death, but the way things are currently he is the weakest link unfortunately.

Agreed. Think flanno is afraid to drop him imo. First game Barba came off the bench after 30 and gordon only came on with 5 to go because Barba injured himself. Not sure of the timing last night but Gordon wasn't on for long. To me its clear he's the less favoured of the two.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Agreed. Think flanno is afraid to drop him imo. First game Barba came off the bench after 30 and gordon only came on with 5 to go because Barba injured himself. Not sure of the timing last night but Gordon wasn't on for long. To me its clear he's the less favoured of the two.

And certain people on here had a whinge when I said we should do the morally correct thing and release him mid year. He is a champion player and would be a massive gain for a club out there.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
About 30 mins, he came off directly after Souths first try.
I figured he had to be injured.
Barba played the rest of the game @ fullback, Holmes was stuck on the wing.

1. We need to give Barba another month his 2 games back have been basically wet weather not suited to him at all, dry field lets see how he goes.

2. Gordon, if he wanted mid year release would be happy for him to go, he now is basically only hanging on to FG and not his fault just that we now have better options.

3. On Beale if Gagan was fit i would believe he would make better centre then Beale immediately until then, unless someone in the lower grades is playing out of this world, i cannot see Flanno moving him

chewsta

First Grade
Sami Sauilumi Salami (SP) looked great in the 9's. A big strong tackle breaking merkin that ran like the wind. what has happened to that guy? He is a centre isn't he?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Todd Murphy constantly had the Jets on the front foot in terms of field position with a brilliant early kicking game that paid off in the 28th minute when they got on the scoreboard for the first time through Dallas Wells who sprinted to athletically plant the ball down in the corner. Nathan Gardner missed the conversion and the Mounties were up 6-4.

Gardner got injured just five minutes shy of half time but stayed on the field despite having an obvious limp. The Jets hung on with a wounded defensive line until the half time siren and the score remaining 6-4.

The second half began dramatically as Mounties player Mitchell Beggs had to be stretchered off the field after an attempt to tackle Saulala Houma on halfway.
The Jets reduced the deficit to two points in the 60th minute when Murphy re-gathered a kick and then put a second kick through into open space for Blake Ayshford to pick the ball up off the bounce and score a wonderful try.

Murphy took over the goal-kicking duties due to Gardner’s previous injury but wasn’t successful in evening up the scores as Mounties lead 10-8.

The Jets came hard at the Mounties with Houma leading the way for the forwards with some barnstorming runs.
There is a video, the first thing you see is Shyteford miss a tackle for a try

LINK

There is a video, the first thing you see is Shyteford miss a tackle for a try

LINK

Each game from Jets the name Dallas Wells keeps appearing he is mostly outside back, maybe he could be solution for Beale, if you move Feki to centre.

The positive is we seem though to have bloody backs for a change

RUBIKS

Juniors
Ben Barba Sharks: Cronulla winning streak hiding worrying flaw in make-up of Flanagan’s side

VALENTINE Holmes is fast becoming Cronulla’s most potent outside back.

Michael Gordon is a proven winger and goalkicker.

Jack Bird might well be leading the race for rookie of the year and it’s been his sensational selection at five-eighth as much as anything that’s turned the Sharks’ season around.

Yet Shane Flanagan seems determined to stick with Ben Barba on the bench — a tactic that at face value has worked, with the Sharks winning both games since the big-name recruit returned from a two-week suspension.

Dig a little deeper and the numbers provided by the Fox Sports Lab say it’s a ticking time bomb.

Barba has now played 88 minutes off the bench — 40 against Newcastle in last week’s big win and 48 in Monday night’s upset over the Rabbitohs in near cyclonic conditions.

In those two matches the Sharks have outscored their opponents by a combined eight points with Barba on the field. A pretty good result.

However, during the 72 minutes Barba’s been cooling his heels on the sideline, the Sharks have been double as effective, outscoring their opponents by a combined 16 points.

Cronulla have leaked more points and scored less with Barba on the field — so he’s not improving their attack or their defence.

Yet here’s what Flanagan had to say about the most expensive bench player in the competition late last week: “He’s a quality player and he will be in our 17 somewhere.

“He could trot out there on Monday and start, he’s an important player for us.

“Benny at the moment contributes a fair bit for us at fullback so I’ve a bit of rotation going on where I can move Valentine Holmes on to the wing and Michael Gordon into the centres if we need to.

“It’s a good luxury to have.”

477280-dacfb666-e7ce-11e4-a30f-c66423242607.jpg

Kind words from a coach trying to restore some confidence to an x-factor player who badly needs some.

But the data says they’re off the mark.

Barring an injury to Holmes, Bird, or Gordon, it seems unthinkable that Barba will find himself back in the starting 13 in the coming weeks.

So the argument Flanagan has to have with himself each time he selects his side is over the balance of his bench and whether or not he’s getting full value from it.

The data, limited as it is, so far says he’s not, and there’s got to be some reason the Sharks are the only side in the competition that carries a backline utility on the bench (Kodi Nikorima has most commonly been used at hooker by the Broncos).

Has Flanagan stumbled onto a magical formula and got one over the other 15 coaches or are Cronulla’s wins hiding a flaw in the make up of their 17?

Only time will tell, but it’s difficult not to get the sense Barba is only making the side at the moment because of his $750,000-a-year salary — even if the Broncos are footing the bill for half of it.

Source

I'd drop Barba, in my mind he's no better than what we have and doesn't add anything to the team. Feel for him but that's the way it is.

Also, if we do persist... I'd hope we drop him for Nu Brown who I believe would add more to the team on the bench than Barba does.

chewsta

First Grade
It was only a matter of time before Houma killed someone.
Would love to see this bloke reach NRL level fitness and execution of plays etc.
Just have Barba run along behind him for the offload the whole time he is on the field.

DJShaksta

First Grade
wow

poor journalist with nothing to write decides to use the stats from 2 games to construct a story supporting waffly speculation

Yeah that's what I thought too Millers.

1. Barba/Holmes
2. Fek
3. Gordon
4. Ricky
5. Barba/Holmes

Is what I want to see.

Latest posts