What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gotta love the bitternes coming from these old lol@souffs relics.

Danish

Referee
Crazy old man Sattler's rantings:
"He doesn't get involved enough, he hangs around and every so often he will make a great run, but he has no work-rate.
"His first half the other night was woeful, in grand finals your first half is crucial so he really played half-a-game.
"Sonny Bill wouldn't hold a candle to Coote or McCarthy. There's no doubt he has plenty of ability but in my opinion he just doesn't do enough work."

The actual facts:
24 appearances
278 runs (11.6 per game)
2620 metres gaines (109 per game)
570 tackles (24 per game)
13 line breaks
16 line break assists
8 tries
7 try assists
66 offloads
72 tackle busts

Yep.... just a incredibly lazy player right there :lol:

The only laughable thing in the entire article is Sattler actually having the kind of brain damage required to put McCarthy in the same galaxy as Gasnier, Coote, or Williams.

McCarthy was overrated in the extreme as a player, and has been a complete cancer on football since his retirement. Single handedly destroyed NSW origin, and has clearly turned the Clive Churchill medal into a laughing stock since becoming an Australian selector.

Springs

First Grade
I love it when dinosaurs from yesteryear come out bagging modern day players. The truth is guys like Sattler wouldn't make 1st grade today, the game has evolved so much, a player with SBW's physique didn't exist in Sattler's time.
Besides why are these souffs 'legends' wasting so much time bagging roosters players, they should worry about their own team's failure

Yes because if they played today for some reason they would still train like the 70s :roll:

All of the legends would make the game today because they would still have the ability but have access to all the modern training methods and adapt to all the modern rules.

The only thing worse than Souths fans criticising SBW is all the Roosters fans defending whatever he does or has done.

If SBW signed with Souths or Dogs or Dragons tomorrow the Roosters fans would be right back on to criticising him.

bellyache

Bench
I read that and I think he has a valid point.
Roosters are asking for salary cap exemptions to keep him.
Why the f**k should they?

Even his own kiwi selectors ( ritchie Barnett) don't rate SBW's antics.
Would only come into line with Cam Smith, GI and who could forget Dazza Lockeyer being only on $250k under the Bronco's cap wtf? Just to name a few. All have deals to keep them at their respective clubs...

POPEYE

Coach
Remember that the most recent South Sydney superiority era was encompassed by the 4 tackle rule in which there was no salary cap. Whatever Sattler says comes from playing in a team that had no peers with an experimental tackle count that was short lived because of a lack of credibility. I doubt whether he would have any idea of the intricacies of the modern game

Springs

First Grade
Remember that the most recent South Sydney superiority era was encompassed by the 4 tackle rule in which there was no salary cap. Whatever Sattler says comes from playing in a team that had no peers with an experimental tackle count that was short lived because of a lack of credibility. I doubt whether he would have any idea of the intricacies of the modern game

Coming from you popeye that don't mean too much

Danish

Referee
Yes because if they played today for some reason they would still train like the 70s :roll:

All of the legends would make the game today because they would still have the ability but have access to all the modern training methods and adapt to all the modern rules.

The only thing worse than Souths fans criticising SBW is all the Roosters fans defending whatever he does or has done.

If SBW signed with Souths or Dogs or Dragons tomorrow the Roosters fans would be right back on to criticising him.

Sattler would be eaten alive if he tried to play prop today. All the protein powders and weights in the world can't make you gain 5 inches in height and about 20kg in weight.

I also highly doubt that a lot of the old legends would have the mental toughness to complete a modern training regime, or survive the modern media frenzy.

Imagine Raper playing today.... Do you think he'd be down for only drinking one day per week while working out the other 6? I wonder how many mad mondays and off seasons he'd last before being chased out of the game for being a drunken mess?

bellyache

Bench
Agree! Sattlers arrogance for the modern game was first proven when Rusty took command and again now... He openly admits to not watching footy these days, the man is a wanker...

POPEYE

Coach
Coming from you popeye that don't mean too much

Coming from someone with the level of knowledge you exude I can ignore that.

Of course if you want a battle of insults I'll be in the cave, look for 'You were saying' . . . you can go first

gronkathon

First Grade
The reality is that players of the past really shouldn't feel the need to provide an opinion like this on a modern era player. The game is a different beast. Be polite and answer the question but refrain from detail.

However for people on this forum to bag their playing ability for their era is the height of tedium

betcats

Referee
Pretty stupid from Sattler but I reckon most of you are taking more offense to it the Sonny is.

Fat Krion

Juniors
The reality is that players of the past really shouldn't feel the need to provide an opinion like this on a modern era player. The game is a different beast. Be polite and answer the question but refrain from detail.

I expect him to say next that his broken jaw was far worse than SKD's!!!

ek999

First Grade
Would only come into line with Cam Smith, GI and who could forget Dazza Lockeyer being only on $250k under the Bronco's cap wtf? Just to name a few. All have deals to keep them at their respective clubs...

Lockyer was only took up $250k of the salary cap due to marquee and long service allowances along with 3rd party deals. All of which are available to every club

Bench
The only dribble is falling from Sattler and that other souffs embarrassment McCarthy.

Chook.
So true,it is called deflection,Bennett is a master at it,takes the attention away from the real problems they are hiding,42 years of failure.

Latest posts